Favorite Hair Hacks

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Greetings!

What are your favorite hair hacks? Have you encountered a cool hair hack or two in articles, blog/forum posts, videos, or books?

Please bless your fellow LHCF sisters and brothers and spread the knowledge and love. :grouphug:

------------------------------------------------​

Edited to add:

The word "hack" has a ton of definitions! Goodness! The definition below fits this thread.

hack:
a clever solution to a tricky problem
However, I'd love the hear clever solutions to ANY hair-related problem, tricky or not! :smile:

Last edited:
Getting 0.5-2 oz samples of oils and butters to test, usually from eBay. No need to commit to larger bottles of product you may not like.

Cutting through the thickness of a heavier oil with a lighter one. I have done this when castor oil decides to be extra sticky that day.

Oil rinsing, oil rinsing, oil rinsing! The only thing that has kept me from living in TWA-land for the rest of my life.

Covering the collar of my coat with a long thin piece of cheap silk to preserve my nape.

Getting 0.5-2 oz samples of oils and butters to test, usually from eBay. No need to commit to larger bottles of product you may not like.

Cutting through the thickness of a heavier oil with a lighter one. I have done this when castor oil decides to be extra sticky that day.

Oil rinsing, oil rinsing, oil rinsing! The only thing that has kept me from living in TWA-land for the rest of my life.

Covering the collar of my coat with a long thin piece of cheap silk to preserve my nape.

What oils do you rinse with and how often do you oil rinse?

Often I use Aloe Vera Gel to moisten my hair instead of water or spritzing.

I also use plastic [food cover] bags instead of shower caps to trap moisture into my puff overnight or while hanging around the house.

Grapeseed oil imparts less of an odor than Olive Oil. Try it on Hair & Body.

OOOOoooo! OH! And adding a little bit of water to your almost emptied container of WetLine Gel will give it NEW LIFE. It will be more liquefied but works just just about as well. I'd been meaning to share this one for quite some time; depending on what look you're going for you can double/triple the life of a jar; if you think of the original consistency as a concentrate.

What oils do you rinse with and how often do you oil rinse?
Cold-pressed castor oil is my main oil of choice because it penetrates a little, leaves a "conditioning" film on my hair, finger-detangle under running water without it washing off, and allows me to dry finger-detangle, even with other oils. No expiration date.

Hempseed oil is chocked full of natural ceremides that help protect the protein of the hair shaft. I can use it straight, but that grassy smell repels family. I usually mix some with castor oil and EOs. Keeps in the fridge or freezer a very long time.

Jojoba oil also leaves a "conditioning" layer like castor oil, but way lighter. I use this to lighten castor oil's effects on my hair or when I am in a hurry.

Rice bran oil also has ceramides, but not as thick as hempseed, and a nice scent. I have not use it in a few years, too light.

I have tried others, but they tend to just be greasy on my hair (sesame, olive) or do nothing for wet hair (babassu oil). Neem oil also "conditions" but that smell.:down::down:

I rinse whenever, usually twice weekly to remove sheds and knots.

I already use a couple of those hacks in the video with a few modifications:
- Instead of barrettes, I use snap clips. For me, they serve two purposes: (1) to protect my ends; and (2) as safe, easy replacement for rollers when doing braid outs. I also use the larger ones to keep my hair sectioned while straightening, trimming and styling, and to pin it up during DCing
- I will combine conditioner with a cheap serum (like Fantasia IC) to induce slip in an emergency
- I've always carried a small cosmetics bag full of combs, brushes, pins, clips, hair product, a mirror, etc. since JHS. There's no way I'm walking out into the wild without backup:lol:

Plus:
- I combine my protein treatment, pre-poo and detangling into one step by doing it on dry hair before cleansing, which works really well for me. Sometimes, I will skip the cleanser altogether and go straight to the finishing products when using this method
- I use an applicator bottle to oil my scalp before applying my pre-poo (a conditioner of some sort). The oil gives the conditioner some oomph and aids in detangling, in addition to keeping things nice and moist no matter what cleanser is used. This works really well for those times when you've neglected your hair for a bit and it's really dry
- For a quick refresh with some oomph, I combine peppermint eo and water in a spray bottle. Not only does this help with increased scalp circulation, but it also freshens the air of any room you enter:lol:

I'm not sure if any of these are hacks, but they help me best utilize the time I spend on my hair.

I put a turbie towel over my plastic baggy so that my bonnet dryer has something to hold on to (it usually slips off constantly).

I wash, dc, moisturize, seal, eat, sleep and breathe in celies. It makes detangling quick and easy.

I mix xcel21 with moisturizer for my ends. It combines the L and C from the LOC method.

I moisturize leftover oil into my hands and nails.

I invert and massage on days I oil my scalp. It ends up being about 8 days out of the month.

I sleep with a turbie towel over my slap cap when I do an overnight prepoo (keeps my pillows and face oil free).

I already use a couple of those hacks in the video with a few modifications:
- Instead of barrettes, I use snap clips. For me, they serve two purposes: (1) to protect my ends; and (2) as safe, easy replacement for rollers when doing braid outs. I also use the larger ones to keep my hair sectioned while straightening, trimming and styling, and to pin it up during DCing
- I will combine conditioner with a cheap serum (like Fantasia IC) to induce slip in an emergency
- I've always carried a small cosmetics bag full of combs, brushes, pins, clips, hair product, a mirror, etc. since JHS. There's no way I'm walking out into the wild without backup:lol:

Plus:
- I combine my protein treatment, pre-poo and detangling into one step by doing it on dry hair before cleansing, which works really well for me. Sometimes, I will skip the cleanser altogether and go straight to the finishing products when using this method
- I use an applicator bottle to oil my scalp before applying my pre-poo (a conditioner of some sort). The oil gives the conditioner some oomph and aids in detangling, in addition to keeping things nice and moist no matter what cleanser is used. This works really well for those times when you've neglected your hair for a bit and it's really dry
- For a quick refresh with some oomph, I combine peppermint eo and water in a spray bottle. Not only does this help with increased scalp circulation, but it also freshens the air of any room you enter:lol:

I'm not sure if any of these are hacks, but they help me best utilize the time I spend on my hair.
I like this method. I like to apply deep conditioner, rinse, and go straight to leave ins. My favorite deep conditioner to do this with is the Shea Moisture JBCO mask.

This one is REALLY simple/obvious/un-novel, but I keep forgetting to do it!

Especially when washing your hair in a place with minimal counter space, a great place to stash/store various hair clips as you use and remove and re-use them is clipped to a towel hanging in the bathroom or around your shoulders.

To keep your aloe Vera juice and/or aloe Vera gel from going bad, pour it into a covered ice tray and freeze it. Thaw a cube or few as needed. I saw this hack in the video below the photo.

Amazon product ASIN B00004OCLA
711gqpkpw-L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Back