Fine stranded ladies! Please post 2007 Updates.

ladytq

I read the "fine stranded ladies" post below and most of the post were from 2005:eek: . So I thought it would be a good time in 2007 for some updates on new regimen and products that has been working for you. Your fellow fine ladies will thank you:grin:.

A'ight--just replied on that thread and I'll be the first to check in here!

I switched my relaxer to ORS Olive Oil normal and it made my hair very happy. I also like their Olive Oil moisturing hair lotion for when my hair feels dry. Profectiv breakfree works for me as well.

LOVE Neutrogena Triple Moisture! That's my best find yet. I tried the Hello Hydration, but it was meh. The NTM makes my hair feel wonderful.

I've also gotten the hang of stretching my relaxers for a couple of months with the help of S-Curl (I use the silver/blue bottle), which makes an amazing difference detangling the new growth. Hoping to try Cassia soon--but no Henna. I like my color.

Thanks blue217 for posting update. I'm glad that you found products thats working for ya!!!!

Representin for 07. ;)

Current relaxer: Design's Touch Mild
Products I love
HENNA HENNA HENNA HENNA and.....HENNA
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner and Leave In
Giovanni Direct Leave In
Aubrey Organics GPB (protein conditioner)
Elasta QP DPR11

I use ORS Olive Oil in Normal. I tried henna twice in hopes of thickening my hair up but the jury's still out on that one for me. What does work well for me is deep conditioning & not using alot of heat protectant when flat-ironing.

Cayenne0622 said:
Representin for 07. ;)

Current relaxer: Design's Touch Mild
Products I love
HENNA HENNA HENNA HENNA and.....HENNA
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner and Leave In
Giovanni Direct Leave In
Aubrey Organics GPB (protein conditioner)
Elasta QP DPR11

I have to admit I love henna too. I'm still tweeking my recipe. One thing for sure next time I'm gonna use more conditoner than henna in the mixture. That should combat the dryness.

I'm a relative newbie....but here are mine

Relaxer - Mizani Mild
Growth aids - ultranourishhair, MTG (inconsistently), Black castor oil, coconut oil
Shampoo - One of the many laying around the house lol ( CON, Nexxus, etc)
Conditioner - Hello Hydration, Keraphix, Humectress, NTM
Deep Conditioner - Lekair Cholesterol Conditioner mixed with castor oil
Leave ins- NTM, coconut oil, castor oil, a mix (infusium, water, honey, aloe vera gel, and taliah wajiid's (sp?) oil)

I have alot of hair products but I'm shaving down to a hand full of staples. It's a process... lol

Good thread!

I am natural, relaxer free since 2/2004.

Used to use a Carolyn Gray-type regiment but now I have a new regiment.

I now color my hair w/Henna bi-weekly (great for coloring grays and for strenghthening), followed by either Tropical Avocado or a carrot oil hot oil treatment. I wash with CON on "henna" weeks.

On alternate weeks I wash and condition with Elucense, and deep condition with either ORS Mayo OR Elucense & Fantasia IC Deep Penetrating Moisturizer, OR ION Effective Care Treatment Protein ReBuilder & Moisturizer. I always air dry.

I have a very busy job (I run my own law firm) so my hair needs to be professional and simple. So I bun or wear phony ponies 95% of the time. I Plan to try the "baggie method" soon with this. I moisturize daily with Mane and Tail conditioner and detangler, and put home-made shea/mango butter w/essential oils on my ends. Very SELDOM do I blowdry, flat iron or use heat, because quite frankly I don't have the time for it (max 1 every 2 months). I am learning to use the comb and soft-bristle brush RARELY and use my fingers more.

My goal is to apply MTG Alternative every other night to my scalp & the next a.m. I clean my scalp with a conditioning wash.

My vitamins: Pathenol, B-complex, UltraNourishair, Biotin, Vit E, Bonecare, MSM, flaxseed oil, eve. primrose, CLA, and a multi. One of my New Year's resolutions is to become CONSISTENT with the vites and the MTG

I'd love to hear more about other's regiments-we fine-haired ladies have hair that can at times be a challenge to care for and grow

Another fine stranded lady checking in:

Relaxer - Motions Mild (bi-monthly)
Shampoo - Motions Neutralizing Shampoo (bi-monthly & diluted for weekly poos)
Deep Conditioner - Motions Moisture Plus (after shampoos/sometimes after co-wash)
Co-Washes - Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner (sometimes)
Moisturizer - Water and Suave Coconut Conditioiner spritz (2-3x a week)
Oils for scalp and/or ends - evoo, amla lite or vatika oil (2-3x a week)
Henna (at least 2x a month)

Last edited:
Ladytq, glad to see you love henna, too. I add 1 tbsp. of avocado oil to my mixture, and after rinsing out the henna I condition with either Tropical Avocado conditioner, or a hot oil treatment, and I have not experience any dryness with the henna.

ladytq said:
I have to admit I love henna too. I'm still tweeking my recipe. One thing for sure next time I'm gonna use more conditoner than henna in the mixture. That should combat the dryness.

Last edited:
CynamonKis said:
Ladytq, glad to see you love henna, too. I add 1 tbsp. of avocado oil to my mixture, and after rinsing out the henna I condition with either Tropical Avocado conditioner, or a hot oil treatment, and I not not experience any dryness with the henna.

Hot oil treatment hmmmm, let me add that to things I should do after henna treatments. Thank Cynamonkis!;)

Relaxer:
Phytospecific :love:

Shampoos:
Breakthru
Phytospecific Intense Nutrition
Jason's

Conditioners:
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner :love:,Mask, Serum and Leave In
Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner
Phytospecific Intense Nutrition Conditioner
White Rain Tropical Coconut Conditioner
V05 Tea Therapy Conditioner
Mane N Tail Original Conditioner
Olive Oil and Cholesterol/Aloe Vera and Cholesterol

Treatments:
Aphogee
Duo Tex
Ojon Restorative
Phytospecific

Oils:
Hot Six
Ginseng Miracle Oil (just added, :love:)
Coconut
Palm
Sesame
Sweet Almond
Black Castor

Moisturizers:
Kids Organics Detangling Moisturizing Lotion
ORS Olive Oil
Silk Elements Revive & Restore

Next to try/implement:
Cassia (don't wish to change hair color)

I think I have fine strands. I used to think I had thick hair, but I question that now. How can you tell?

HoneyDew said:
I think I have fine strands. I used to think I had thick hair, but I question that now. How can you tell?
\

I don't really know how to describe, I don't have a way with words. I did bump "where are all the finestranded ladies at" thread. You can read through and find characterics of fine hair. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

HoneyDew said:

The size of a lot of the strands should remind you of a baby's hair, diameter-wise, because all babies have fine hair.

Fine Haired sista checking in!!!

Hrrmmm - my main thing is a LOT of conditioners (I'm officially in love with Humectress), coconut milk soaks (moisture and protien), henna (strengtens & thickens) and protective styling. Really, my main need is moisture, moisture, moisture - letting my hair get dry INSURES I'm going to start seeing more breakage.
Also - for my hair - chemicals of any sort are the death - hair dye, relaxers, etc - anything that chemically impacts my hair = bad/breakage.

I have been using castor oil and it has helped a lot not only with the thickness of my hair (I have thin hair) but the thickness of the strands as well, which addresses the whole fine hair issues. It won't change the type of hair you have, but if adds something to it, if that makes sense.
other than that I have been doing the CAG method which helps to protect my delicate hairs.

My hair is fine and thin and I have been using castor oil too and it seems to be working. It feels like it coats the strands of the hair. I just mixed my first batch of Henna and I'll be applying it in another day or too so I'll see what that does.

Fine hair chick checking in. I really don't have my staples STILL. But here are some things that I have been using

RELAXER
Elucence regular - I REALLY want to switch to Phyto. I want more body in my hair.

SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER
I am one of the few who uses and really likes Mizani BotaniFying Shampoo and Moisturefuse conditioner. They both have just the right amount of moisture for me and I do not find them to be too heavy or coat my hair too much.

CLARIFYING MORE OFTEN
In general, I feel that I need to clarify more than I thought in the past. Because the hair gets weighed down so easy, I find that it helps to do this at least every other week. Sometimes more depending on what is on my hair. I like Rusk's Rosemary clarifying shampoo. But Mizani's is nice as well.

OTHER PRODUCTS
Hollywood Carrot oil - I have used this for a while. I find it very light and softens the hair well with sheen.

KeraCare Oil for the hair - I use this mixed with Rosewater as a daily spray

Jane Carter Nourish & Shine - good for the ends.

AG Fast Food Leave In - this is one of the best leave ins I have used.

Rosewater - Feels dewy and a bit of a step up from plain water. I like it mixed with the KeraCare oil for a daily spritz.

Check out my Fokti, I just put it up not long ago. My pics are new and the products are listed below. Check it out...

The last relaxer I got was on October 24, 2006 and it was a no-lye relaxer (which was also underprocessed). It was Alter Ego. I will get another relaxer on February 10, 2007 and it will be back to my normal lye relaxer (Essations)

Since my last relaxer, I have been mainly shampooing and letting my hair air dry in a bun. (got a lot of NG really quick plus the fact that my last relaxer was underprocessed makes it difficult to rollerset). This style doesn't allow for manipulation except once a day to take the hair out of a bun, moisturize, seal, and pin back up. I have been using castor oil on my scalp and I have used cassia twice during the month of December. I went to the Dominicans 3 weeks ago to let them rollerset and I can honestly say that the castor oil is paying off b/c my hair is hella thicker!:lol:

I will continue this winter routine each week until February (shampoo, deep condition, air dry in a bun) until when I relax and then I will follow up and get highlights on February 24th. (hadn't had any color in over a year)

After I get my next touch up, it will be spring, and I will have more time to deal with my hair and will start rollersetting weekly again.

I still use NTM Silk Therapy as a daily moisturizer and have added Dabur Vatika Oil to my routine and I really like it. I will be using it to seal my ends. It's very light and gives great shine.

I've had continued success with Paul Mitchell as a deep conditioner. It airdries may hair so well. Almond Oil has proven to be light and moisturizing. Kerpahix has been a great leave in for my rollersets. I added honey to my conditioner 2 washes back and my hair air dried with lots of smoothness.

Re: I'm a relative newbie....but here are mine

Fine haired lady checking in. For the new year I am aiming to gain 2-3 solid inches of growth for my graduation in May. I stretched my perm to over 3 months (with the intention to transition) with no extra breakage--didn't know that I could do that. I just tried a miracle combo of hair products that left my hair looking like I had just left the salon. I used Joico K-pack shampoo and conditioner (not the reconstructor--$$$) and aphogee 2 min reconstructor. I then wrapped my hair and sat under the dryer. I rolled my hair on satin-covered foam rollers and my hair was soft, silky, and bouncy in the morning with lots of body. I can't wait to use this combo again. Also, I had absolutely no breakage after this combo. It was quick and easy with great results. Also, no longer relaxing bone-straight.

HoneyDew said:

Look at the diameter of you strands to tell. I guess it's all relative. Also, you may still have thick hair even though the strands are fine. Fine hair is usually soft and the strands can be very fragile compared to coarser textures.

nappywomyn said:
Fine Haired sista checking in!!!

Hrrmmm - my main thing is a LOT of conditioners (I'm officially in love with Humectress), coconut milk soaks (moisture and protien), henna (strengtens & thickens) and protective styling. Really, my main need is moisture, moisture, moisture - letting my hair get dry INSURES I'm going to start seeing more breakage.
Also - for my hair - chemicals of any sort are the death - hair dye, relaxers, etc - anything that chemically impacts my hair = bad/breakage.

Your hair sounds a lot like mine, re. dodging heavy cones and proteins. I like henna as well. I read your journal and saw that you use oils, even though I thought I read that you said oils just sat on your hair....

How does Humectress work for you in that what exactly does it do for your hair?

If I misquoted you, please correct! Thanks!

RelaxerRehab said:
Your hair sounds a lot like mine, re. dodging heavy cones and proteins. I like henna as well. I read your journal and saw that you use oils, even though I thought I read that you said oils just sat on your hair....

How does Humectress work for you in that what exactly does it do for your hair?

If I misquoted you, please correct! Thanks!

*grins* It depends on where you were reading at in my journal - I've gone through all KINDS of stuff, trying to figure out jsut what my hair loves/hates.

Oils are iffy on my hair - It really PREFER butters - but I'll mix oils into my deep treatments or the henna - but I'm seriously considering laying off the oils and sticking to butters - they seem to 'melt' better into my hair - or at the very least, mixing my oils WITH the butters (yeah, I'm a kitchen witch when it comes to stirring up stuff for my hair!) I LOVE oils for scalp treatments though - funnily enough. But I have to be really careful that they don't get too much on my hair...

Humectress, for me, makes my hair VERY soft, and it gives me just LOADS of slip so that I can comb through it with a bit more ease. I RARELY (read never) wear my hair out as that's going to be a PITA to comb through and keep conditioned (esp considering I'm steady cutting hair off), so my main focus is keeping the hair soft and moisturized so that I retain as much as possible. I some times use the Humectress as a leave-in when I want to mix it up from the Oyin stuff (or if I just want something creamy to help comb out my dry hair), and I ALWAYS use Humectress for my baking soda clarification process, because the conditioning and moisture in the humectress insures that I don't dry out my hair with the baking soda... I hope that helps some..... :)

Super-fine hair checking in:

Relaxer: Phyto II - for some reason, the last time made me super bone straight and that has never happened before. I also only use half a jar each time. Big money-saver.

Shampoo: All Elucence (regular, clarifying, and neutralizing)

Conditioner: Elucence MB, V05 for after henna, Lustrasilk Shea Butter & Mango Cholesterol, Honey, DPR-11 (awesome), Porosity Control (must have after relaxing)

Lite Protein: AO GPB, UBH Deep conditioner

Heavy Protein: Aphogee Intensive Treatment

Oils: Coconut (can't live without it), Jojoba and Olive Oil (in mixes). Believe it or not, castor oil turns my hair into a matted mess.:confused:

I have finally learned three VERY important lessons about my super-fine hair: Must aphogee every 6-8 weeks, even with doing henna treatments. Must trim every 10-12 weeks or else may hair will be a disaster. Must not stretch my relaxers for longer than 10 weeks....my fine hair just cannot take that stress.

I love henna! Suprisingly, I have found Rajasthani much better on my hair than Jamila. Jamila still makes me somewhat dry, Rajasthani made me strong but soft and smooth.

SandySea said:
Look at the diameter of you strands to tell. I guess it's all relative. Also, you may still have thick hair even though the strands are fine. Fine hair is usually soft and the strands can be very fragile compared to coarser textures.

Thanks. I think I do have fine hair based on this description . EVERYTIME I go to a salon they tell me my hair is thick, but I now think it is fine and thick.

I mentioned this to KhandiB when she was over a few months ago. When I touched her hair it seemed strong enough to really be able to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. My hair seems almost too soft compared to hers - I hope I am explaining that right.

Also, my strands do seem very fragile. I almost doubt the elasticity most times. I know my hair is protien/moisture balanced, but they can still only stretch but so far before snapping. Makes me cringe when I think about what combing and brushing can do. :eek:

Fine-low volume hair checking in! My volume has kicked up a notch since I started using MTG in July '05. I have a little more length but not much.
I use conditioners with lots of cones because they help keep my hair on my head and not in my comb when detangling. I like L'Oreal VIVE with Advanced Nutrileum.
I MTG whenever I think about it although it makes my hair flake. I usually do it after I've rinsed my hair out with water which seems to reduce the flaking. Also MTG seems to just sit on my hair so I don't know if its really helping my hair or not .. :ohwell:
HHG!!

Lavendar said:
Super-fine hair checking in:

Relaxer: Phyto II - for some reason, the last time made me super bone straight and that has never happened before. I also only use half a jar each time. Big money-saver.

Shampoo: All Elucence (regular, clarifying, and neutralizing)

Conditioner: Elucence MB, V05 for after henna, Lustrasilk Shea Butter & Mango Cholesterol, Honey, DPR-11 (awesome), Porosity Control (must have after relaxing)

Lite Protein: AO GPB, UBH Deep conditioner

Heavy Protein: Aphogee Intensive Treatment

Oils: Coconut (can't live without it), Jojoba and Olive Oil (in mixes). Believe it or not, castor oil turns my hair into a matted mess.:confused:

I have finally learned three VERY important lessons about my super-fine hair: Must aphogee every 6-8 weeks, even with doing henna treatments. Must trim every 10-12 weeks or else may hair will be a disaster. Must not stretch my relaxers for longer than 10 weeks....my fine hair just cannot take that stress.

I love henna! Suprisingly, I have found Rajasthani much better on my hair than Jamila. Jamila still makes me somewhat dry, Rajasthani made me strong but soft and smooth.

I agree with this one. :) I think it has made my strands thicker!!!

Back