Experiencing Serious Winter Setbacks, Please Help.

bajanplums1

Despite having so much fun with my hair for the last six months, the winter is proving difficult.

Here are the problems I am experiencing
* shedding (regularly, full strands of hair just coming out)
* new growth will not hold moisture (so I want to run to get a touch up)

I want to stretch my relaxer until April. But when I get the new growth again, I can't deal with the hardness. I am thinking I might have to change my deep conditioner (Paul Mitchell Super Charged Moisturizer), or use heat with it.

Here are the steps I have employed in the last week so far to help the shedding.
* take silica, b-50, ultranourish hair, biotin, epo
* wear a lined hat so to not expose my strands
* pre-poo with aubrey's gpb or ors hair mayo

As for the new growth, I am thinking of getting Humecto, but last time I tried it--last winter, it left my hair toooo soft (if that is possible).

Ladies, I need guidance. I do not want to reverse all I've done because it is cold outside. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE PROBLEMS IN THE WINTER WITH THEIR HAIR? PLEASE HELP.

Okay well I know what you are going thru, I live in the Midwest and its Murda right now. These are a few things I do to help combat the dryness and cold.

I oil my scalp---don't know if you are a grease monkey or not but it has helped, I use amla oil. I guess I am an oil monkey. :lol:

I deep condition with every wash, which is every 3-4 days. I found out by washing frequently like this you are not allowing the hair to dry out.

I moisturze with ORS olive oil (in jar) mixed with about 2 tablespoons of alma oil. Twice a day.

I dont comb in between wash days. I just pin curl at nite then go in the morning, but I take my curls down after I get out the shower ( they need that steam to penetrate the strands).

Just somethings I do, I have no breakage, just mild shedding. I don't know if you can really stop it all together, but its not as bad as it was. I will pass soon.

try the baggie method...the length of my hair is constantly moisturised because of it. keracare products are very good for moisture. my favourite moisturising conditioners are motions silk and ORS Olive oil replenshing pak

I am loosing lots of hair right now too. I think I overdosed on protein personally. I live in the Midwest also and yes this weather indoors and out is horribly dry. I have just been moisturizing everytime I think about it and keeping my hair up when I am lounging or going outside

Yeah, I do. I am 10 weeks post relaxer. (trying to stretch for 12) and it truly is hard to tame breakage at this point.

What I do is swipe on tons of moisturizer and bun. I try my best not to comb my hair but once a day.

Try a braid out technique. That should stop some of the manipulation to your hair.

I have been stretching for 12 weeks and what keeps my new growth soft is washing/deep con. every 3-4 days. This way u r keeping a moisture balance in the strands. I also do frequent roller sets under dome dryer.. that heat dissipates all over the head and straightens the new growth better. this is what has gotten me this far !!:) ;)

loreal99 said:
Okay well I know what you are going thru, I live in the Midwest and its Murda right now. These are a few things I do to help combat the dryness and cold.

I oil my scalp---don't know if you are a grease monkey or not but it has helped, I use amla oil. I guess I am an oil monkey. :lol:

I deep condition with every wash, which is every 3-4 days. I found out by washing frequently like this you are not allowing the hair to dry out.

I moisturze with ORS olive oil (in jar) mixed with about 2 tablespoons of alma oil. Twice a day.

I dont comb in between wash days. I just pin curl at nite then go in the morning, but I take my curls down after I get out the shower ( they need that steam to penetrate the strands).

Just somethings I do, I have no breakage, just mild shedding. I don't know if you can really stop it all together, but its not as bad as it was. I will pass soon.

It seems like I may have to employ more frequent washing, my issue is making sure it dries before I have to go to work the next day! I may also get an octupus clip to protect the ends of my hair. I can't use too much oil because my hair is fine, so I will continue using almond oil. I need a tutorial on the baggie method. I guess I will deep condition more frequently (every 3 days??).

Last edited:
Have you tried S-curl on the new growth? I have fine hair too but coconut oil seems to be working well and castor oil (when I apply the castor oil at night). It doesn't weight me down to bad and it's still moisturized.

Ive had the same problem. Im from the midwest and the weather changes every few days this winter and the water here in columbus, ohio is not all that great. In fact I think it might be hard water.

I do know that deep conditioning has rly helped. also coconut oil tames my new growth. If my newgrowth is dry I use dove intense moisture. Its a mist and is in a blue bottle.

Maybe put in a leave in at night or moisturizer and put a bonnet or wrap around your hair. It might moisturise it while you are sleeping and keep the air from drying your hair out.

DEEP CONDITIONING it really helps me alot, and when i cant do that often using a water based moisturizer and seal my ends with that and oil every night, also drinking plenty of water and making sure your hair is up and being moisturized at night.

anything with mayo in it has protein which may be hardening your hair. I personally do protien treatments every 2-3 weeks (light egg and mayo) and i make sure to do a deep conditioning after, besides that i dont use any protien on my hair directly.

if you find your hair is still dry you might have to moisturize it during the day once as well.

Back