First Comes Marriage -- a book on arranged marriages

Bunny77

Lots of discussion in the blog world looking at how many Indians enter marital relationships! I found this article today and what this woman had to say pretty interesting... it's actually pretty close to how I've felt over the last two years about dating and marriage.

I particularly like the bolded parts. :yep:

http://www.egothemag.com/archives/2008/10/reva_sheth_1.htm

Reva Seth

By Sangeeta Kumar

Reva Seth wears many hats - strategic communications, policy, research and writing and until recently corporate law.

Growing up in a white suburban community her parents were the only couple who hadn’t dated and the only ones that were still together. This set off a life-long curiosity about arranged marriages.

Her book, First Comes Marriage - Modern Advice from the Wisdom of Arranged Marriages examines "the Western model of life and especially love and how it can learn a great deal from the arranged marriage approach to relationships".

This provocative and unique perspective on arranged marriages offers seven time-tested secrets to evaluate a potential mate.

EGO: Congratulations on the book. It is an interesting take on a timeless tradition. Before we launch into what the book offers tell our readers about yourself. I believe you’re an attorney by profession.

Reva: Thank you! Yes – I am trained as a lawyer and practiced corporate law for just over a year. Since then, I’ve been working in strategic communications, policy, research and writing – very much a “portfolio career.” I recently moved from the UK back to Toronto and have one son who is almost 2 ½ years.

EGO: Jews from Morocco, the Chinese - is their approach to arranged marriages very different from the South Asian one? What are some of the cultural specifics that resonate?

Reva: What was really interesting was that although the individual details varied, the basic approach to arranging a marriage in all these communities is very similar to the one used by South Asians – a specific list of criteria, the involvement of families and a strong emphasis on shared values and backgrounds.

EGO: Essentially, the message seems to be that there is a more meaningful ideology to leading a fulfilling life and love doesn't have to wait for Cupid to strike. It can be created. It’s a perspective that might be rooted in a strong community support system. How do you see it fitting into the Western model of life?

Reva: I am certainly not suggesting that people have an arranged marriage but I definitely think that the Western model of life and especially love can learn a great deal from the arranged marriage approach to relationships. One lesson is the idea of taking a proactive and focused approach to our love and realtopnship lives. I think that for many of us, our dating lives are the result of who we happen to meet and be attracted to – although we research our colleges and plan our careers we are uncomfortable with the idea of taking a conscious and definite approach to our love lives. This probably comes from the Western cultural ideal that “real love” should just happen and come into your life. But as a result, it can leave us waiting passively or caught up in relationships that aren’t right for us.

A second transferable lesson from the arranged marriage model is the idea of having realistic and reasonable expectations from our partners and relationships. What I really noticed is that women in arranged marriages have a real understanding of the idea that husbands are life partners and not life savers. In contrast, so many of us today don’t even realize how much we expect from our partners. And while having high expectations is good, unrealistic ones are not since we just become frustrated when the men in our lives can’t live up to the men in our heads.

EGO: You say, “Sexual chemistry is not always organic”. Can you elaborate on that?

Reva: What I mean by this is that too often we expect sexual attraction to be instant and when it doesn’t happen like that we discount the person and move on. But what I found in my interviews is that genuine sexual attraction can grow over time and that often how we feel about someone else depends on how we are feeling about ourselves.

EGO: Being a liberal, one would expect some references to same-sex unions. Surely their experiences are different considering the obvious issues but at the same time many are in committed unions. Was this omission a conscious decision?

Reva: In the conclusion I do mention that that the point of the book is not convince anyone to have an arranged marriage or that they are better and I do discuss the flaws of the approach. Specifically, its an approach that brings together people from the same race and religion, something that seems to work but sits uncomfortably with my personal views. As does the fact that you are unlikely to have an arranged same sex union. As a supporter of all types of consensual relationships, I do think that the seven overarching lessons of the book can apply to all types of relationships.

EGO: While your book doesn’t advocate arranged marriages as the ultimate panacea, rather, it suggests lessons to be drawn from them, what can one learn from the flip side of arranged marriages, evidenced by stories of abuse and misrepresentation?

Reva: I am very careful to acknowledge that the 300 women I spoke with were happy arranged marriages and were most likely a self selecting group – happy women were the ones that wanted to speak with and share their stories. The stories of abuse and forced marriages are certainly areas that deserve more focus and as with all issues of domestic violence greater support from the community at large to help those in those situations.
However, First Comes Marriage really focused on just flip side of arranged marriages, the normal happy couples and families who come from a cultural landscape that views marriage and not women differently.

EGO: Relationships come in many flavors – the ‘open’ relationship is one form. There’s the account of the woman in Queens who has three ‘committed’ relationships. How do the lessons apply to people in these situations?

Reva: I think the overarching lesson of the book – that would apply to anyone whether single, married, dating or in an open relationship is that as a culture we have made finding relationship happiness incredibly difficult for ourselves. And what I really learned from my interviews and study of arranged marriages – and what I would like people to take away from it is that if we look at other models and shift our thinking even slightly, maybe it won’t be so difficult.

EGO: What’s next? A sequel or perhaps a TV show?
Reva: I’m working with my agent on some upcoming projects – but nothing definite as yet!

EGO: Thank you for your time and good luck with the book. Before we sign-off is there anything else you’d like to add for people to reflect on?

Reva: Not really - but thank you for your interest and if any readers would like to share their thoughts or stories with me they can reach me at: www.firstcomesmarriage.com

That was interesting. I don't think arranged marriages are always a bad idea. I am 100% sure my daddy would have picked the perfect mate for me ( if this was a part of our culture), because he knew my value even when I was too naive to recognize it.

That was interesting. I don't think arranged marriages are always a bad idea. I am 100% sure my daddy would have picked the perfect mate for me ( if this was a part of our culture), because he knew my value even when I was too naive to recognize it.

Yeah, I remember when an Indian girl in my high school wrote an article for our school newspaper about arranged marriage, and I was thinking, "Nice, but better you than me!!!"

But when I think back, I was so focused on the "arranged" part that I really didn't pay attention to the point she was making. This wasn't some child bride/forced marriage thing... the man and the woman both had to get to know each other and then give their consent if they wanted to marry. The only arranged part was really the families working to bring the two people together.

I also noticed that the Indian parents still encouraged their kids to pursue higher education and quality jobs. THEN after they'd achieved those goals, there was no fooling around for another umpteen years being single... it was time to marry.

I think that those close to us can pick the right one for us. Not always, but many times yes... as long as they aren't in a scarcity mindset.

I read her book a couple months ago :yep: I have to say I've always admired how certain cultures value marriage (Indians, Mormons). I wish our culture overall had something in place so that most of us aren't just "out there."

I think the basic tenet of arranged marriages are great. The problem is, people can't get past the 'arranged' part to see how they could be a wonderful marriage.

Arranged marriages IMO are basically bringing a couple together with the same ideas, goals towards marriage and family. Really.....like asking your married friends to set you up with guys they know that WANT to get married. I typicallly didn't date guys that I knew I couldn't marry or we weren't on the same page about getting married from the get-go. Now 'dating' I mean....FB's and dudes you slore around with, :look:see umm yeah those guys don' fall in the 'dating" category--women need to learn that:yep:

When I was dating, it was like ok- my goal in dating is to get married? What's yours?:look: Seriously that is the way women should date, focused and that the end result is marriage and marriage only. Now if you don't wanna get married then you just date to date and hopefully both of you are on the same page. Women waste too much time trying to figure out "does he or doesn't he" or "if we're gonna be in a relationship".

The arragned marriages I know--there was still some 'dating', in that the couple was trying to get to know each other; also for one guy I knew, they had three women he could consider, he 'dated' and chose the one he liked 'best'--with the end result being marriage. I don't see a problem with that at all.

Reva: I am certainly not suggesting that people have an arranged marriage but I definitely think that the Western model of life and especially love can learn a great deal from the arranged marriage approach to relationships. One lesson is the idea of taking a proactive and focused approach to our love and realtopnship lives. I think that for many of us, our dating lives are the result of who we happen to meet and be attracted to – although we research our colleges and plan our careers we are uncomfortable with the idea of taking a conscious and definite approach to our love lives. This probably comes from the Western cultural ideal that “real love” should just happen and come into your life. But as a result, it can leave us waiting passively or caught up in relationships that aren’t right for us.

A second transferable lesson from the arranged marriage model is the idea of having realistic and reasonable expectations from our partners and relationships. What I really noticed is that women in arranged marriages have a real understanding of the idea that husbands are life partners and not life savers. In contrast, so many of us today don’t even realize how much we expect from our partners. And while having high expectations is good, unrealistic ones are not since we just become frustrated when the men in our lives can’t live up to the men in our heads.

EGO: You say, “Sexual chemistry is not always organic”. Can you elaborate on that?

Reva: What I mean by this is that too often we expect sexual attraction to be instant and when it doesn’t happen like that we discount the person and move on. But what I found in my interviews is that genuine sexual attraction can grow over time and that often how we feel about someone else depends on how we are feeling about ourselves.

I love all of the bolded.

I don't get why people aren't more focused and practical about getting married. Yes you should have some attraction to the person but more so you should be evenly yoked with the same expectations for marriage and family. People let their emotions lead them too much and then they "fall" for some loser that they TRY and make the perfect mate, when if they cast aside the emotions initally, they may have not wasted so much time. I don't at all mean to take the love out of relationships, but focus on what you want out of a husband and not the way he makes you feel right now--because right now isn't gonna feel the same :lol:

Also regarding the sex cause ya'll know I gotta say something about that:look: :giggle: I completely agree with But what I found in my interviews is that genuine sexual attraction can grow over time. I think we had good sex when we first got married but it's gone so much above that because we're on a whole other mental level with it. As our rlelationship grew, so did the sexual chemistry. I honestly say to dh all the time "was it this good when I first met you":look: I think it was, but it's grown because of how we have grown with each other

I read her book a couple months ago :yep: I have to say I've always admired how certain cultures value marriage (Indians, Mormons). I wish our culture overall had something in place so that most of us aren't just "out there."

I agree. I admire how they promote marriage and family. I would even consider one of the more modern arranged marriages for myself.

That woman who is doing the "52 Weeks to Find a Husband" experiment has an interview on her blog with a couple who had an arranged marriage. Their families set up a meeting to see if they liked each other, they were engaged the next day and married the following week.

AA families and culture could benefit so much from this way of thinking.

Interesting.

I can definitely see the allure of arranged marriages - I like Zaynab's idea of 'self-arranged', so to speak marriages, where a woman actively dates looking for a husband - not a boyfriend.

My main - reluctance - to the idea of arranged marriages is that - whose values are the parents choosing based on? Theirs, or their childs? I guess the self-selection from the pool by the child helps with that - but, for example, my adult values are not the same as my mothers, and if she had collected the pool of my future husbands - yeah, not so much.

I think that's one major difference in Western society vs. others - our values often tend to shift, generation to generation, vs other cultures where you are the outlier if your values aren't in virtual lockstep with your parents.

Hrm. I don't know. I like the idea, but I just honestly don't think it would work in the standard American culture.

Thinking strictly AfricanAmerican? Hrrm. Might work out a bit better - but even there, you have the issues of how well do you actually know the family? I dunno. It seems like something that works best in relatively small, culturally homogeneous communities.

Interesting.

I can definitely see the allure of arranged marriages - I like Zaynab's idea of 'self-arranged', so to speak marriages, where a woman actively dates looking for a husband - not a boyfriend.

My main - reluctance - to the idea of arranged marriages is that - whose values are the parents choosing based on? Theirs, or their childs? I guess the self-selection from the pool by the child helps with that - but, for example, my adult values are not the same as my mothers, and if she had collected the pool of my future husbands - yeah, not so much.

I think that's one major difference in Western society vs. others - our values often tend to shift, generation to generation, vs other cultures where you are the outlier if your values aren't in virtual lockstep with your parents.

Hrm. I don't know. I like the idea, but I just honestly don't think it would work in the standard American culture.

Thinking strictly AfricanAmerican? Hrrm. Might work out a bit better - but even there, you have the issues of how well do you actually know the family? I dunno. It seems like something that works best in relatively small, culturally homogeneous communities.

Yeah, I think the author is actually advocating what Zaynab was saying, seeing that most of the readers of the book are Westerners that don't come from a closed, insular culture in which these types of marriages are the norm.

So in a way, the single folks are "arranging" the marriages themselves by dating strictly with a purpose.

I also don't think that the strict Indian way would work in most Western cultures the way they are now, including the AA culture. My parents mean well and I know they've tried to introduce me to people, but they really don't know the men they've introduced me to outside of occassional interaction... they don't know their parents, their value systems, etc., so none of those introductions have worked.

I think the author understands this too, which is why she mentions in the book that there are methods that individuals can use to model the goal of arranged marriage.

I think a hybrid works best.

Arranged but not forced.

Sometimes people forget that for many centuries arranged marriages were only about power, alliances, dowries and domination of women. Not to mention how many lies people would tell about their sons/daughters to make sure the marriage went forward.

If families arrange and let the couple have the final word. I think it can be a great thing.

I think part of the reason why the West doesn't understand arranged marriages is because they've confused it with forced marriages. Two very different things.

I believe arranged marriages can work. If two people meet prior to the marriage and like each other as people and like what each party would bring to the marriage, there are good chances of it working. In a true arranged marriage, if they don't like each other, they are not obligated to get married. Anyway, I think these unions prize financial stability and rearing successful children (in a 2-parent home) more than love. Love is something that usually develops after some time. On the other hand, many modern relationships work in the opposite way. Clearly, that way doesn't always work.

I also think for many people in other cultures love (by our definition) within marriage doesn't always have to be present in order for them to view the marriage as successful. I think things such as mutual respect, their partner being a good parent/provider and playing their role well is probably more important to them. Personally, I think it takes much more than love to create a successful union.

Although I am definitely allowed to pick my own partner and my father even wants me to date around, I do have family members who have offered to pick out "suitors" for me, so that we can court and get married. In a sense, I do see that as arranged since the expectation is for me to pick one of the "suitors" to get married to from the very beginning. I don't see this method as any worse than meeting a guy on my own.

Last edited:
I also noticed that the Indian parents still encouraged their kids to pursue higher education and quality jobs. THEN after they'd achieved those goals, there was no fooling around for another umpteen years being single... it was time to marry.

Yes! Now that I have finished my degree, I am feeling a little bit of pressure. This is why people are asking to line dudes up for me and why my parents are sounding that bit more eager for me to quit the single life. People are all :nono: and :confused: when someone is 27/28 are still single in my culture (or my family, anyway).

Yeah, I remember when an Indian girl in my high school wrote an article for our school newspaper about arranged marriage, and I was thinking, "Nice, but better you than me!!!"

But when I think back, I was so focused on the "arranged" part that I really didn't pay attention to the point she was making. This wasn't some child bride/forced marriage thing... the man and the woman both had to get to know each other and then give their consent if they wanted to marry. The only arranged part was really the families working to bring the two people together.

I think that those close to us can pick the right one for us. Not always, but many times yes... as long as they aren't in a scarcity mindset.

My brother's marriage was like that...he and his wife met through her father, who knew my brother and my dad from the masjid. My brother and his wife had some chaperoned "getting to know you" dates, and then got married. They've been married 2 years, just had twin girls and are very happy.

I think Westerners put way too much emphasis on the "oh I loves you so much & we fell in love & now we gon get married & live happily ever after". If I married every guy that I loved (or thought I loved) I'd be on marriage #3 now.

Wouldn't it though? :lol:

I think Zaynab gave some excellent tips from her perspective as a married woman who followed an "arranged" approach when she was dating, but ready to marry. :yep:

When I wanted to get married, I approached it like you would anything else--like is this what you want, b/c this is what I want? I just laid it out, like I would say ask someone about a job, that's how I approached it.

I don't find many women doing that and if they do--they do it to some fools you know good and well aint getting married:rolleyes: It's like why waste your time. I dated guys I knew that weren't marriage material but I never got it twisted, it was always that from the get-go. And I'm using date very loosely here:look: I find alot of women will start off with these guys-- randomly entering "friendships, dating situations, etc and it's all just that RANDOM, no directed path...A year later you're sitting around talking about "Where are we going from here" :huh: I'm like WTF have you been doing all of this time? :lol:

Also, to the women that say if you're up front with a man and telling him you're really dating for marriage--if that turns them off, then see, umm yeah, bye, they weren't on that page with you. For "arranged" marriages to work both parties are saying "I'm dating for a commitment". THIS is where the confusion comes--you continue on in some random relationship, just bumbling along or you move on and find someone that does want to be in a relationship that leads to marriage.

I definitely like this approach and I know it works very well. In my culture, people are "recommended" to you and it's up to both of you to find out what each other's values are. The final choice is always up to you. If within your suitors, you find someone with the same values as you then the next step is marriage.

It happened to me :grin:

^^ Did you find someone to court/marry? (I hope you don't mind me asking).

I don't know why she put it in white - but she did. :lol: :yep:

I definitely like this approach and I know it works very well. In my culture, people are "recommended" to you and it's up to both of you to find out what each other's values are. The final choice is always up to you. If within your suitors, you find someone with the same values as you then the next step is marriage.

It happened to me :grin:

Lol thanks! It's nice to know someone on here has had it work (I think jerseygurl is from the same culture as me). If I'm not married (or engaged) by X age, then I'll probably go this route. That's if my (extended) family haven't already staged an intervention by the time I'm 24 :look: :perplexed.

^^ Did you find someone to court/marry? (I hope you don't mind me asking).

Yes I did. My Aunt "recommended" him :lachen:. We hit it off, met and he was basically who I'd been busting my butt looking for here (it's an LDR but I kinda knew that I would go that route anyway). Yes we are from the same place :grin: (you and I)

:grin: JK you know I had to put it in white:lachen:. But seriously I've seen many successful marriages that started this way. Like the ladies have said you have to be marriage minded and seek someone who shares your values. Not to say that you have to cross the Atlantic to meet that someone but I found that the men I was meeting here either weren't marriage minded or had some pre-concieved notions about Nigerian females.

I asked my friend from Bangladesh about the specifics. For her it's basically like a job interview for THE MOST IMPORTANT job ever. Of course because the practice is cultural, parents and children are pretty much on board. Resumes are created with information like family education, so not only the candidate but the whole families' education is presented. Where you, your parents, and grandparents went to school, what jobs you had, what outside activities are you involved in. Then there are references listed and of course a picture is attached to each application. These are circulated amonst families and the parents come to a list of potential mates. Then the daughter goes through the packs and decides on the most likely guy. A meeting (face to face interview ) is set up between the two. My friend met/interviewed her husband at the mall after work. If they hit it off and both agree and voila.

I've known a few Indian couples and there have been some who ended up divorced or very unhappy, but most I think were well suited. They also IMO seem to match physically. Very attracted men are matched with very attractive women. Also skin tone and body build tend to match as well.

Bunny thanks for posting this. I read the book, enjoyed it and bought a copy for my sister.

I definitely see the mistakes I made in past relationships. I had a haphazard, whatever happens, happens approach. This book has shown me how to map out what I want and go for it.

Bunny thanks for posting this. I read the book, enjoyed it and bought a copy for my sister.

I definitely see the mistakes I made in past relationships. I had a haphazard, whatever happens, happens approach. This book has shown me how to map out what I want and go for it.

Hey, thanks for bumping this! I had the same haphazard approach... which I think is funny because to me, marriage (or not marrying) is one of the most important decisions one can make in her life, yet we're told to just go with the flow and "see what happens?" Fo' realz?

And then if there's any effort on our part to take some control over the direction of our dating and relationship lives, you have people (mainly men, but even some women), who will say we're "playing games." :rolleyes:

Well, since I posted this thread, my relationship with my guy (I had really just met him at the time) is still going strong. I applied the principles in this book and they worked, they worked, they worked!!!

That is part of it, along with emphasis on the individual first, family/group second. It's a trade-off: in our society, we make an independent choice, but then we're on our own. In cultures where you fit in with the family in choosing a spouse, they shore up your marriage as time goes along.

IMO part of what makes arranged marriages strong is the extended family become stakeholders in the marriage working. Sort of the "takes a village" concept applied to marriage.

I grew up in a half Indian, half Black society, so I've seen arranged marriages around me. The surest way to know that they work is to look at the divorce rate, as compared to that of the Western population. So many of us scoff at the idea, but it's OUR marriages that are failing.

What makes these marriages work is that when parents are looking for spouses for their children, they are basing their judgments on the main thing that is supposed to be the foundation of a good marriage - a similar value system.

Back