EXTRACTING THE ESSENTIAL THAT WORKS FOR YOU...

Wow, I am so happy I read this thread. It was the slap in the face I needed. :grin:. I have been trying to keep the PJ under control but, its really hard when you are a newbie, especially when you are desperate coming in and dont have a clue (that would be me). I think Im going to start searching for a cousin :grin:. Thanks for the info.

I totally agree with you. In the beginning my journey, I did not have much knowledge of my hair and that is the biggest mistake anyone can make while trying to grow out their hair. I also went out and bought $100 worth of Keracare products after seeing Macherie's hair, only to realize that my Motions did me so much better.

We all need to find products that work for our hair, and your hair ONLY. But how will you know what will work for your hair, if you haven't taken note of your hair and what it needs?

There is nothing wrong with being a pj if you have a method to your madness.
Take note of products that seem to agree with your hair. I don't mean by looking at it's label. Turn that bad boy around and take note of the ingredients list. This is what I did to maximize the most out of being a pj:

First, I determine what my hair needs. Second, go on LHCF to get some product recs to get some products I can use. Third, take note of who is recommending what. The only people I listen to are the ones who have the same hair qualities as my hair. By qualities, I don't mean texture or hair type. I mean, those that love protein/henna, someone who's hair isn't effected by mineral oil or lanolin, who uses products with citric acid, and who stay away from glycerin-based products. I'm not looking for a perfect match, but if you can see a pattern in how someone cares for their hair that is similar to yours, or see that their hair agrees to similar products, then I would take those suggestions into consideration.

There are some that luck out and stumble across the perfect products the first time around...the rest of us aren't so lucky. You need to first learn your hair, and accommodate its needs with products that can offer what your hair is lacking. Once you find your staple products, dwindle your stash down to the most-needed things, and you'll be good to go.

The most important thing that everyone must realize is: YOUR HAIR SHOULD BE THE MAIN SOURCE OF INFORMATION YOU USE TO BUILD YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF HAIR CARE. SIMPLY USE THE INFORMATION ON LHCF AS A SUPPLEMENT.

LHCF offered the skeleton of what I need to care for my hair: moisture-protein, protective style, low manipulation, indirect heat, new methods, and techniques. But the meat and bulk of the info was all on my head! Your hair has allll the answers, and you need to do is learn what it likes a dislikes. Take note of what doesn't work and avoid it and remember what does work and try your best to duplicate it. This is what differentiates you from everyone else on this board, and this is why it is important to learn your hair's likes/dislikes.
Had to quote again for emphasis, especially the bolded.

Back