Ever wonder why your hair grows in a "W" "V" or "U" shape?

Does your hair grow in the shape of your hair line at the nape?

• Yes

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Can't tell

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters

naturalmanenyc

I ended up going to Supercuts for a trim after getting $75 - $100 pricing from local salons. I blew out my hair first since I figured I needed it straight to get a trim. I filmed it: http://youtu.be/amyPYi3nAOg

One thing that came up, since I mentioned my hair growing in a V shape, was that our hair grows in based on the shape of our hair line at the nape.

I personally think my hair line is more of a W shape but I can see why she would think it was a V shape.

This was by no means scientific but I guess just based on what the stylist has seen over the years.

Take a look at your nape and reply to the poll.
Of course it's still not scientific but it's probably a much larger sample than customers of this one Supercuts in NYC.:grin:

goody-spin-pin-bun-back-300x294.jpg

This is interesting...

My hair doesn't grow in any distinguishable shape, I checked the nape and it's just straight. This makes sense though!

Humm my nape I think grows in a W really high in the center and long points down my neck. My hair on the sides of my head grows really long and my back hair struggles along shorter. When I put my sides in the back I guess it does seem to take on a W effect!

i think it more has to do with how your hair at the midline - down grows (ear to ear and down) Like when i was relaxed, my hair at the middle was longer so it fell lower, the hair on my sides grow slower so it fell closer, making my hair a "V" shape.

Funny, I never considered this before. My nape is "u" shaped and that's how my hair grows.

OT, naturalmanenyc, which oils are you using in your AVG bottle? (I saw on your video that you use AVG (or J) and oil. TIA! :)

Am I the only person who's hair grows lopsided? Its not drastic or anything, but it does :perplexed. My right is always slightly longer the the left, however I always trim to a U shape because its purdy' :grin:.

Am I the only person who's hair grows lopsided? Its not drastic or anything, but it does :perplexed. My right is always slightly longer the the left, however I always trim to a U shape because its purdy' :grin:.

Another lopsided grower here! My left is always longer but my right is thicker. Hair grows in ^, longer on sides, shorter straight down the back. Is that considered a W?

My hair line in a weird U but it goes in a V. My middle and a little to out from the middle grows the fastest. My sides do not grow as fast but still grow ok. Without constant trimming, it will grow in a sharp V without even noticing.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

I've always thought about this and hoped it was true because I need a reason that my hair is thinner in the center besides it being something I'm doing. My napeline is a W and my hair grows in a W.

My hair is lopsided too. It's longer and thicker on the left and curls better on the right. I'm not sure it grows that way or if it breaks off because I wear my purse on my right shoulder.

Last edited:
My nape is like a wide upside down u. I don't know how my hair grows as I can't get it straight enough to tell. My nape though is the shortest part of my hair so I'm not sure how that would dictate how my hair would grow for me. Interesting concept though

Since reading this, I noticed that my nape is a W and sure enough, it seems like that the way my hair grows out, as well. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the hair from my crown and mid back of head cover over that,though.

Back