Fed up with Beauticians!

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
:mad: :mad: OOh don't even get me started:mad: because I can tell some stories about how the beauty students would mess up the clients hair on purpose.
Oh, hell no!!!! :mad: Yet another reason why I wont set foot in a salon.

Ugh! This has happened to me too. Where I asked for "just a trim" and they keep cutting and cutting and cutting.....:ohwell: It wasn't as much as you had taken off but still more than *I* asked for as a client. They used that tired "you really need more cut off" excuse.

The last trim I had (four months ago) the woman was examining and examining my ends after trimming the little bit off. Then she actually STOPPED. I couldn't believe it. Usually they go in for round II lol.

Wishin4BSL said:
I feel for you! I never suspected that my last stylist of 6 years would be cutting my hair to keep it just at shoulder length (which, coincidentally, was just a little shorter than hers when I actually SAW her hair). I had no idea until I had an epiphany one day, looking at the ends of my hair and noticing that the highlights I had gotten 2 years ago had completely grown out in the back and most had grown out in the front. Then I started researching black hair care, found LHCF, dumped my stylist, and never looked for another again. I go to this woman who works out of her house strictly for a relaxer and roller set and tell her I'll see her in another 8-10 weeks!

This was me too, girl. I went to a stylist who was WELL-KNOWN in my city as one of the BEST. I was a LONGTIME client of hers and yet, after going to her for about 6 years, my hair NEVER grew past nape-length. NEVER. I just always thought my hair could not grow long. I had no clue. She was "shaping up" and "trimming off dead ends" on my hair at almost EVERY two week vist for that clean, bob look.

It wasn't until many years later, when I was married and didn't have time to go to a salon and was a busy new mom doing almost nothing to my hair but wearing ponytails, that my hair actually grew to almost armpit. I was completely SHOCKED....and I was 30 years old. It took that long for me to realize that my hair never grew long because of my stylist....all those years! :mad:

caribeandiva said:
another hater stylist that's all. you need to learn your lesson and stay away from her scissor happy self.

What she said. I'm so sorry that happened to you.:mad:

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
After I finished beauty school, I knew how beauticians were. They cut your hair on purpose because it looks better than theirs or they will put a product in it that they know will damamge it just because they are envious. :mad: :mad: OOh don't even get me started:mad: because I can tell some stories about how the beauty students would mess up the clients hair on purpose.

You should start a spinoff thread.....it's important for us to know what is really going on in their minds, pink_n_green! Please share some stories with us!! It's time for a black hair revolution!

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
I really hate that happened to you.

After I finished beauty school, I knew how beauticians were. They cut your hair on purpose because it looks better than theirs or they will put a product in it that they know will damamge it just because they are envious. :mad: :mad: OOh don't even get me started:mad: because I can tell some stories about how the beauty students would mess up the clients hair on purpose.
Are you serious? That is twisted and evil *hisssssss*

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
I really hate that happened to you.

That's really messed up. I don't know where you attended cosmetology school, but the students at my school did not engage in such practices. We were actually afraid to mess up anyone's hair. We wanted to do a good job for all of our clients, and for the most part we did. If we messed up (rare), it was an honest mistake.

InJesusName said:
Maybe we should start a thread to find a stylist that has long healthy hair that won't hate on us and cut ours off!!!

And I'm right here, no need to go looking. :) Come on Atlanta ladies, show me some love. My hair may not be waist length, but it is considered long and in great condition. And Haterade is not my drink of choice.

At my salon, we use rollabout carts to work from so that we can keep our clients facing the mirror while having our styling tools close at hand.

Whenever I trim or cut, I verify with the client the amount of hair to be removed by showing him/her the inch measurements on my styling comb. I don't cut until we are on the same page. As a result, I've never been accused of cutting too much hair.

cluelessaka said:
Cheche, I'm sorry this happened. You got me upset now...thinking about the time my hair dresser decided I'd be so cute with bangs, I still haven't fully recovered.

And for those that have little girls don't drop your children off at the salon. You better see what the hell their doing to your babies.

Please don't let people with chewed up hair do yours. If its unhealthy they WILL be jealous of you! I don't care how good they can do other people's hair. And dont believe the line that they don't have time to do their own hair.

As for me... I took my hair into my own hands and never looked back. I love my stylist as a person. But I can't appreciate how she washed my hair only twice after a relaxer, how she did not deep condition me after that relaxer, just through some leave-in conditioner in and combed it through with a rat-tail comb. I called her on it too!

I tell you one thing. I'll never have another salon horror story.

You're too right. Many salons aren't open everyday. Some are closed on Mondays or Tuesdays and open mid-week (like the place I used to go to). If you aren't open 6 days a week, you have time to do your own hair before working on somebody else's head. What the heck are stylists with jacked up hair doing on their days off?

Blackbird77 said:
You're too right. Many salons aren't open everyday. Some are closed on Mondays or Tuesdays and open mid-week (like the place I used to go to). If you aren't open 6 days a week, you have time to do your own hair before working on somebody else's head. What the heck are stylists with jacked up hair doing on their days off?
I agree 100% with this. A stylist is in the business of making others look good and it starts with them. On the days when I don't have time to really "style" my hair, at the very least it is clean, shiny and neatly pulled back.

cheche said:
I needed a hair trim and went to the beauty shop to get it done Saturday. Thought I'd pamper myself nails, hair, ya know. I told her I just needed a trim wash/set. She went on and on about my ends and that they needed to be evened out but I said "just a trim". Why is it that she took it upon herself to cut at least 3 to 4 inches of my hair. That is not a trim! My hair was bra strap length.

I was furious with her. Since joining LHCF I rarely go to her, but have been taking care of my own hair at home. she made comments on how much longer and thicker it had gotten, and wanted to know why I rarely come to her anymore. Now I question her motives, if it had gotten so much longer and thicker why would she cut my hair instead of trim it?

I shoulda known by the way her own hair looked, that I couldnt trust her with mine-thats my bad I guess. Now I have to regrow what she chopped off. Disgusted.

This is the reason I don't let any beautician anywhere near my hair with either a relaxer or scissors! My last hairdresser said she needed to "even up" my hair. I went into the salon with APL hair and left with barely shoulder length! I didn't realize it until I got home. I was on the verge of driving back there and causing a scene--I was sooo mad. :mad: But then I thought, what's the use, nothing can give me back the hair. So I just cried and got over it. But do you think that was enough to teach me a lesson? No. My stupid butt didn't learn my lesson until she left a relaxer in my hair too long and my hair started breaking off at the root. :eek: It was a mess! I've never been back to a hairdresser since.

OT: One of the reasons I wish I could go natural--I hate the fact that one bad relaxer can make you lose everything you've worked to acquire. :(

I gotta jump on the bandwagon and agree that this has happened to me too!! I was just recovering from my hair being very damaged, so I had started just texturizing and it was growing nicely (thanks to LHCF), but was uneven. My nape just started taking off, so I was little uneven and I had planned on trimming a little at the back, so the rest could catch up. My stylist hadn't seen me in months (due to travel) and she kept gushing about how healthy my hair was, how thick, blaze blah! (Very rarely did she go on and on and now I know why). So, she said, I'm just gonna trim you up because you "have a shag going on". Mind you, she had been my stylist for at least 3 years, and I never had any trouble with her trims. When she finished with me, my entire back was basically shaved. I could barely grasp it! I was too hot!! I just paid and walked out. That was about a year or so ago and I JUST got my hair relaxed 2 weeks ago at a Dominican salon. But, I DO NOT TRUST them at all!! Now, though, I will straight call out anyone becaus I know better and I will not be a victim any longer. These stories are terrible and plentiful and that's sad! Just my 2 cents!

cluelessaka said:
As for me... I took my hair into my own hands and never looked back. I love my stylist as a person. But I can't appreciate how she washed my hair only twice after a relaxer, how she did not deep condition me after that relaxer, just through some leave-in conditioner in and combed it through with a rat-tail comb. I called her on it too!

ITA!! My stylist has done my hair for over 15 yrs, and I love her like a sister, but over the past 2 yrs, she just started slacking up, not using the same quality products that she used before, not deep conditioning at all!! Just combing conditioner through my hair every time I went to her (every two weeks) even when I got my touch-up. It was time to say ADIOS!!!

balisi said:
[/B]
And I'm right here, no need to go looking. :) Come on Atlanta ladies, show me some love. My hair may not be waist length, but it is considered long and in great condition. And Haterade is not my drink of choice.

At my salon, we use rollabout carts to work from so that we can keep our clients facing the mirror while having our styling tools close at hand.

Whenever I trim or cut, I verify with the client the amount of hair to be removed by showing him/her the inch measurements on my styling comb. I don't cut until we are on the same page. As a result, I've never been accused of cutting too much hair.

Wow! This sounds GREAT! If I'm ever down that way (got a lot of family down there) I will look you up, chica!

balisi said:
[/b]

DAYUM!!! Wish I was in ATL!!! Anyone in Houston?

If you do decide to go to another stylist, always get a recommendation from someone who has long hair. Then go to the salon to watch how this potential stylist handles each customer’s hair. If most of the customers have long, healthy hair, then this is the one you want to consider. Talk to these customers and ask questions.

Watch what tools and products he or she uses . . . how they use them. Now when it comes to the ends, some ends are badly damaged that just cutting off one inch will not do. I’ve seen damaged ends and sometimes in order to eliminate the damage, the stylist has to cut off two or three inches--but the customer may not see the damage, which is normally the case if the hair is not worn in protective styles, over relaxed, pressed too hard too often, over colored, dry shampoo that strips, braids, weaves, and handled roughly, etc. Most stylist do not like to do long hair, because its more work and they aren’t suppose to charge more--but some do.

To play it safe, you should do your own hair; then you will have peace of mind. That’s what I plan on doing when my stylist retires. Anyway, for those of you in Los Angeles, here’s information on my stylist:

For those of you who are interested in finding a good hair stylist in Los Angeles, I highly recommend Rudy of MR 2 Hair and Nail Salon, located at 3852 Crenshaw Boulevard (two blocks north of King Boulevard on the east side of the street--across from Angelus Mortuary). His phone numbers are (323) 294-1712 and (323) 292-7714.

I've been going to him since 1990, and I highly recommend him for the following reasons: He is not a "scissor-happy stylist;" (you will reach your hair goals); his customers have been with him for a very long time, and their hair is healthier and longer than other stylist's customers; he won't tear your hair out while handling it; he doesn't press the hair "bone straight" to the point where there's no body; he's moderately priced; and he allows you to bring in your own hair care products. Let him know in advance if you want to continue to use your staples.

He offers tips that are beneficial for your hair. In addition, he's very mild tempered and patient. So for those of you who are fed up with your "scissor-happy stylist," try Rudy.

Wow that really sucks. This is a huge fear of mine....which is why I reiterate to them exactly how much...and make them show me where they plan to cut...then I look at what was trimmed (on the ground) to be certain.

I'm sorry that happened to you. You said she made comments on how much longer and thicker it had gotten, and wanted to know why you rarely went to her anymore.... she should have knew not to ask that. Duh the answer is obvious. If you can grow your hair longer and thicker why should you even go to her. If you would have been going to her she would have been trimming and you wouldnt have noticed any growth.

[/b]

Ooh,

I live here in Sandy Springs. Where are you located? What's the name of the salon? I kinda stopped going to DASS at Perimeter Mall; the prices are raising too high and the stylist that I always make an appointment with is alway booked. I think I may need a new change.

I just had this experience 2wks ago. I went for my touch-up and light trim and the hairdressers daughter who is also a hairdresser commented on how much my hair had grown. I had not had a trim since January b/c I was tired of being hacked. I thought if I showed her how much I wanted cut 1/4" she would listen. She took off 3" back and only 1" on side b/c I stopped her from going over this section again. She won't be seeing me again. My last hairdresser B4 this one trimmed my ends once then told me 3 wks later I needed a trim. I kept asking him you honestly think my hair needs a trim til he realized he had been caught in a lie. They don't seem to want us to grow our hair. When I lived in NY I had a section of hair that broke off b/c of my own doing and I asked my hairdresser to give me a cut. She refused and made me wait and grow that section out. It's rare you run across a hairdresser who is not scissor happy. I plan to learn to trim my own hair to avoid this problem.

Back