Finally a tutorial on YT!!

i know, this tutorial made my day!! I save it on my laptop, my work laptop and my USB! I have a wedding to attend this spring!

That style is perfect for my hair and length. I wonder if we can pull from this hairstyle to make more styles. I would love to make it transition into something business-work ready. Did you get the bun tutorial I tagged you on?

That style is perfect for my hair and length. I wonder if we can pull from this hairstyle to make more styles. I would love to make it transition into something business-work ready. Did you get the bun tutorial I tagged you on?

:perplexed, no I didn't! will check the braids and twist thread! thank you in advance!

OMG, she did a great job, that's going into my file. I need a little more length in my crown and in the front to make it look as full. But I'll be there soon enough.

Thanks so much for posting. g.lo

She did a fabulous job. I think her tut was badder than the original.
I lovve her styling videos.

OMG i love this look! I dont know if i would be able to get my hair so sleek looking though....

Im definetley saving it to my list of must trys

Ever since I asked her a question about how she does a product review- time of trial etc- and she gave me the " I made review for grown people who know what to do and judge" I unsubscribed and don't watch her video anymore. Talking about an attitude. That question was simple smh

Ever since I asked her a question about how she does a product review- time of trial etc- and she gave me the " I made review for grown people who know what to do and judge" I unsubscribed and don't watch her video anymore. Talking about an attitude. That question was simple smh

she does great work (makeup clothes hair) but you can not disagree with her or ask her too many questions. all of that bubbly personality is for endorsements and products.

Teyonnah's stylist explains how she achieved the style:

I was sitting at home viewing my Instagram feed on Sunday night when, all of a sudden, my feed was flooded with images of Teyonah Parris at the SAG Awards. The natural hair community was having a fit over the glorious natural hair updo she sported on the red carpet!

To get the inside scoop on Parris's hairstyle, I reached out to natural hair guru Felicia Leatherwood, the mane mastermind behind this look. Leatherwood shares her step-by-step tips below so you can re-create this sizzling style at home.

I washed the hair with Dr. Miracles Conditioning Shampoo ($6, Dr. Miracles)

Before blow drying the hair, I used Lawrence-Ray Concepts Leave-In Conditioner ($18.90) & Hair Polish Serum ($22.80, Lawrence-Ray Concepts) as my heat protectant.

After blowing the hair out, the next step was to section the hair to start the fold and tuck. I separated the hair into four sections.

For the first section at the nape of the neck, I ponytailed and folded under and tucked it with a closed hair pin, then I proceeded to the next section, moving up the back of the head and repeated the same.

When we got closer to the sides, I used Hick's Total Transformation Edges ($15, Amazon) to smooth down edges and continued folding and tucking each section.

The front/top of the hair was divided into three parts and folded with Entwine Exotique Butter Creme Hydrator ($29, Ave You).

I used my figures to roll the hair and get it smooth.

Lastly, I finished the look with Lawrence-Ray Concepts Seal-It Firm Holding Spray ($15.60, Lawrence-Ray Concepts) & Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Mist ($7.50, drugstore.com) for shine.

There you have it, ladies! Are you going to try a fab natural hair updo of your own? Tell us about it in the comments section!

Felicia Leatherwood is a natural hair stylist-to-the-stars and founder of the Loving Your Hair with Natural Care movement and workshop series. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
http://www.essence.com/2013/01/31/get-look-teyonah-parriss-natural-hair-updo/

I met her when she was in my city. She and her sister were very professional but I wouldn't wanna have a drink with them.

They give a really good presentation though. They did a great job. Just very serious girls.

I met her when she was in my city. She and her sister were very professional but I wouldn't wanna have a drink with them.

They give a really good presentation though. They did a great job. Just very serious girls.

SelahOco you met who? Teyonah, the youtuber, or the stylist?

she does great work (makeup clothes hair) but you can not disagree with her or ask her too many questions. all of that bubbly personality is for endorsements and products.

Yeah, I kinda noticed that. :look:

I don't get why she responded to you like that Tonto... This is why I don't really comment on vids. I'd just rather not.

virtuenow it must be the person that did the video because all Felicia Leatherwood does in Los Angeles is crack jokes. Her studio is here, and she like to get her points across by being witty. I think that is why the stars love her so much; she is fun

Boy if I had the cash (to spare) I would get me a Felicia do. Every star she styles :love: One day Zanzabar will have her swoon moment. Kim Coles has a natural weave she did, and I swear I wanted it so bad, if it had been a wig, I would have snatched it off her head, and made off the crazy lady I am :look:

virtuenow I would love to have this style as business-work ready as well.

I think I'll could wear it to work. But I would need to "flattening" it some, so it wouldn't look like a fro-hawk. I'm thinking maybe just twist it tighter at the root.

I need to play with the front. I have a strong square forehead and I would need to soften the look around my face.

What do you think?

I will admit. I like alot of her hair tutorials; I can actually wear them to work and the styles work with my conservative lifestyle.

Okay, I did it just now on my braid out. I can't get good pics but I tried. I went outside in the cold for y'all. Dedication...love....obsession. But you're worth it dammit!!!

I only did two ponytails and the front part. I like the back, but I can't get the front to lay right...but I only have bobby pins in it.

Doing it in braid out was cool though, cause my hair was already parted in the right places and I didn't have to manipulate it dry.

I wanna see BlackMasterPiece do hers. I bet her technique will be different and we can combine the best of both :)

Eta: sun was glaring in my eyes. Someone on fb asked me why I was frowning...lol

Last edited:
Sorry those pics are sideways. I'm on my phone

Eta: messing with the bang. That's the hard part for me.

Attachments

• image-3588141288.jpg
    image-3588141288.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
[USER=6135]SexySin985[/USER] said:
Did BlackMasterPiece ever do her tutorial?

[USER=29779]SelahOco[/USER] said:
Okay, I did it just now on my braid out. I can't get good pics but I tried. I went outside in the cold for y'all. Dedication...love....obsession. But you're worth it dammit!!!

I only did two ponytails and the front part. I like the back, but I can't get the front to lay right...but I only have bobby pins in it.

Doing it in braid out was cool though, cause my hair was already parted in the right places and I didn't have to manipulate it dry.

I wanna see BlackMasterPiece do hers. I bet her technique will be different and we can combine the best of both :)

Eta: sun was glaring in my eyes. Someone on fb asked me why I was frowning...lol
I did it, everyone loved it but I wasn't satisfied with the result:sad: but I gave my word so I'll post it in here hopefully tonight tomorrow the latest :).

Back