First time doing 2 strand twists

Mercie

I did 2 strand twists on my mother's hair. I don't really like the result because, I wasn't able to smooth the roots. I started off doing the twists on damp moisturized hair but, it quickly dried up when I was halfway done. Could I please have advice on what I can do for next time.

I also try to do a part/bang but there was too much shrinkage going on. Any ideas on how I can style it for next time?

(I am not too good at parting, lol)

Attachments

• P1060774.jpg
    P1060774.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 32
  • P1060775.jpg
    P1060775.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 36
  • P1060776.jpg
    P1060776.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 35
  • P1060777.jpg
    P1060777.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 28
I think you did a pretty decent job! Thanks for sharing!

The only things I can suggest are, if you want a more uniform look, as far as parting, you might section the hair, via small ponytails before you start twisting. For example, when I twist my daughter's hair, I sometimes part it down the middle and from ear to ear, putting the hair into four ponytails. When I get to the twisting, I take one of the ponytails out and begin parting it into smaller sections, using some sort of hair clip to keep the remaining hair out of the way. To get the twists more taut so that the roots look a lil' neater, you can twist the two individual pieces of hair in opposite directions before you start twisting them around each other. Hope that makes sense.

Oh, and if the hair begins to dry, you can give it a light spritzing of water as you go along.

ETA: I also recommend ORS Lock n' Twist gel for two strand twists. It is not drying, flaky and gives a nice hold without being crispy! I think it might help smooth the roots too, but be careful not to use too much! I put a little on each section of hair, comb through and then start twisting!

HTH!!

Practice makes perfect. Your first try was great.

Next time:

Have a spray bottle with some water or a liquid mixture you can keep spraying to keep the hair damp.

Make the sections shorter and more narrow and you will have more twists and a little more uniformity.

You can also use eco styler gel or a cream that will help with keeping the hair from frizz or keep the frizz down.

At night if your Mom can try to braid the twists together like 3 or 4 in one braid all around her head and then unbraid in the morning that should keep the shrinkage down.

She can also spritz her hair a little in the morning to give it some suppleness.

You may want to try Care Free Curl Gold Activator/Moisturizer Mist or just a glycerine and water base solution to keept the moisture in, but if you are having seriously dry heat I would not suggest it, just go with the water and maybe add a little conditioner in it.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for all of the advice!

I will definitely purchase the gel you have mentioned and use both of your advice for next time.

I am not too good at braiding but, I will try to put the twists into braids before she goes to sleep.

Back