Ever think about being a stylist......

HotCoCoGurl130

I know that many of us bash stylists for ruining our hair but now that you have learned so much from this board do you ever think about becoming a stylist. Now that I have a healthy obsession with hair I am beginning to think about it. I look at it this way, I think about all those horrible stylists that the same loyal clients for years and they make a good living. I also think that having the right knowledge about hair can lead to an even better business. The business of black hair care. What do you gals think?
drunk.gif

It is funny that you wrote this thread. I have put my dreams on hold to go to cosmetology school to raise my kids. I think about it all the time. I don't mention it though. Ya know some times when you talk about something so much and years later you still haven't done it, people stop believing you. I want to specialize in healthy hair care. I always have. If I can just get over that roller set thing, in will be really good to go!

I have mentioned it recently to my hubby that once my son starts school I am gonna go to school and get my liscence. By that time though the tuition my be up to $12,000. Right now at some schools it is about $8,000.

I used to wanna do it, but I can't possibly deal with other people's nasty attitudes. There's only so much laughing that I can do before I
swearing.gif

wasntme.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I used to wanna do it, but I can't possibly deal with other people's nasty attitudes. There's only so much laughing that I can do before I
swearing.gif

wasntme.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Also, I'll add that for me, I changed my mind about becoming a stylist is because my hands would be in water constantly and I'd hate to have my nails and skin dry out. Standing on my feet for so long, and again what Karonica said about dealing with different personalities.

I think about it all the time but I think I rather be a hair consultant because I can't deal with the drama of being a stylist. I wouldn't mind being a consultant w/ my own business and have stylist who are on the same page when it comes to hair or else it would never work.

When I was younger I wanted to be a hairstylist, but my parents steered me away from it to go to college. I think had I joined the program when I was younger (there was this highschool that had a cosmetology program in it, so you'd have regular classes and cosmetology classes) I would have my own spa and salon by now. That's why when I have children unless they want to do something utterly ridiculous or illegal I'll help them follow their dreams instead of mine.

I've thought about it, and I would love to. However, I know I wouldn't make the same kind of money that I do now. I wouldn't mind doing it as a side thing, but school would take up a good chunk of my time.

I wouldn't want to be a stylist, however, I'd also like to consult. Working with the public is not one of my strengths. I would like to be a walking advertisement for long, strong, healthy African American hair. If others approach me, I would be a plethora of information ready to help to achieve the same results.

I went to cosemetology school about 10 years ago but I didn't finish. I decided to go back to school and get my degree in communications. However, I'd love to go back and get my license.

yes i am definitely considering, esp since i cant find a job so i feel i'll just do this so that i have some money. I'm tryin to get my family then some friends and then who knows who else i can get. Once i get some and do real good w/it i'll take pics and then go to a hair shop, show'em what i've done and maybe work there a bit till i can find something better. money is running low on me again. :P

I've thought about it an I've even talked it over with my husband, but I don't know if I would want to be away from my family that much or stand on my feet all day long
smirk.gif
I've work in customer service since I can remember so dealing with people won't be my problem. The standing will get me because I'm use to sitting in front of a computer all day long, but I've thought about it.
smile.gif

i love to do hair and at one time in my life i did, but i stopped b/c of my so called friends wanted freebies all the time or would never pay me, so i stopped...buti still loveit dearly ,i may just start back again one of theses days, it is one of the few things i really love and it comes really naturally.....

Lets just say this:
If I could just get my hands on one of those liscences so I could shop at those "liscenced cosmetologists" stores, I'd be like this
dance7.gif
bouncy.gif
party2.gif
band2.gif
bdance.gif
alcoholics.gif
cheers.gif

for the rest of my life!

I thought about it. I used to do work study at a community college where part of my duties was to check the cosmetology students papers among other things. The written portions are relatively simple but the skills are something else. Unfortunately most of the girls with the good hair skills, could barely read.

I personally believe that I could have been a stylist if I weren't so heavy handed.

I would like to be a stylist for product purchases only. However, I wouldn't want to deal with clients like myself. Usually, I am low maintenance but every once in a while I get on my stylist's nerves.

I think I would be more interested in owning my own business. I don't like following orders especially if I know I can do a better job then the owner can.

I have not thought about being a stylist, but I have thought about getting my license. That may not make sense, but I don't want to do anyone else's hair. BUT, if I owned my own salon and hired people and educated them on healthy hair, then I could have a stylist who would do exactly what I wanted them to do. I couldn't even come close to making the amount of money that I make now, but I'm all for educating other women.

My dreams are to ensure that each woman that comes into my salon has an initial consultation with me or another highly trained healthy hair care professional prior to her first treatment at my salon. Then in order to maintain her status as a client of mine, she would have to check in quarterly - not for a fee, but as part of our service to them. I would want to know her hair care regimen on a daily basis so that everybody got what they needed from the relationship - healthier hair and happy clients. I would even call them to check on their progress.

I mentioned this to a friend of mine and she thought it was a good idea. Shoot, I could even franchise it. OK, nobody better steal my idea. I know plenty of attorneys.
laugh.gif
Shoot, now that I think about it, I am one.
grin.gif

my mother is a hair stylist, i just think its funny that im the one advising her an her clients about good hair care techniques. her hair has benefitted from the tips an her clients have too.

I was going to try and go to beauty school to get a liscence before I went to college so I could do some hair at school and earn some money, but this was during the summer before my first semester and I didn't have enough time to complete the 1,000 hours.

Oh my goodness Godmademe pretty....i've thought of the sam thing because I want to have a beauty salon, but still focus on nursing or pediatrics, and I would treat the customers hair wonderfully...and denote stereotypes about black women hair

Just up update this thread I am now a stylist. I am a braider though. It is gr8 having a job doing what you enjoy doing :^)
Any1 else in the hair business. Is business really slow for you too?

yes my goal when i get out of high school is to become a stylist and own my own salon...i want to give women what they really need...a salon that focuses on great style AND more importantly health

I have thought about it but decided that it was not for me because: I don't like to get my hands wet all of the time,and I don't even enjoy doing my own hair as much as I used to anymore so I don't see how I could do it on many heads a day.

keke said:
Just up update this thread I am now a stylist. I am a braider though. It is gr8 having a job doing what you enjoy doing :^)
Any1 else in the hair business. Is business really slow for you too?

It's not the best business to be in the clients only come to you long enough to get their hair healthy or relaxed, They don't follow the after care rutine you give them between visits then get mad when you cut off more damaged hair then they like. When the money gets tight the hair is the last thing to get done.

Back