First relaxer in 7 months

Sernity_Now

Hi ladies

I broke down after stretching for 7 months (intended to go for the full year) and I decided to try out the Silk Elements Lye relaxer for the first time. Well, it took at least 30 minutes for me to see any kind of straightening :wallbash: and now that I look at it I realized that I am under processed- I guess I had more new growth than I realized because the NG closest to the roots are straight but in the hair closest to the previously relaxed hair doesn't look like a relaxer has touched it because I was so worried about overlapping the relaxers

So my question is..what should I do?? Can I just let it rock and wait till me next relaxer (probably not for another 3-4 months) or should I try to do a correction?? Will this cause breakage??? I sure do hope not :nono:

TIA

Last edited:
Hi ladies

I broke down after stretching for 7 months (intended to go for the full year) and I decided to try out the Silk Elements Lye relaxer for the first time. Well, it took at least 30 minutes for me to see any kind of straightening :wallbash: and now that I look at it I realized that I am under processed- I guess I had more new growth than I realized because the NG close to the roots are straight but in the hair closest to the previously relaxed hair doesn't look like a relaxer has touched it.

So my question is..what should I do?? Can I just let it rock and wait till me next relaxer (probably not for another 3-4 months) or should I try to do a correction?? Will this cause breakage??? I sure do hope not :nono:

TIA
hmmmmmmm
id try to not correct it you dont want to over process a relaxer ever
maybe you could roller set your hair until another 9 weekend then correct the relaxer aka touch up
did you appl then smooth it with a comb to straighten the roots?

I would wait about 2 weeks to do a corrective because you wouldn't want your underprocessed roots giving you breakage. You have to remember not to leave the relaxer on for the full time for the corrective because you are picking back up where you left on.

hmmmmmmm
id try to not correct it you dont want to over process a relaxer ever
maybe you could roller set your hair until another 9 weekend then correct the relaxer aka touch up
did you appl then smooth it with a comb to straighten the roots?

I started out smoothing with the comb but that didn't seem to be working so I moved on to doing it with my hands.

I'm only worried that the next time that I do relax that the parts that are straightened now would become over processed as I'm going to have to smooth the relaxer over this part

I have been in this same position too many times to count.

I have tried waiting the full amount until my next relaxer before and in the end, it gave me more breakage.

I personally would wait until you have a little newgrowth and relax again. Apply the relaxer as close to your newgrowth as possible and as you start smoothing, pull the relaxer cream out so that the rest of your hair can process. Rinse the relaxer well and follow with a mild protein conditioner for a couple of minutes before you neutralize. Don't forget to really glob on that relaxer cream so that you have enough to pull through with.

I think it would be best to just maintain your regimen and wait until the next relaxer. Especially since you went 7 months with no chemical processing, your hair may be fragile and need time to recover.

I agree with ^ I too just relaxed after a 7 month stretch and underprocessed the front and back of my head just a little. I intend on waiting until my next touchup in about 3-4 months to correct.

I think it would be best to just maintain your regimen and wait until the next relaxer. Especially since you went 7 months with no chemical processing, your hair may be fragile and need time to recover.

I agree. I stretched 1 year and realized that I missed some areas so I'm waiting until my next relaxer in about 4/5 months to correct it. What I did was apply Profectiv Healthy Ends to the areas that I didn't want to relax and the product works like magic because those areas didn't get relaxed.. So next time I'm going to apply profective again to the already relaxed areas so that I can correct it. I know it's going to be time consuming but by doing it this way I'm sure I won't experience any breakage.

Back