Extension braids

chartys08

I am transitioning longterm by wearing braids and wanted to know. For those of you who have worn braids or are still transitioning with braids, how long do you keep your braids in before re-doing?

Bump Bump...

When I had braids last year I kept them in for about 2 and a half months before I took them out, which a surprise to me because they itched like heck even after I washed them :wallbash:. I wanted to keep them in for 3 months and get my edges and back touched up after the second month but that didn't happen but I'm transitioning this year and hopefully I'll find a way to alleviate the itching so that I can keep them in longer.

I am transitioning longterm by wearing braids and wanted to know. For those of you who have worn braids or are still transitioning with braids, how long do you keep your braids in before re-doing?

I kept them in for as long as they lasted w/o getting loose. Particularly along the hairline. Because I do my own braids, I would start redoing them one at a time when they got loose, as time allowed, till I'd get through them all over several days. I did not take them out all out for a year, but just retouched them as needed. I was especially careful to redo those along the hairline because they swing painfully when loose and I am pretty sure that's about when they break off pulling your hair out as they go.

I didn't do a BC when I transitioned. Instead, I trimmed a little each time I redid a braid and in a year I was completely natural while still in braids.

I just took mine out after 4 months. I learned how to redo them from Youtube. If you put product in your hair as you were doing your braids, then I would not keep them over 2 months. During on redo, I put green tea butter on some of them and I had to fight to get the gunk out.

Like Nonie said, redo the ones around the hairline at least once every 3 weeks or you will have dreds when you take them out.

I usually keep them in for 2/3 months and, like Nonie redo those along the hairline when they start getting loose (probably every 2/3 wks for me). I braid back to back so I don't get tempted to relax.

Back