Extreme breakage - should I relax?

Glitter

Whenever I get my hair relaxed, I have great success with it, until about 2-3 weeks prior to my relaxers when I start to notice extreme breakage. I usually try to go 12-16 weeks of stretching.

Right now, I am 8 weeks post. I noticed around 6 weeks that the entire right side of my hair (a patch that is 1 inch x 2 inches) is broken off - at the demarcation line. I literally have an 1/8th of inch of hair in this section. I gasped when I saw this and started crying. :cry: The rest of my hair, for the most part, is doing very well.

Since then, I've been using MN in this spot and I decided I'd try to go a whole 16 weeks so I'd have more hair to relax in this spot. I'm also taking GNC pills, upping my protein game (eggs, meat) and working out.

Ladies, what do you think? I am worried that I may be doing because I just noticed I have another small patch (the size of a dime) that is breaking off. Do you think I should just relax now and forget about anymore stretches or should I try to wait it out two more months so more hair fills in?

Whenever I get my hair relaxed, I have great success with it, until about 2-3 weeks prior to my relaxers when I start to notice extreme breakage. I usually try to go 12-16 weeks of stretching.

Right now, I am 8 weeks post. I noticed around 6 weeks that the entire right side of my hair (a patch that is 1 inch x 2 inches) is broken off - at the demarcation line. I literally have an 1/8th of inch of hair in this section. I gasped when I saw this and started crying. :cry: The rest of my hair, for the most part, is doing very well.

Since then, I've been using MN in this spot and I decided I'd try to go a whole 16 weeks so I'd have more hair to relax in this spot. I'm also taking GNC pills, upping my protein game (eggs, meat) and working out.

Ladies, what do you think? I am worried that I may be doing because I just noticed I have another small patch (the size of a dime) that is breaking off. Do you think I should just relax now and forget about anymore stretches or should I try to wait it out two more months so more hair fills in?

Hun, I am so sorry this happened to you. I wanted to cry too when I read your post b/c I can imagine it must be devastating. I am not very advanced in caring for hair, but I know other ladies will chime in with their advice, but if it were me I would not relax. Adding chemicals that strong on top of existing breakage is a recipe for MORE BREAKAGE. Trust me on this one~ been there done that:wallbash:

If it were me, I would wait another month or so to really nurse my hair back to health, or I would prayerfully and carefully consider BC'ing and going natural.

HTH and best of luck to you. :hug3:

IA with Teacherjess. You should figure out whats causing the breakage before getting your hair relaxed. Are you using any protein for your hair?

Quick question: Also, when you stretch, do you apply moisturizer and deep conditioner in sections and concentrate on the line of demarcation as well as ends?

I'm asking because I am a stretcher (about 3- 4 mos) and to stretch successfully this is a must for me to make sure I get the beneficial product/ treatment all up in and throughout the new growth and every square inch of hair. It takes a lot more time but is worth it to help avoid breakage. Stretching can be a great move but also a risky one.

From what I have learned in my time here, one should never relax when experiencing breakage. Always treat the breakage first and then relax once the breakage has stopped. Usually breakage at the demarcation line means a lack of moisture. I have experienced it myself. I recommend upping the moisture until the breakage stops and then relax. Hopefully others will chime in with their suggestions as well.

Hi Glitter,

I am so sorry about what has happened! I would avoid relaxing that entire area for a couple of months or until you are able to evaluate the cause for damage. If it is chemical damagae, you are going to need to really baby all surrounding areas that may have been exposed to overprocesing but not enough to have broken off **yet**. Dudley's DRC 28 is a really great protien treatment that can strenghtnen your hair -- then follow up with weekly moisturizing treatments.

Quick question: Also, when you stretch, do you apply moisturizer and deep conditioner in sections and concentrate on the line of demarcation as well as ends?

I'm asking because I am a stretcher (about 3- 4 mos) and to stretch successfully this is a must for me to make sure I get the beneficial product/ treatment all up in and throughout the new growth and every square inch of hair. It takes a lot more time but is worth it to help avoid breakage. Stretching can be a great move but also a risky one.

This.
Making sure that your new growth and the line of demarcation are well attended to can make a stretch so much easier. If you don't do it already, I'd definitely start applying products (moisturizers, deep conditioners) in sections and like relaxer. It takes longer and it uses more product, but the payoff is really worth it.

And besides that, how are you treating your new growth? Are you combing or brushing it every day? Overmanipulating new growth will really make a stretch hellish.

I think you should wait a few more weeks, to nurse your hair back to health and to strengthen and moisturize your new growth, because hair should be in optimal condition before relaxing.
But if the breakage doesn't improve, I'd actually tell you to forfeit the stretch and relax. But only if you are completely sure that it is demarcation breakage, and not breakage from dryness or anything like that.
IMO, demarcation breakage is the only kind that a relaxer will stop, simply because the weakness is caused by the disparate textures. Once the textures are made uniform, then the weak spot and therefore the breakage is no more. But I'm not an expert, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will join in.
Good luck with whatever you do!

I know that Im going to be in the minority with this response, however I normally relax my hair if I start to get increased shedding and or breakage. Each week I wash my hair I keep track of the hair loss, if it starts to increase I know it's time to call it quits and relax. I normally relax between 12-16 weeks depending on my hairs condition.

If I were you I would do one last protein treatment & dc and then relax 3 -5 days later.

Last edited:
Please don't relax while your experiencing breakage. Please treat the problem or you will have lots more on your hands by placing a relaxer in already severly damaged hair. :)

This.
Making sure that your new growth and the line of demarcation are well attended to can make a stretch so much easier. If you don't do it already, I'd definitely start applying products (moisturizers, deep conditioners) in sections and like relaxer. It takes longer and it uses more product, but the payoff is really worth it.

And besides that, how are you treating your new growth? Are you combing or brushing it every day? Overmanipulating new growth will really make a stretch hellish.

I think you should wait a few more weeks, to nurse your hair back to health and to strengthen and moisturize your new growth, because hair should be in optimal condition before relaxing.
But if the breakage doesn't improve, I'd actually tell you to forfeit the stretch and relax. But only if you are completely sure that it is demarcation breakage, and not breakage from dryness or anything like that.
IMO, demarcation breakage is the only kind that a relaxer will stop, simply because the weakness is caused by the disparate textures. Once the textures are made uniform, then the weak spot and therefore the breakage is no more. But I'm not an expert, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will join in.
Good luck with whatever you do!

Absolutely~ I second that, Chaosbutterfly. I use an applicator brush and sit with a bowl of deep conditioner and go to work just like my beautician goes to work w/ a relaxer. I even go over every section and smooth it in for a few minutes just like a relaxer before sitting under the dryer for the heat. For real, this has taken me about 15 mins just to apply and an additional 25 mins under the dryer, and a lot of product when I'm between 9 and 15 weeks post but when I emerge from the dryer...Good Lawd my NG is softer than a baby's bumbum:lick:
Works like a charm every time!

I would try the Aphogee 2 Step to stop the breakage, then a very intense moisturizing conditioner like SilkElements Megasilk Moisture Treatment. Then I would focus on the have a good moisturizer possibly one with a light protein to strengthen and moisturize the hair

I really can't answer whether or not you should relax at the moment. I dunno.

But I just wanted to say that I've read about stretchers using ayurvedic oils to soften NG, and how they've successfully avoided breakage by doing so.

we all know the importance of moisture, but regular protein is also vital in order to keep the line of demarcation strong during long stretches.

however... some people just can't do long stretches. i would relax if i were in your situation.

I have tried to stretch for years and whenever I do my hair starts to shed and break tremendously. I would do the protein treatment as the ladies have already suggested and then relax next week.

I would relax the area that is breaking last.

Last edited:
I would try the Aphogee 2 Step to stop the breakage, then a very intense moisturizing conditioner like SilkElements Megasilk Moisture Treatment. Then I would focus on the have a good moisturizer possibly one with a light protein to strengthen and moisturize the hair

I agree, If youre having extreme breakage, do not relax, I also suggest the Aphogee protein treatment to immediately halt the breakage, then use a moisturizing deep conditioner, preferably mixed with oil to boost the moisture.

A relaxer doesn't repair damage-it may make it worse. There's a root cause to what you are currently experiencing. You should really dissect your current routine to scope out what leads to the breakage and then deal with that. What are your protein and moisture levels like right now? Do you treat your hair with the same love and attention late in your stretch as you do after you first relax?

I don't think that you should relax. Your hair needs to be in a healthy state when doing a chemical process. It's in the relaxers nature to make your hair weaker... so putting it on hair that is already weak is just going to make the situation worse and possibly cause you a setback...

I say to try DCing the way other ladies have suggested.... applying the DC as you would a relaxer. I am currently about 25 weeks post on my very first stretch and I'm telling you, DCing that way is the ONLY thing that has gotten me this far. I have very little breakage (if any at all).... 9 out of 10 hairs that come out of my head are shed.

As soon as your hair is looking and behaving better, THEN I'd say it's safe to go ahead and relax, and maybe in the future, ease yourself into longer stretches if you choose to do it at all.

HTH, and stay positive!

Deep Condition, wait a few days then relax.

Some people cannot handle long stretches. Your hair sounds like it's breaking from stretching too long.

There's a lot of people talking about don't relax, treat the problem first. The problem is that you need to relax your hair.

Ladies, I want to thank you so much for your advice. Currently, I am doing the following:

I am currently shampooing and following that with a DCing once a week with Queen Helene Cholesterol and co-wash once a week (will do it with some type of cheapie - Auusie Moist 3 minute, Tresemme).

When I started to notice all of this breakage, I decided to up my protein level. I now am doing a Nexxus Emergencee treatment every two weeks, when I shampoo and DC. I bought the CHI keratin spray and the CHI silk infusion. I will say that I've noticed a great improvement since adding protein to the rest of my hair.

I need to figure out of the damage is from lack of protein or chemical damage. I think it's protein because I think chemical damage breakage would have shown itself much earlier.

I am still trying to figure out a gameplan as to relaxing now or waiting another 4-8 weeks. Appreciate all your advice. Thank you for being so supportive.

If the breakage is from the conflicting textures then my advice is to relax. If it's because the line of demarcation/new growth is not being moisturized properly then you need to up the moisture and pay special/extra attention to those parts of your hair. Make sure your porosity is on point too, otherwise all the moisturizing in the world might not make a difference. Ask yourself questions about your hair routine and pinpoint whether or not the breakage is coming from just having gone too far into a stretch, too little moisture, over manipulation, etc. And then you'll find a solution.

You said you usually try to go 12-16 weeks, you didn't say if you make it to that time or not. But if in the past your hair has made it longer than 6 weeks without breakage successfully (provided you haven't changed your regimen from what it was during those successful stretches), then it sounds like you might need to just step your game up with the moisture.

I've tried to stretch for 3-4 months at a time & my hair ALWAYS starts breaking off. Not too bad but more than I'd like. I pre poo, deep condition, and use light to heavy protein when needed. I can only stretch that long if my hair is braided. As soon as I relax the breakage stops. The texture of your new growth is thicker than your relaxed hair so when you comb through, it just breaks (no matter how gently I comb). If you're pampering your hair & it's still breaking at the line of demarcation, time to relax. Not everybody can stretch. Do what's best for your hair.

Last edited:
I don't think that you should relax. Your hair needs to be in a healthy state when doing a chemical process. It's in the relaxers nature to make your hair weaker... so putting it on hair that is already weak is just going to make the situation worse and possibly cause you a setback...

I say to try DCing the way other ladies have suggested.... applying the DC as you would a relaxer. I am currently about 25 weeks post on my very first stretch and I'm telling you, DCing that way is the ONLY thing that has gotten me this far. I have very little breakage (if any at all).... 9 out of 10 hairs that come out of my head are shed.

As soon as your hair is looking and behaving better, THEN I'd say it's safe to go ahead and relax, and maybe in the future, ease yourself into longer stretches if you choose to do it at all.

HTH, and stay positive!

does the conditioner you use change as you get deeper into your stretches?
what dc do you use?

I just had this same issue and posted last week or so. I think it's true that everyone can't handle a long stretch. I was breaking like CRAZY at 9 weeks post so I caved in and re/texlaxed and the breakage stopped instantly. Im still learning my hair so I don't know if my hair can't take the stretch or if I wasn't properly doing something( although Im using a pretty solid regimen with quality products). Either way my hair needs to be on a state where I can care for it without losing too many stRands of my precious hair!!!! So I say all that to say I know I'm in the minority but I think u should texlax and while on ur next stretch I think you'll be be more likely to detect the problem. HTH! HHG!!!!!!

does the conditioner you use change as you get deeper into your stretches?
what dc do you use?

I'm not really loyal to any certain brand because I always end up mixing stuff into my DC... I'll use a base of Suave Humectant for a lighter DC or ORS Replenishing DC for more moisture... and add in oils, honey, etc.

If I'm doing a protein DC then I use a base of LeKair Cholesterol Plus mixed with eggs or unflavored yogurt.

I don't think it matters as much which product you use to DC... a better technique will automatically make any DC better, IMO.

Hi ladies. I just want to give you an update.

Thank you so much for all of your advice. This past weekend, I DC'ed with Queen Helene Cholesterol and used my CHI keratine mist and silk leave-in. I applied the DC conditioner like a relaxer -- going through, section by section of my hair, making sure to hit the new growth. I really liked this method and will be using it from now on. My breakage has improved from this - but there is still breakage.

I am still going to make an appt to relax soon. Why? The breakage patches are causing me so much stress that I think it's making things worse. The continued crying and stress is not worth it. I'd rather relax it and work on maining it/monitoring the issues. I also think with my new DC style and using the CHI products, I'll have better success in this next go around. I'm going to get a touch at 11 weeks post.

THank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate everyone's kind words and thoughts on this.

Last edited:
In the past when my hair became damaged and started breaking excessively, I stopped relaxing. Period. As the other ladies said you may need to put the relaxer away for a while and concentrate on repairing the damaged hair.

As the other ladies said you may need to put the relaxer away for a while and concentrate on repairing the damaged hair.

You might be on to something there DigitalRain. When I started my journey in October 2009, my hair had the same broken patch in the back. I opted to not texlax until Feb 2010 and the hair in the back has come in soft, strong, sturdy thanks to vitamins, frequent co-washing in twists, and roller setting.

I would try the deep conditioning with oil a week or 2 more and up it to 2 times a week. Be sure to include moisture cons too as needed. Sometimes it takes a week or so for your hair to respond to treatments.

Back