First time cutting, styling (and wearing) a wig: suggestions, critiques?

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Okay so I am getting in on the Hide Your Hair 2011 challenge and I was looking around online for some good, curly wigs when I remember I have a little synthetic LF that I bought a few months back for about $25 and I have yet to wear it because it looks soooo big and fake and wiggy. So today I cut it, sprayed it with a little mix of Rose Water, Olive and Jojoba Oil to pump up the curls and slicked some Ecostyler in it and I think I'm ready to wear it out! What do you guys think? I'm trying to find a way to make the front a little flatter, but not too flat, any advice on styling wigs would help! TIA!

Here is Rachel before I styled her:
RachelLF2-1.jpg

RachelLF1-1.jpg

As you can see, she was a little overwhelming and I never wore her out because I felt really self-conscious, like everybody knew I had a wig on...

And this is after I cut off literally a grocery bag worth of hair, rinsed her with the concoction, and gel'd her down (I had to throw on a little gloss and some earrings for ya'll...I was looking rough as heck!):
IMAG0165-1.jpg

IMAG0164-1.jpg

IMAG0154-1.jpg

I like her ALOT more now, but she's still too...poofy. IDK what to do to get the poof factor down a little more; it's already gel'd and spritzed, is there anything else I can do? TIA ladies and I am soooo excited about wearing her tomorrow!:grin::grin::grin:

i love that little asymmetrical bob/cut thing you did to it! it looks fine to me, but maybe some1 else will have some suggestions

I love it! - wouldn't change a thing. But if u really want to take some of the poof down u can get some thinning shears from your local BSS and take some hair out between the layers. If you do a ssearch on youtube u should be able to find a tutorial. I tried it on a wig and it really took some of the bulk out.

What kind of wig is that? I wanna get one.

You know it was called Rachel, and it's from Champagne and I got 1b/27, it was super cheap too,
it's Champagne Lace Front Wig Rachel - Natural Hair Lace Front - Afro Kinky Curly Synthetic Lace Front Wig - Synthetic Lace Front Wig - Synthetic Lace Front Wigs - Premium Quality Lace Front Wig - Cheap Lace Front Wigs for $60?!?!?!?! I didn't pay that much! let me try to remember where I got mines from

I love it! - wouldn't change a thing. But if u really want to take some of the poof down u can get some thinning shears from your local BSS and take some hair out between the layers. If you do a ssearch on youtube u should be able to find a tutorial. I tried it on a wig and it really took some of the bulk out.

Thanks, I tried to cut some of the bulk out between tracks, but I was scurred...I'm going to hit up Youtube right now, I should have known YT would have a tut on this. Thanks!

Okay so I am getting in on the Hide Your Hair 2011 challenge and I was looking around online for some good, curly wigs when I remember I have a little synthetic LF that I bought a few months back for about $25 and I have yet to wear it because it looks soooo big and fake and wiggy. So today I cut it, sprayed it with a little mix of Rose Water, Olive and Jojoba Oil to pump up the curls and slicked some Ecostyler in it and I think I'm ready to wear it out! What do you guys think? I'm trying to find a way to make the front a little flatter, but not too flat, any advice on styling wigs would help! TIA!

Here is Rachel before I styled her:
RachelLF2-1.jpg

RachelLF1-1.jpg

As you can see, she was a little overwhelming and I never wore her out because I felt really self-conscious, like everybody knew I had a wig on...

And this is after I cut off literally a grocery bag worth of hair, rinsed her with the concoction, and gel'd her down (I had to throw on a little gloss and some earrings for ya'll...I was looking rough as heck!):
IMAG0165-1.jpg

IMAG0164-1.jpg

IMAG0154-1.jpg

I like her ALOT more now, but she's still too...poofy. IDK what to do to get the poof factor down a little more; it's already gel'd and spritzed, is there anything else I can do? TIA ladies and I am soooo excited about wearing her tomorrow!:grin::grin::grin:
I think your unit looks great! Big hair/curly wigs are a bold move...gotta feel comfortable because they do get looks. Best advice I've seen- "Work the wig, don't let it work you!" (Muffinismylovers @ Youtube)

Back