Ever been to a Dominican Salon w/ tracks ??

SweetNic_JA

I'm thinking of removing my braids and putting in a couple tracks for thickness and length. I also want to get my hair blown out.

Problem: I went to a dominican salon once and there was a lady in there with tracks. The stylist has a slight smirk on her face the whooole time! I want to get my hair styled but i don't want someone skinning their teeth over my head.

I guess I need to know if anyone/or anyone you know has ever gone to to a Dominican salon with tracks in their hair. What was the over all experience?

You can PM if you want

edited to say: I've tried doing my own blowout but it just wasn't the same as the salon.

no but when I was in one recently to buy some salerm, there was a white woman GETTING a sewn in(first time Id ever seen that!) and I know that they perform those services so I dont see why it would be a problem or why they would make an issue of it...

My girlfriend does, all the time actually, she never has a problem. Do you travel to the BX? If so, the salon is on Jerome Avenue (179th St) right next to McDonalds. It's actually attached to a laundromat.

Also, i saw this lady with a full head weave and she gets her's done every wkend at Sunshines on 106th & Columbus. Her hair looked really good. She said everytime she walks out it gets better and better.

I've seen it before SweetNic. They took their time with the client and in the end her hair looked real good
smile.gif
This was about 3 years ago at a salon on 110th in Harlem called Elizabeth's.

Really? I have to admit that I 've never seen that myself. That must have been a sight to see. I wonder if the cornrows were tight.

Do you have any idea how much the Dominicans might charge for that service? I'm a Kitchen-ician
wink.gif
myself so I'd rather do it at home but, I'm all for it if they can do a good job for a reasonable price.

You're right, they shoudln't have a problem doing the service but I just can't forget the look on that woman's face...not nice

Wow thanks for quick responses and thanks for the addresses. I travel to NY all the time so I have no problem visiting the BX...it used to be my second home.

Do you know what they generally charge for that service?

Thanks

Regular wash 'n set price at the Bronx salon... not sure about Sunshines tho... u might have to give them a call but i don't c y they would charge u extra... they r doing the same thing to ur hair with or w/o the tracks.
perplexed.gif

CH about how much do they charge to add the tracks?
I know the wash and sets generally go for $15 - $20 but I'm not sure how about adding the tracks.

OOOOO... u want them to add the tracks? i thought u just meant for a w 'n set and blow out. Ummm... I don't know, i've never had mine done by them. I went to Hairstyles on 229th & White Plains Road... Kay did it. She's really good (black owned salon) BUT they r wayyyyyyy too overbooked so something as simple as 4 tracks can keep u in there for hours on a Saturday.

I have a friend who has a full weave that was done by a guy that works in The Kutting Room a barber shop/beauty salon owned by Lenny the Barber (for those who are familiar with his parties). She goes once a week to the dominicans to get a wash and set.

My Dominican stylist does weaves. She does them in her own hair and I have seen her add tracks to other clients all of the time. In fact, for a few, she added tracks for thickness and and you could hardly tell. Until I saw the actual track I thought it was all their hair.

Her name is Amparo and the salon is in Harlem. It's called Essential Beauty Salon on Amsterdam and 145th-146th streets. PM if you would like more info.

ok, I'm sooo out of it. I didn't even realize how common this was! I'm definitely doing this style. I have a couple questions though.

1. Does it make your hair knotted?
2. Does it pull/break your hair?
3. How long can I keep it in? I'm guessing 1 month

Back