Finding small pieces of hair......

Jazzy413

I just relaxed about 2 weeks ago and flat ironed once in that time. I have kept moisture up and sealed every night. I rarely comb -- maybe once a week -- but I finger comb and have been noticing a lot of little hairs lately. Is my hair breaking or shedding?? I am still trying to figure out my moisture/protein needs so could it be that I need more protein??? I am probably about 3c fine hair. HELP!!! My goal is to get to BSL by the end of the year but I feel like this may set me back!:nono:

What you are using sounds good. Not sure why your getting breakage unless you have some split ends that are breaking off. I use coconut oil as well along with bhringraj oil on my hair to seal and moisturize.

In addition, it could be a vitamin deficiency causing the breakage. We are what we eat and I am one that just don't eat right all the time so I take a multivitamin to counteract my naughtiness.

im having the same problem. i was told to chelate to remove the calcium and mineral deposits in my hair, as i have hard water and use a no lye relaxer. then use a good deep conditioner and leave in to stop the breakage. i havent been combing at all since i noticed the breakage. and will be doing all those things tonight in hopes of success. ill let you know if i succeed or not.

I know this is taboo to say but I think a little breakage comes with the relaxed hair territory. I agree with the previous poster who said little hairs = breakage. Maybe what you are using for moisture is not enough.

I am a firm believer that your hair will get most of its moisture from the deep conditioner you choose and the amount of water you put in your body. With that in mind, how often to you poo and do you deep condition frequently? Do you use heat with your deep cons? Heat from steaming or a hood dyrer helps deep conditioners penetrate your hair.

Finding the right balance of moisture and protein is also important. What I do is rotate protein and moisture by using a moisturizing deep con followed by a leave in with protein and doing the reverse the following week (protein deep con followed bu moisturizing leave in the next week.) When I am pressed for time I use ORS Mayo as a pre poo (its a protein) and once I wash I follow with a quick con like Kenra MC in the shower.

I do moisturize my ends daily but I find deep conditioning, with heat, once a week a better way to keep my hair moisturized.

HTH

I know this is taboo to say but I think a little breakage comes with the relaxed hair territory. I agree with the previous poster who said little hairs = breakage. Maybe what you are using for moisture is not enough.

I am a firm believer that your hair will get most of its moisture from the deep conditioner you choose and the amount of water you put in your body. With that in mind, how often to you poo and do you deep condition frequently? Do you use heat with your deep cons? Heat from steaming or a hood dyrer helps deep conditioners penetrate your hair.

Finding the right balance of moisture and protein is also important. What I do is rotate protein and moisture by using a moisturizing deep con followed by a leave in with protein and doing the reverse the following week (protein deep con followed bu moisturizing leave in the next week.) When I am pressed for time I use ORS Mayo as a pre poo (its a protein) and once I wash I follow with a quick con like Kenra MC in the shower.

I do moisturize my ends daily but I find deep conditioning, with heat, once a week a better way to keep my hair moisturized.

HTH

great info cuz im having trouble with my protein/moisture balance. thanx:yep:

Also, did you use a heat protectant when you flat ironed your hair? I get breakage when I flat iron my hair. I think what I was using before isn't as good as it claims. So, now I use Fantasia IC Heat Protector Serum.

ITA that some breakage comes from being a relaxed head, but I think since I had not seen it in so long that I am concerned about it now. I always use a heat protectant (Silk Elements -- but maybe its not as good as I think:ohwell:), I DON'T take vitamins regularly, but DO drink lots of water on a daily basis. I think I need to figure out my moisture/protein balance and determine what's best for me there. I co-wash 2x a week, deep condition once a week - but lately w/o heat b/c my dryer went out on me - and only finger comb. You guys gave me some good advice to look at though so I will be taking this all into consideration tonight when I wash:yep:

Im still trying to figure out some of my staples too, though I try not to switch up on things too often. Maybe I need to adjust some things in my regi.....

OP I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you cuz I'm going thru the exact same thing right now and have yet to figure out what is causing it...

That was a great suggestion by simplycee about rotating the deep conditioners; I'm going to try this :yep: I'm also going to buy some more ORS, as I used to use this as my deep conditioner and never had any breakage back then.

I drink half my weight in ounces in water daily and have been eating well (no candy or chocolate or sugary fruit juices in over a month!). I deep condition once a week, exercise 3-5 times a week, wear my hair up in a bun DAILY, PLUS on top of all of that I'm natural and have not put any type of heat in my hair in 4 MONTHS so girl TRUST when I say that I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I really hope you find out what's causing your breakage, and if you do make sure to let us know what you find :yep: Best of luck to ya...

OP I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you cuz I'm going thru the exact same thing right now and have yet to figure out what is causing it...

That was a great suggestion by simplycee about rotating the deep conditioners; I'm going to try this :yep: I'm also going to buy some more ORS, as I used to use this as my deep conditioner and never had any breakage back then.

I drink half my weight in ounces in water daily and have been eating well (no candy or chocolate or sugary fruit juices in over a month!). I deep condition once a week, exercise 3-5 times a week, wear my hair up in a bun DAILY, PLUS on top of all of that I'm natural and have not put any type of heat in my hair in 4 MONTHS so girl TRUST when I say that I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I really hope you find out what's causing your breakage, and if you do make sure to let us know what you find :yep: Best of luck to ya...

Thanks...you do the same if you find out what's caused your breakage. It seems like it just appeared suddenly.:nono:

little broken hairs definitely mean breakage.

i had the exact same problem a week after relaxing. i fixed it by doing a hard protein treatment, but learned the hard way that doing a hard protein treatment within a month of relaxing = extreme hair reversion. it fixed the breakage, though!

it does sound like you're in need of protein. i'd suggest a protein reconstructor, like nexxus keraphix, or joico k-pak (sally's beauty supply has a wonderful knockoff of k-pak for only 6 bucks, and it smells heavenly). nothing TOO heavy, though, because you don't want your relaxed hair to revert.

I just relaxed about 2 weeks ago and flat ironed once in that time. I have kept moisture up and sealed every night. I rarely comb -- maybe once a week -- but I finger comb and have been noticing a lot of little hairs lately. Is my hair breaking or shedding?? I am still trying to figure out my moisture/protein needs so could it be that I need more protein??? I am probably about 3c fine hair. HELP!!! My goal is to get to BSL by the end of the year but I feel like this may set me back!:nono:
The only times I have had this kind of breaking was when I used to use heat on my relaxed hair. Lots of little broken hairs. I didn't have a flat iron but I also didn't protect my hair before using my curling irons and hot combs. For me, heat and relaxing do not go together and I haven't seen breakage like that since I stopped using heat.

Did you use a heat protectant? If so, was your flat iron too hot? Did you use a neutralizer after relaxing?

little broken hairs definitely mean breakage.

i had the exact same problem a week after relaxing. i fixed it by doing a hard protein treatment, but learned the hard way that doing a hard protein treatment within a month of relaxing = extreme hair reversion. it fixed the breakage, though!

it does sound like you're in need of protein. i'd suggest a protein reconstructor, like nexxus keraphix, or joico k-pak (sally's beauty supply has a wonderful knockoff of k-pak for only 6 bucks, and it smells heavenly). nothing TOO heavy, though, because you don't want your relaxed hair to revert.

I wonder if this is the case...I will be washing tomorrow so will see if I can find the knock-off of the k-pak to try. Im not too worried about reversion too much at this point as long as it stops! I rarely use heat and bun or wear my hair up quite often. When I do flat iron I use a heat protectant and I honestly typically only flat iron once every two weeks maybe longer especially now that I bun a lot.

I rarely use heat as well. The only time I find I get little pieces is when it's time for me to trim/dust. I can't go more than 3 months without trimming because my hair is just too fine. I have much more knotting and tangling if my ends aren't kept in line. Even though baggying has allowed me to extend my time between trimming, I still can't go for years like others do.:nono:

What temp do you flat iron on?
I did not think this made that much of a difference,but when i stopped flat ironing my hair to death on the third to highest temp,to the third to lowest,can you say HA-YOOGE difference??I didn't get it,because i only flat ironed once every other month(to length check in btwn. relaxers).So i was baffled by constant breakage,and why my hair (ends esp.) were so dry and hard,despite using a heat protectant and dc'ing regularly.

Way lower temp? Bouncy,healthy free hair!!

Being relaxed, I have the same concerns. I too think that it comes with the territory and minimization is key. IMO SIlk elements HP is crap. It is the only HP I have tried that I heard sizzle with and left my hair dry (But then again my hair might hate the line becuz it laughed at the poo and con):nono:. Fantasia is great though. Also, you may need to chelate more often. The moisturizer you are using is good but because of all the cones, you will experience product build up at an even faster rate. Because I dont like having to chelate too often (drying) I stopped using Hydra TLC twice a day (I have a bottle in my stash). My hair loved it, but after a while it was rebelling from all the cones. HTH hun!

When I find more than a few small pieces I baggie the ends with a moisturizing conditioner for a few nights in a row. That usually takes care of it. :yep:

It's happening to me now. Turns out I'm a little deficient in iron. It was a little low. It's growing but sooo slow.

Last edited:
Pick up the piece of hair and look at the ends, if there is no white bulb on the end then it's a break not a shed. I'm a 4a4b and I can't take heat. If I flat iron the WILL be some breakage. What temperature did you use when you applied heat?

Back