Extreme Breakage..heat damage?

TokyoReina

I've never seen breakage like what I have now. I'm 7 months post. Just to recap, I took my weave down week before last. My hair felt thin. So I had it blown out the next week to check the length. The stylist got scissor happy and I lost a few inches. So on top of being thin, it became short.

Now, I had some curls when I went in. Of course I came out with it blown silky straight. I was upset about the cut, so I washed it the next day so the volume would come back and I could stop seeing the blowout. Well...no curl. Maybe a wave, but no curl. :nono: 7 months and I feel like a bald-headed non-curly-curl disaster. It's breaking off all over the place. I can't finger comb it without it snapping off. Just pulling it back into an ugly bun is a task that ends up with a sink full of little hair pieces. I deep conditioned with protein. Nada. With moisture? Nada. I was contemplating going back to relaxed, but of course I can't with breakage.

It's too soon for an Aphogee 2-step...any suggestions? I'd try almost anything to save my hair. What I've got left.​

I would do a protein treatment followed by a dc! I would say do low manipulation styles. You could have breakage due to the weave and heat! I say just baby your hair and once the breakage has subsided you can decide if you want to relax or not.

How long did u have ur weave in? And did u do a deep condition right after u took out ur weave?.

Sent from my HERO200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I kept the weave in for 5 weeks. Washed, conditioned, moisturized in the mean time. I did my hard protein treatment after I took it down. In the past week i've done both a protein based dc with aphogee 2 minute and a moisture based dc. I'm afraid I may be doing too much.

How long are you planning to transition for? When I transitioned, after a while my relaxed hair got significantly thinner compared to my natural new growth. And my relaxed hair was significantly weaker than my natural new growth. Long transitions aren't for everyone *hint hint*.

After about 6 months of transitioning I called it quits and did the bc. My natural hair was stronger, healthier and thicker *hint hint*. :D

I planned on transitioning the entire time. I don't think I'd ever bc because I dislike short hair. It'd be quite a shock. I did a protein treatment last night and I the curls are still gone but there is more texture. I let it airdry overnight and I can hardly comb it or do much of anything. I plan on getting some rods done so I can leave it alone for a second.

in order to repair the damage, you need to commit to treating the hair weekly until you can repair the damage.

i would to the aphoghee 2 step, but use a deep moisturizing conditioner after. (don't use the one that come with it. that conditioner is not a good one)

then every week, use the aphoghee 2 minute, followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner UNTIL you see an improvement in your hair.

keep protective styling and realize that your hair won't be easy to style, etc. you will continue to see breakage for a little while, but it should steadily improve.

the damage won't reverse itself overnight, but with patience and tender care, your hair can thrive past this.

If you can, condition your hair daily and wear a protective style like a bun or pony. After rinsing apply more conditioner as a leave in and seal with coconut oil. Coconut oil helps prevent protein loss from the hair and it is one of 3 oils that actually penetrate the hair shaft. I'm suggesting this cause after I transitioned I worew my hair straight a lot and still wore weave and had a lot of damage to my curls. Then I started not caring and wore ponytail wit a braid everyday conditioning and leaving more conditioner in after rinsing and sealing with olive oil (cause my hair tends to get dry instead of weak being a natural) After ome months my hair is curlier than ever:)

My hair has been going through a horrid dry/break/split spell. You may have to do just what was suggested. Over moisturize. Mix in some mild protein treatments. My hair is recovering right now, I just had to start doing what I used to do, make sure that it was rinsed every day and coated with oil (after my leave ins and butters.) It's greasy and damp most days, but my hair feels and looks so much better.

I deep conditioned with protein. Nada. With moisture? Nada.​

It may need prolonged babying. So don't feel discouraged because one deep conditioning treatment didn't yield results. Just keep up the full court press in nursing your hair back to health.

It will get better :)

I've never seen breakage like what I have now. I'm 7 months post. Just to recap, I took my weave down week before last. My hair felt thin. So I had it blown out the next week to check the length. The stylist got scissor happy and I lost a few inches. So on top of being thin, it became short.​

You're 7 months post, hair tends to get very dry when you're stretching a relaxer. You need tons of moisture during this period all throughout your hair since oils and moisture can't properly moisturise or lubricate your strands since the curly texture of the hair makes it difficult for both to move evenly down the strands. Protein is still needed but not as much and not before moisture.

If you didn't take down your weave gently and properly, you can break your hair and it'll be thin as a result especially if you didn't moisturise your hair properly after having it at 7 months post and in a weave. Isn't there a way to spray a moisturising leave-in on your hair while having it in a weave if it's cornrowed around your head?

Back