First Steps...any advice

jeanessa

I have been a member for awhile, but not very active. I've read a lot but it seems overwhelming and hard to get started. When I first started reading, I started wearing a phony pony to protect my hair and it has grown obscenely from nape length to APL, very nearing BSL, with very little effort on my part.

I want to wear my own hair down sometimes and in protective styles that would be good in a corporate environment.

My lone salon experience was when I was 6 years old, my moma decided that I needed something she wouldn't have to deal with so she told the stylist to give me jheri curls. At six. I went home with a jheri curl and by the time I woke up in the morning, I was bald...like Vin Diesel bald. Okay, there were a few wisps of hair up top, but my brother took care of them with an electric shaver. I have more stories like this that I could tell, but I won't bore y'all.

What advice would you have for a girl like me who was not taught good haircare techniques, gets by wearing a phony pony and has a head full of extremely full APL 4b hair that she is very, very afraid of?

I want to conquer that fear, though, and have the kind of hair that I admire (full of body and bouncy)...any advice?

Hello and welcome. Congrats on your growth without really trying :yep:

The experts will chime in and give you great advice.

I am new to this hair care thing as well but what i can offer is something that i have learned over the past few months. Keep your hair moisturised. I believe that I have 4b hair as well and my biggest problem is getting enough moisture.

Aside from this I know that all the ladies here are more than willing to offer advice. HHJ

What do you want to do with all that hair? Wear it straight, curly, afro, braidouts, or twistouts? Is it permed or natural?

What do you want to do with all that hair? Wear it straight, curly, afro, braidouts, or twistouts? Is it permed or natural?

I want to wear it straight and possibly in buns to protect it.

Right now, I perm the new growth every 3-4 months or so, but it's very overwhelming.

I am new to this hair care thing as well but what i can offer is something that i have learned over the past few months. Keep your hair moisturised. I believe that I have 4b hair as well and my biggest problem is getting enough moisture.

Aside from this I know that all the ladies here are more than willing to offer advice. HHJ

Thank you! I have bookmarked Sistaslick's fokti and am making a list of products to buy (shampoo, clarifying shampoo, deep conditioners, leave-in conditioner and moisturizer. And I'm watching lots of youtube videos, too.

Buying stuff is the easy part, though.

It seems like you already know how to retain length. If you want to wear your hair out more often and have it bouncy and full of body, I would suggest you start out by learning to rollerset.

If you're relaxed you can get the desired look without using any direct heat at all.

I love rollersets and once you master them, you'll have many different healthy styling options.

I wouldn't buy too many products, you don't need a lot to keep your hair healthy.

I would focus on deep conditioning treatments and protein reconstructor as needed.

Back