Ethnic differences in hair fiber and hair follicles

jaiku

I came across this interesting info on keratin and ammino acids. I don't know if it has been posted yet. I got the info from www.keratin.com . There was alot of other info there too.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+1]Ethnic differences in hair fiber and hair follicles[/SIZE][/FONT]
Each individual is unique and hair production rate, size, and shape differs for everyone, but in general there are some differences in the nature of hair fiber for people of different ethnic backgrounds.
Asian hair is on average the thickest and most coarse hair compared to Caucasian and African American hair. It is almost always straight and circular in cross section. The density of Asian hair on the scalp (follicles per unit area of skin) is less than that typically observed in Caucasians. The density of hair follicles in African Americans is also somewhat lower than for Caucasians on average. At the lowest end of the spectrum the density of Asian may be just 90,000 scalp follicles and rarely gets above 120,000 scalp follicles.
Caucasian hair can be quite variable in its presentation with straight, wavy or curly hair. The fiber can be circular or oval in cross section and is on average thinner than Asian hair. Hair follicle density varies and density can be approximately related to hair color. Red haired people have the least dense scalp hair growth of Caucasians, blonds the most dense and brown haired people somewhere in the middle. Denstiy can range from 100,000-150,000 scalp hair follicles
African American hair is frequently tightly coiled, or spiral hair. In cross section it is elliptical or almost flat and ribbon-like in some cases. This means that there is more strength and rigidity to the fiber across the area of greatest cross section but the hair is much more pliable across the narrow section. This results in the curls of hair all naturally flexing and coiling along the ribbon while there is little or no coiling from side to side.
Different hair fiber types are produced by different hair follicles. Large, straight hair follicles with a circular cross section produce thick straight hair. Curly, flat hair follicles make curly elliptical or ribbon shaped cross section hair. Many African Americans have very curly, flattened hair follicles in their skin that produce highly coiled hair. Some research suggests that the hair follicles are actually spiral/spring shaped if you were able to look down the length of these hair follicles.
The shape of the hair follicle acts as a mold for the creation of the hair fiber. Deep in the hair follicle, where cells are added to the fiber at the root, the hair is soft and pliable. The cells of the fiber take the shape of the surrounding hair follicle sheath. As the cells are squashed together and keratinized, the chemical bonds form and hold the hair fiber into the shape of the hair follicle. Hence curly hair follicles make curly hair fibers. Don't ask what makes curly hair follicles because we don't know! There might also be racial differences in the chemical composition of the fiber. Some research studies suggest African American hair has a greater amount of low sulfur protein compared to high sulfur protein than observed in Asian or Caucasian individuals. However, other more recent studies have not found a significant difference in the sulfur content of hair fiber from people of different ethnicities.
People with very coiled hair often claim it seems to weather more rapidly with cuticle flaking and deterioration in hair quality. In part this is probably due to the coling putting stress on the hair fiber cuticle. The outer side of a coiled hair has cuticle that is stretched thin and the scales are relatively exposed and easy to catch and damage as when bushing for example. In contrast, the cuticle in the inner side of a coiled hair is relatively thick and scrunched together. Because the hair on the outer side of the coil is so thin and stretched it takes less physical or chemcial action to flake and damage the cuticle exposing the softer cortex of the hair underneath. If anything, African American hair follicles produce more oils and sebum than follicles in other ethnic groups, but the oils are not evenly distributed along the length of the hair fiber because of its coiled shape. As a result, the hair fiber is typically very dry Consequently, African Americans are more likely to need hair oils to supplement their natural oil production and help keep the hair fiber flexible. In addition, tight spiral hair is difficult to brush and comb. Using oils helps reduce the friction and static from combing and make the hair more manageable. African Americans often find they need to use specially formulated oils and shampoos. African American hair responds differently than Caucasian and Asian hair and preferred grooming products contain humectants and mild cleansing agents while avoiding harsh plant oils or harsh detergents such as sodium lauryl sulfate.

Next time a white lady asks me a question about my hair. I can beak it down,hopefully they will not figure out I am a hair addict. Good information

If anything, African American hair follicles produce more oils and sebum than follicles in other ethnic groups, but the oils are not evenly distributed along the length of the hair fiber because of its coiled shape. As a result, the hair fiber is typically very dry Consequently, African Americans are more likely to need hair oils to supplement their natural oil production and help keep the hair fiber flexible

this is good info but what i am still not clear about is why we still have dry scalp. I can understand dry hair because the maybe the oils did not reach the hair length but shouldnt our scalp still have some type of moisture. Anyone know?

If anything, African American hair follicles produce more oils and sebum than follicles in other ethnic groups, but the oils are not evenly distributed along the length of the hair fiber because of its coiled shape. As a result, the hair fiber is typically very dry Consequently, African Americans are more likely to need hair oils to supplement their natural oil production and help keep the hair fiber flexible

this is good info but what i am still not clear about is why we still have dry scalp. I can understand dry hair because the maybe the oils did not reach the hair length but shouldnt our scalp still have some type of moisture. Anyone know?

I think that's individual differences. I found that when I was greasing my scalp many years ago I used to have dandruff. Since stopping the greasing years ago I haven't had dandruff since. I massage my head every night for 10 minutes and my scalp isn't dry. I think the daily massaging has helped my scalp a lot.

I think that's individual differences. I found that when I was greasing my scalp many years ago I used to have dandruff. Since stopping the greasing years ago I haven't had dandruff since. I massage my head every night for 10 minutes and my scalp isn't dry. I think the daily massaging has helped my scalp a lot.

Cosigning on this. My scalp is usually very dry and itchy. It starts to flake up a few days after I wash my hair. For the past week , I have been massaging my scalp everyday and my dandruff has cleared up dramatically.

ITA! Scalp massaging is great for your hair (if you do it properly:yep:)
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/ss_scalpmassage.html

Ayurvedic Hair and Scalp Massage (I will create a new thread about this too)
Hair and Scalp Massage: The Ayurvedic Secret for Gorgeous Hair [SIZE=-1]By Shreelata Suresh[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]According to ayurveda, a healthy beautiful head of hair requires an ongoing care routine that starts with nourishment. Why wait until you experience hair problems? As with your skin, start taking care of it now, and you’ll reap the benefits for years to come.[/SIZE]

Massaging the scalp and hair with warm oil, preferably infused with hair-friendly herbs, is the best way to nourish the scalp and hair topically. Not only does the massage work wonders for your hair, but it also relaxes the mind and nervous system. The oil for the massage can be customized by hair and body type. If your hair is thin, dry and frizzy and prone to split-ends, you have Vata hair. If you have fine hair prone to premature thinning or graying, you are Pitta-predominant. If you are predominantly Kapha, your hair will tend to be thick and oily.

[SIZE=-1]The Benefits[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A warm oil massage, done at least once a week (if you have more Vata in your make-up, you would want to try to do it two to three times a week), has the following benefits:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]It lubricates and conditions the scalp, helping to prevent flakes and dry scalp without the use of harsh chemical shampoos.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]It helps enhance blood circulation in the head and neck area. When the scalp is “tight” from stress, circulation and hair growth are impeded.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]It helps relax the scalp and increase pliability.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]It helps strengthen the roots of the hair and nourishes the hair-shafts, promoting new hair growth and strengthening current hair.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]It helps soften and condition the hair, making it more manageable.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]It spreads the natural oils of the hair, increasing hair luster and vibrancy.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]It helps protect hair from the damaging effects of the sun and harsh weather by improving resiliency over time.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]It is replenishing and rejuvenating for dry, damaged hair, and helps prevent excessive brittleness and split-ends.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]It helps pacify Vata dosha. Especially when enriched with Vata-pacifying herbs, a warm oil hair and scalp massage can be wonderfully relaxing for the mind and nervous system.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]When fortified with cooling, Pitta-pacifying herbs, the hair and scalp massage can help balance Pitta dosha and help prevent Pitta-related problems such as premature graying or thinning of hair. It also helps reduce body heat in general, especially if you have been up late a few nights or your eyes are smarting from too much close work on the computer or reading. A Pitta-pacifying massage also helps promote emotional balance.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The massage helps relax the muscles in the neck area.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The hair and scalp massage can help promote sound sleep at night.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Choosing a Massage Oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]If you are Vata-predominant, choose almond oil or sesame oil as the base oil. Both of these oils are very nourishing for the scalp and hair and help reduce stiffness and tightness in the scalp.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]For Pitta persons, cooling coconut oil is the ideal choice. Because coconut is very Pitta-pacifying, coconut oil massage can retard hair problems such as thinning and premature graying that are associated with an aggravated Pitta dosha.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]If you are Kapha-predominant, sesame or olive oil are good choices. Olive oil has purifying properties that help keep pores open.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]While massaging with a dosha-appropriate base oil can be helpful, ayurvedic oils designed for hair and scalp massage typically include one or more hair-friendly herbs to augment the benefit of the massage. Traditionally, these herbs are slow-cooked with the oil, and the oil is then strained and ready for use.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Brahmi helps calm the mind and nervous system, pacifies Vata and is very nourishing for the hair. It helps promote hair thickness and body. Amalaki is cooling, nourishing and purifying all at the same time, so it is wonderful for all types of hair. It is especially beneficial for Pitta-predominant people because it pacifies Pitta and helps ward off premature thinning and graying of hair. It also helps prevent dry scalp and flakes. Bhringaraj, which translates to “king of tresses,” is also Pitta-pacifying and very nourishing for the hair. Hibiscus is cooling and helps maintain hair color and vitality. Neem is good for Kapha hair; it has purifying and cleansing properties. Rosemary and Lavender are excellent for all types of hair. Rosemary helps stimulate hair follicles and promotes growth, helps retard premature thinning and graying, and soothes and conditions the scalp. Lavender stimulates hair growth, balances oil production and replenishes the hair and scalp. Jasmine helps alleviate stress.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]How to Do the Scalp and Hair Self-Massage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Pour some oil into a bowl and warm the oil by placing the bowl in some hot water. The oil should be warm but comfortable to the touch.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Using the pads of your fingers, apply the oil little by little to different parts of your scalp, parting your hair as needed. Also work some oil along the length of your hair. Then, using the pads of your fingers, work the oil into your scalp, using circular motions. Slow, deliberate movements are relaxing while steady but vigorous movement helps enhance energy and circulation. Cover your entire scalp, all the way down the sides to your ears and at the back to your neck. Leave the oil on for at least 30-60 minutes, longer if you can. If you like, you can dip a towel in hot water, wring it out, and wrap it around your head after your massage for added conditioning and softening of hair. You can even leave the oil on overnight—place a thick towel over your pillow to protect your linens. Shampoo out with a gentle, natural shampoo.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Note:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] This ayurvedic information is educational and is not intended to replace standard medical care or advice. If you have a medical condition, please consult your physician.[/SIZE]
The Author
down.gif
[SIZE=-1]Shreelata Suresh [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]is a yoga instructor from the Bay Area. She writes for various publications on yoga and ayurveda. For more information on ayurveda or to buy pure ayurvedic skin and hair care products, please visit http://www.ayurbalance.com.[/SIZE]

Back