Fine-haired 4a ladies: How do you get your hair to swing and bounce?

tweezer6

My hair doesn't have that "swang" that many of you talk about. My hair is close to shoulder length in the back and just below my ears on the sides. I want my hair to move when I move (If that makes sense).

Should I avoid using leave-ins before styling? Should I blow dry, flat iron, or roller set?

Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

I would stay away from too many oils, and heavy hair dress around the time you get a wash and set. a light gloss will do... you can also try a volumizing conditioner.

I would use a little leave in...maybe dilute it a bit. Also a blunt cut helps with volume...as does nicley trimed ends.

i agree with the trimming. blunt cuts are imperative to giving the illusion of thickness. the less products the better.

i have the same type and i get the best results when i wash, deep con, add leave in like silicon mix or giovanni direct with a touch of biosilk mixed in and wet set with no setting lotion, just water with large rollers. works for me but once you put oil of some kind in it the bounce will go.

A tiny trim does help create the look of "even-ness" and health. I always have swing when I get a blowout. Now, I don't do this often due to the high heat, but when I do, it's swing city.:D

I try to go light on the products because my hair gets weighed down very easy, all I use is EVOO.

Any oils, creams, or serums have to go on my hair while wet. Once my hair is dry, everything weighs it down.

I agree with everyone else... the less I have in my hair the better. If I don't put it in when it is wet then it doesn't go in. except for some oils and I have a bottle that mists so I don't go over board on that either. :grin:

I'm 4B, but my hair is fine textured. I use Pantene Light Detangler to detangle
Then I use Salerm 21 & or Pantene Smoothing Comb In treatment. When I rollerset, hair swings and is shiny.

I say a nice wash and set really helps with bounce and swing -I get them done at the Dominican Salon. I use ISO BOUNCEY cream on my hair while wet prior to rolling. I quickly wrap my hair to loosen up the curl and then let the curls flow and bounce away! That way the hair doesnt get soooo bone straight that its flat.

I have fine type 4a hair and I've actually never had a problem really with bounce. My hair seems to always be swinging. Sometimes a little TOO much. If the wind is blowing, my hair willl sometimes get in my mouth even! LOL* I think my hair is so fine and light that it always usually moves if it is straight.

I agree though, light hair products in your hair will create that "swing". Now if only I could find a way to keep my hair from frizzing up like "Frizzy Flora" in the summertime. Humidity is my ENEMY!!

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I have fine type 4a hair and I've actually never had a problem really with bounce. My hair seems to always be swinging. Sometimes a little TOO much. If the wind is blowing, my hair willl sometimes get in my mouth even! LOL* I think my hair is so fine and light that it always usually moves if it is straight.

I agree though, light hair products in your hair will create that "swing". Now if only I could find a way to keep my hair from frizzing up like "Frizzy Flora" in the summertime. Humidity is my ENEMY!!

What products do you use? What's your regimen?

I usually use basically Nexxus products. But I use a lot of other products too. Nexxus are my staples, but I also have products like KeraCare humecto conditioner and hydrating shampoo, Lekair Cholesterol Conditioner, Cream of Nature shampoo, suave conditioner, etc.

I don't "grease" my scalp anymore. I just use olive oil, carrot oil, or shea butter oil. That helps a lot. I try to shampoo wash my hair once a week, and CO once a week also.
But honestly, I dont' think it's so much the type of products as it is the AMOUNT of products used in the hair. Too much buildup of products can weigh hair down and that can make it less "bouncy".

But honestly, I think the main reason my hair is so "bouncy" is because it's so FINE! Fine hair runs in my family (unfortunately) and everyone who does my hair is so amazed by how "soft" my hair is. :rolleyes: But honestly, I'd LOVE thicker, FULLER hair. Or, if my hair is going to be this thin and fine, at least let me have LOTS of it!! Sheesh! I can't win. Oh, and humidity is a trip! Just one ounce of humidity outside, and my hair looks like I never got it done. Sometimes I even wonder what's the point of even going to the hair salon. :(

ONEBLESSEDRN said:
I say a nice wash and set really helps with bounce and swing -I get them done at the Dominican Salon. I use ISO BOUNCEY cream on my hair while wet prior to rolling. I quickly wrap my hair to loosen up the curl and then let the curls flow and bounce away! That way the hair doesnt get soooo bone straight that its flat.

Hmmm ... I'll have to try this on my hair. I buy about 5 bottles of it everytime I go to the distributor but I always got it for my son who is natural. I thought it was only beneficial for naturals that wash and go. Thank you for mentioning that you use it for rollersets.

divinefavor said:
I've never heard of ISO Bouncey, can you get it at any BSS?

Hi Divine,
I got put on to it by this Puerto Rican girl who used to do my hair back in the day (my hair was lovely-fine but long and full of body).
I buy my from www.abeautyofasite.com.
I've never had any problems when I've ordered from there. I remember passing over a thread one time that said don't order from them. They've never done me wrong so I continue to order from them.

tweezer6 said:
My hair doesn't have that "swang" that many of you talk about. My hair is close to shoulder length in the back and just below my ears on the sides. I want my hair to move when I move (If that makes sense).

Should I avoid using leave-ins before styling? Should I blow dry, flat iron, or roller set?

Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

My hair swings and bounces when it's freshly washed and rollerset. When I want bounce I throw my hair in about 7 pillow rollers and wrap it while I get dressed in the am. I usually get plenty of bounce and body. I also go light on the oils and finish the style with Isoplus oil sheen (been using this since I was a pre-teen).

Condition-Condition with protein and moisture conditioners use Biosilk therapy with
the Chi flat iron to bump the hair away from the scalp. But the real truth is in the cut.

Thank you ladies for the replies.

Sounds like I might be using too much product on my hair. I usually put a palm full of leave in conditioner like Mane N Tale or NTM and then let it air dry. I'm afraid to use no product at all, but from what you've all shared, I need to lighten up and maybe use just a touch of oil.

I'm also going to trim a bit too.

Thanks again!

SandySea said:
My hair swings and bounces when it's freshly washed and rollerset. When I want bounce I throw my hair in about 7 pillow rollers and wrap it while I get dressed in the am. I usually get plenty of bounce and body. I also go light on the oils and finish the style with Isoplus oil sheen (been using this since I was a pre-teen).

What's pillow rollers?

Back