exercising and washing

gvsugirl

Hey all! I was just wondering if it was really necessary to wash/rinse after working out? When I was washing every 2-4 days, my hair was really dry. Ever since i've been washing once a week, its much softer. Am i clogging my pores? Even if I massage and comb my scalp?
Thanx!
grin.gif

it could be that your hair doesn't like so much shampoo. what you could do is just rinse or do conditioner washes with an inexpensive one like Suave. if you exercise regularly, i think it's a good idea to at least rinse the scalp every couple of days because the salt in perspiration can be drying to the hair. i don't think you're clogging the pores of the scalp though.

adrienne

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
adrienne0914 said:
it could be that your hair doesn't like so much shampoo. what you could do is just rinse or do conditioner washes with an inexpensive one like Suave. if you exercise regularly, i think it's a good idea to at least rinse the scalp every couple of days because the salt in perspiration can be drying to the hair. i don't think you're clogging the pores of the scalp though.

adrienne

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree...
smile.gif

right now i work out almost every day and i wash my hair twice a week. i guess it really depends on what your hair and scalp like. and you will just have to work with that.
smirk.gif

I agree with everyone else. At least do a light conditioner wash after a workout. I like V05 Creamy Citrus.
lick.gif
It's always under $2 at Wal-Mart. I read somewhere (Carrie?) that if the salty sweat is left on your hair all day it can cause breakage over time.

Water by itself applied to your hair can only moisturize -- water is moisture; it's a myth that hair will "dry out" hair. Sometimes your hair feels softer without washing simply because it is loaded down with sediment and product. Think about it; by the end of the day, you've passed through enough dirt outside to leave a film on your face. Your hair catches all the emissions, blowing dirt, etc. as your face, only it is washed half the time.

Worse still, it mingles with the natural oils of your scalp (and products) to create a "soft feeling". One good tip to remember: softness + dandruff and a funny smell = NOT GOOD!!

I'm a fitness instructor so I work out all the time too. I shampoo/condition my hair once a week -- probably less now -- but I wash (read: soak) my hair every day, and just before I go to bed. Your hair will get clean enough if you just rinse it with water; you don't have to use products every time.

HTH
cool.gif

Honey Vibe is exactly right. When I wasn't atleast doing a conditioner wash or just rinsing my hair, I was losing handfuls.

Honey Vibe - What do you teach?

Thanx everyone! Tho me and conditioner washes dont get along... But i'll try the plain water rinse at least twice a week. My hair is in a curly ponytail so I just smooth the sides with some ice pomade and tie it up so you cant even tell i worked out cause it's so much easier...I'm just being lazy
tongue.gif

When I exercise I found that when I didn't wash my hair, it shed alot for whenever I did wash it (usually the day after). I now do conditioner washes after each workout (I sweat buckets) and my shedding has stopped and the hair doesn't dry out at all. Once every few washes I'll use a shampoo but mostly, its just conditioner washes then air dry. I think the sweat was breaking my hair before.

Mine HAS to get either rinsed, conditioner washed or shampooed after each workout. I am like brownrelaxedhair, it just starts shedding so badly. Before I knew about how the salt reacted with the relaxer, I was losing my mind. Sweetcocoa darn near had to talk me down of a ledge! She was the one who suggested more frequent washing and the Fantasia Deep Penetrating conditioner that saved my hair.

I do ACV and condition rinses every night. It's a pain, but my hair likes the water, and my scalp feels really good and clean every night.

Nessa said:
Must be really good for your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few months ago, I used to do roller sets a lot with small rollers, but then I only washed my hair 1 or 2 times a week. I think the water's good for your hair, and this is a lot easier than roller setting--plus you're not using heat. I mean, I roller set sometimes, and if I want my hair straight or really curly, that's the way to go, but braid outs are really easy. A lot of women around here are doing them. Anyway, for me it works.

I know that's what I meant, lexi. Just wash your entire head -- face, ears, scalp/hair -- when you go to wash your face.
smile.gif

I work at Curves for Women.
drunk.gif

Hi gvsugirl,

I agree with what has already been said. You have to at least rinse your hair after working out if it is sweaty. The sweat will dry and cause breakage. You could put a light conditioner on prior to working out to: 1) prevent as much salt from being absorbed into the hair strand; and 2) take advantage of the heat generated through exercise to help the conditioner do it's job better. After working out just rinse the hair.

Leigh

Leigh

I do not wash after every workout. I only wash twice/ week (one regular, one conditioner wash)

Anyway, all the other days, if I worked out--I spray Pantene Light Spray Detangler Conditioner into my hair to "refresh" it. It's very light. I'm sure most any spray leave-in would work.

Supergirl said:
I do not wash after every workout. Anyway, all the other days, if I worked out--I spray Pantene Light Spray Detangler Conditioner into my hair to "refresh" it. It's very light. I'm sure most any spray leave-in would work.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I do, too SuperGirl. I spray in my UBH Dew or John Frieda Leave In conditioning spray, and I'm good to go.

I suppose it could be considered "nasty" to just leave the sweat in your hair, but I haven't suffered any breakage from it that I can see... I just don't have the time to wash my hair 3 times a week and I don't always want to wear my hair air-dried...
ohwell.gif

Lindy, that''s cool. Great minds think alike (re: leave-ins after working out)

I haven't suffered any damage either
cool.gif

Lindy, that''s cool. Great minds think alike (re: leave-ins after working out)

I haven't suffered any damage either
cool.gif

Hola! Do u still only wash hair once a week and just spray with leave in after working out? Any breakage or excess shedding?

Hola! Do u still only wash hair once a week and just spray with leave in after working out? Any breakage or excess shedding?

Oh no, not at all. This was 12 years ago--I've had two children since then and am lucky if I wash my hair every 2 weeks even! Most of my workouts right now are pilates type workouts, so I'm not getting super sweaty or anything.

Back