Finally found out what's causing my hair to fall out

zzirvingj

I posted a thread a few months ago about my hair coming out/thinning. I hadn't been treating it all that well, so I was trying to figure out what to attribute it to...not sleeping with a scarf on? Using the Denman brush too much? Not DC'ing as often?

Well I got back on top of doing those things, and in the meanwhile haven't noticed all that much of a difference.

I even checked my labs from my last doctor's visits and they were all normal.

Then, I was thinking about it really hard the other day and trying to figure out if there's anything else that I've changed this year that could cause my hair to thin. And lo and behold it dawned on me:

About 5 months ago I started taking Norvasc - a blood pressure medication.

I'm convinced that's what's causing it. Any advice on how to counteract it's effects?? HELP! :ohwell:

Yes you are right. Hair thinning / loss is one of the possible side effects of the drug Norvasc. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure too and was put on Norvasc; that's when I noticed that my hair started thinning drastically (I used to have a lot of hair). The problem is: I can't stop taking the drug because I haven't been able to control my blood pressure through natural means yet. However, I'm currently losing weight and I'm hoping that my weight loss will naturally help me manage my blood pressure (among other things) so I can get off these drugs.

Hi zzirvingj, I'm sorry to here of your situation! I don't know much of this medication, but it sounds as though it is fairly new! don't quote me on that! But I did a little research for you, and came across some interesting information for you that may be a little more important then the Hair Loss part of it! altho, when I typed in the med's name, it automatically came up with hair loss, that may mean that theres several other sites that refer to just "hair loss" pertaining to this medication, so it sounds like your right. But, heres a site, that states some side effects of the medication!

Common and Rare Side Effects for Norvasc Oral

As Well as a Forum of patients comparing and reviewing different medications, Its sounds a little scarey, but at least you will be aware of what others have encountered:

NORVASC: Side effects, ratings, and patient comments

HTH! I wish you the best with your situation!

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the drug, but I'm sure that there is some comfort in finally figuring out what was causing the shedding!

Back