Essential oil must haves

cece22

Please help I am trying to narrow down my essential oil costs. So I wont go on a essential oil spree what is your absolute must have? Right now I don't know whats the best to get. I have dry type 4 hair and sometimes dry scalp. I will definately get peppermint for Cathy Howse's conditioner recipe, but not sure what else to get I would probably get 2 more as well. Help

I would suggest jojoba, since it's the closest oil that mimics the natural oils produced by the scalp with eucalyptus, sage or jasmine.

Last edited:

FYI, jojoba is a carrier oil (base oil) not an essential oil.

As for essential oils for hair that help with growth and stimulation, I say Ylang ylang and rosemary.

For shine I say sandalwood.

I've also been told that adding 100% pure Cinnamon oil to deep conditioners gives an extra strengthening and shine effect. I haven't tried this out, yet, but I noticed that a few of the Dominican conditioners have Cinnamon as an ingredient, so it just may be worth trying.

KAddy said:

FYI, jojoba is a carrier oil (base oil) not an essential oil.

As for essential oils for hair that help with growth and stimulation, I say Ylang ylang and rosemary.

For shine I say sandalwood.

:) :) and I agree, for shine I use coconut oil (it's a carrier oil)
I love tea tree as well.

My top 3 are
Rosemary
Ylang Ylang
Tea Tree

I have 4b, kinda on the dry side relaxed hair and have experimented for years with various essentials and base oils. The absolute BEST for me are:

essential oils: rosemary & ylang ylang
base oils: jojoba & castor

mrslee said:
What does a carrier oil vs. essential oil do for your hair?
Here is primer from www.aromaweb.com:

ESSENTIAL OILS: liquid that is generally distilled (most frequently by steam or water) from the leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, or other elements of a plant. Essential oils, contrary to the use of the word "oil" are not really oily-feeling at all. Most essential oils are clear, but some oils such as patchouli, orange and lemongrass are amber or yellow in color. Essential oils contain the true essence of the plant it was derived from. Essential oils are highly concentrated and a little goes a long way. Examples are: rosemary, ylang ylang, sandlewood, tea tree, clove, nutmeg, bergamot, euclyputus, peppermint, etc.

CARRIER/BASE OILS: Carrier oils also referred to as base oils or vegetable oils are used to dilute essential oils, CO2s and absolutes before applying to the skin. They “carry” the essential oil onto the skin. Different carrier oils offer different properties and the choice of carrier oil can depend on the therapeutic benefit being sought. Carrier oils are generally cold-pressed vegetable oils derived from the fatty portions of the plant. Unlike essential oils that evaporate and have a concentrated aroma, carrier oils do not evaporate or impart their aroma as strongly as essential oils. Examples of carrier oils are sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, avocado, peanut, olive, pecan, macadamia nut, sesame, evening primrose, walnut and wheat germ. Most oils bought in the grocery store are not cold-pressed. Instead, the oils are heated and therefore have less therapeutic benefit. Mineral oil is not used in aromatherapy because mineral oil is not a natural product. It is also said that mineral oil can prevent essential oil absorption into the skin.

Essential oils do not go rancid. Carrier oils, however, can go rancid. Carrier oils that you purchase should be natural and unadulterated. Exceptions include buying carrier oils that have natural vitamin E added. Vitamin E acts as a natural preservative.

HTH!

Neroli said:
Here is primer from www.aromaweb.com:

ESSENTIAL OILS: liquid that is generally distilled (most frequently by steam or water) from the leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, or other elements of a plant. Essential oils, contrary to the use of the word "oil" are not really oily-feeling at all. Most essential oils are clear, but some oils such as patchouli, orange and lemongrass are amber or yellow in color. Essential oils contain the true essence of the plant it was derived from. Essential oils are highly concentrated and a little goes a long way. Examples are: rosemary, ylang ylang, sandlewood, tea tree, clove, nutmeg, bergamot, euclyputus, peppermint, etc.

CARRIER/BASE OILS: Carrier oils also referred to as base oils or vegetable oils are used to dilute essential oils, CO2s and absolutes before applying to the skin. They “carry” the essential oil onto the skin. Different carrier oils offer different properties and the choice of carrier oil can depend on the therapeutic benefit being sought. Carrier oils are generally cold-pressed vegetable oils derived from the fatty portions of the plant. Unlike essential oils that evaporate and have a concentrated aroma, carrier oils do not evaporate or impart their aroma as strongly as essential oils. Examples of carrier oils are sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, avocado, peanut, olive, pecan, macadamia nut, sesame, evening primrose, walnut and wheat germ. Most oils bought in the grocery store are not cold-pressed. Instead, the oils are heated and therefore have less therapeutic benefit. Mineral oil is not used in aromatherapy because mineral oil is not a natural product. It is also said that mineral oil can prevent essential oil absorption into the skin.

Essential oils do not go rancid. Carrier oils, however, can go rancid. Carrier oils that you purchase should be natural and unadulterated. Exceptions include buying carrier oils that have natural vitamin E added. Vitamin E acts as a natural preservative.

HTH!

WONDERFUL! Thanks so much Neroli!!!

Thanks Ladies well I did not keep the cost down as usaul. Now I have to figure out what to do with them.

I got:
Rosemary
Peppermint
Tea Tree
Cederwood
Ylang Ylang

Hey ladies, I posted a thread with recipes and such that has some of the essential oils for hair on the recipe board. Here is the POST

i use castor oil
meadowfoam oil
shea oil
carrot oil
jojoba oil
rosemary oil
and coconut oil

thats it and i have a whole LOAD of them...lol im not buying any more until its all gone

Back