First flat twists

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
:) :) Last week Wednesday I did my first flat twists ever! I'm so proud of how they turned out even though they're a littl crooked. That one more style under my belt now all I have to do is conquer cornrows and I'll be set. Mind you it took me about an hr and a half to get it right, but I refused to give up

I first did them with coconut oil but I think my hair really doesn't like coconut oil b/c they were dry the next day. So I refreshed them with Alma & Olive Heavy Cream and Honeybrush Hair Tea from Qhemet Biologics(I just got the sample) and wow did that make the difference. My hair is so supple, I love it.

I'm proud of myself. :P

Pics in album, yea I know Wednesday....Monday....same difference

ooooo your hair is so pretty and smooth and shiny looking. :) :) How did you get that look? I have qhemets heavy cream but never used it for twists, do you use it on dry or wet hair?

I found these instructions awhile ago on the web, so I decided to go and give them a try. I found them really clear. IMO Step 1 is pretty nonsensical and way too much work that you dont have to do

Instructions: Flat Twists

Step 1.) If you have curly hair, blowdry hair and make hair as curly as possible with out making the hair sticky and hard with products. If you have straight hair you can either set hair with hot rollers to form a curl or wait till all the twists are in and curl hair with a curling iron.

Step 2.) Start at the front top of your crown. (bang area). Take a small section of hair (about a 1/2 inch wide section) Hold it straight up and twist it with you fingers. Next, start taking small sections of hair, in a straight line, heading towards the back of your head. As you take each small section twist it into your initial twist. The twist should be laying close to the scalp to ensure a neat, tight twist. When you reach the back of the head ( about where you would put a ponytail, crown area) hold the twist flat to your head with one hand and fasten with a bobby pin. Now this can be tricky. You need to stick the booby pin straight in, facing in the direction of your face. you may need to secure it with 2 or 3 pins. Don't worry if the pins are visible, you can take them out when your hair is done or you can cover them up with the curls. Spray with a hard holding spray.

Step 3.) Take next 1/2" section on the left side of the first twist. Do the same as above.

Step 4.) Take next section on the right side of the first twist. And do the same as above. By working from side to side, you can ensure that the twists will all look even and line up on both sides of head.

Step 5.) Continue to work around the head until you have all the head twisted or just the front part. Some people like to do twists from ear to ear and not all the way around the head.

Step 6.) When all twists are in place, gather hair up into a pony tail. Curls ends and place where needed. You can fasten longer pieces with a hair pin if needed.

I think with black hair you don't have to use bobby pins to secure the hair in place,you can use rubber bands instead ...on (Step 2)

Back