ever get the feeling white women already know this stuff??

dillard

so since i've found lhcf i've been giving away free hair advice to everyone, my mom, my sister, cousins, everyone. for the most part they were all clueless to these things (as was I) that contribute to healthy hair. but i've mentioned these things also to coworkers, my friend, and her mother who are all white women, and it seems they're all very much aware of this stuff. the biggest surprise to me was about biotin, i mentioned to these 3 women that i started taking biotin and a Bcomplex, and all three of them responded... oh really, that stuff is really good for thickening your hair and for faster growth too. one of them even brought up the fact that it might make me itch or have tingly scalp but not to worry about it (which did start happening to me last night). i know it's only 3 women, and that's not representative of an entire race but it just seemed strange that what seemed like common knowledge to them was such news to me and other blk women in my life. have you guys found that to be the case, or no? just curious...

you know, i think black women (generally speaking) focus alot of making the hair look good and forget about for the most part, the actual growth and health of the hair.

White women I think focus on the health of the hair because they don't have to focus on "keeping their napps at bay" or other stuff most black women do. Their routine is more simple and leaves them to care for their hair more.:)

dillard said:
so since i've found lhcf i've been giving away free hair advice to everyone, my mom, my sister, cousins, everyone. for the most part they were all clueless to these things (as was I) that contribute to healthy hair. but i've mentioned these things also to coworkers, my friend, and her mother who are all white women, and it seems they're all very much aware of this stuff. the biggest surprise to me was about biotin, i mentioned to these 3 women that i started taking biotin and a Bcomplex, and all three of them responded... oh really, that stuff is really good for thickening your hair and for faster growth too. one of them even brought up the fact that it might make me itch or have tingly scalp but not to worry about it (which did start happening to me last night). i know it's only 3 women, and that's not representative of an entire race but it just seemed strange that what seemed like common knowledge to them was such news to me and other blk women in my life. have you guys found that to be the case, or no? just curious...

Yup - they do. Remember on Beauty Shop - Queen Latifa was finishing up with her white customer and she said "take those vitamins and drink lots of water"

I don't know. I think that if they generally knew there wouldnt be websites like this http://www.longhaircommunity.com/. I have white friends who ask me how to get their hair to grow. :ohwell: Since a lot of white people are using flat irons now just like us, their hair is being damaged just like us, especially since some people I know use it almost everyday. :eek:
I think that in general the products marketed to whites are better than the ones marketed to us and that helps a lot.

chica_canella said:
you know, i think black women (generally speaking) focus alot of making the hair look good and forget about for the most part, the actual growth and health of the hair.

White women I think focus on the health of the hair because they don't have to focus on "keeping their napps at bay" or other stuff most black women do. Their routine is more simple and leaves them to care for their hair more.:)

:lachen::lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I don't know about supplements, but I can say that not as many know about basic healthy hair care as you would think.

I mean airdrying hair and not using heat and stuff like that seems to just be a convenience to some - not a necessity to ensure healthy hair.

Meanwhile, I see many over processing with dyes and such. Blowdrying and flatironing like crazy. Brushing out kinks and snapping hair like it is no big deal. Just doing stuff that I will not (and CANNOT) do if I want to keep my relaxed hair growing.

Could be although I think that washing their hair everyday is why their hair might be healthier 'cause I DO see a lot of yt women w/ crunchy, thin, over-processed hair.....:look:

sugarose said:
I don't know. I think that if they generally knew there wouldnt be websites like this http://www.longhaircommunity.com/. I have white friends who ask me how to get their hair to grow. :ohwell: Since a lot of white people are using flat irons now just like us, their hair is being damaged just like us, especially since some people I know use it almost everyday. :eek:
I think that in general the products marketed to whites are better than the ones marketed to us and that helps a lot.
Ditto.
My SIL flatirons her hair almost every single day(she has wavy type 2 hair) without a heat protectant and her hair stayed APL for the last three yrs or so:ohwell:
My mother is another example of a yt women that never was able to deal with her own curly hair,I tried to tell her that she should stop using fine-toothed combs and be GENTLE with her hair... she wouldn't really listen tough.
I was able to hook her on pantene frizz control tough.:)

@ChicaCanella
I know you're on point with that one

sugarose said:

yeah, that's true. i guess in general most women are clueless about healthy hair. i wonder though if they are more prone to talking to each other about growing their hair long and exchanging "tips" with each other IRL not just hairboards. I know that personally I would never have asked a long haired black lady what her hair routine was because I figured she was just somehow born with a long hair gene and I wasn't! :ohwell: or I thought that I shouldn't ask because it was somehow wrong to want long hair in the first place. I doubt they have that hangup.

dillard said:
yeah, that's true. i guess in general most women are clueless about healthy hair. i wonder though if they are more prone to talking to each other about growing their hair long and exchanging "tips" with each other IRL not just hairboards. I know that personally I would never have asked a long haired black lady what her hair routine was because I figured she was just somehow born with a long hair gene and I wasn't! :ohwell: or I thought that I shouldn't ask because it was somehow wrong to want long hair in the first place. I doubt they have that hangup.

You're right. My other race friends know me as the hair-obsessed girl and ask me all kinds of questions about my regimen and advice. My black friends just give me looks (most of them can't use the "she has good genes" because they've seen my hair go from APL to right above Midback). One black girl had my white friend come ask me my regimen so she could use it. :perplexed

Back