Ends snapping to the touch! Please help

ErikaUK

Can somebody please help? I've just sprayed my hair with a moisture spritz and was undoing my chunky twists so that I can seal them with oil, but there was snapping sounds and I have lots broken hairs on my fingers!

I moisturised with the same spritz this morning before putting on my wig....

Last night I also sprayed before baggying for the night....

And yesterday I co-washed my hair, DCed with ORS hair mayonnaise and a heat cap for an hour, acv rinsed, applied a leave in and sealed with my whipped shea butter....

The night before I baggied with oils.

Am I using too much moisture? (!) or protein....?

I have fine 4a hair

My spritz = aloe vera gel, jojoba oil, rosewater and few drops tea tree

My leave in = kimmaytube

I was careful to keep the ph balance of acv rinse at 5.

What am I doing wrong?

Can you provide more details? Like are you relaxed, texlaed, transitioning, natural? How often do you shampoo wash and/or co-wash your hair? Do you ever use heat and how often? How does your hair feel once it dries? What do you use to detangle your hair?

Can somebody please help? I've just sprayed my hair with a moisture spritz and was undoing my chunky twists so that I can seal them with oil, but there was snapping sounds and I have lots broken hairs on my fingers!

I moisturised with the same spritz this morning before putting on my wig....

Last night I also sprayed before baggying for the night....

And yesterday I co-washed my hair, DCed with ORS hair mayonnaise and a heat cap for an hour, acv rinsed, applied a leave in and sealed with my whipped shea butter....

The night before I baggied with oils.

Am I using too much moisture? (!) or protein....?

I have fine 4a hair

My spritz = aloe vera gel, jojoba oil, rosewater and few drops tea tree

My leave in = kimmaytube

I was careful to keep the ph balance of acv rinse at 5.

What am I doing wrong?

@ the bolded This stuff is no joke... it made my fine hair sooo brittle... I will never use mayo or any egg protein again.

You sound like you have protein overload and honesty, you seem to be doing a whole lot to your hair in general. you have so much DC'n, baggying, and oiling, and acving going on your hair cant adjust.

Keep it simple hunny. you will find the naturals with the longest hair have the simplest reggies.

the mayo probably made your hair hard and plus the acv stripped it especially if you did not dilute the ACV (u didnt specify).

My advice:
Do a moisture DC and put your hair up for a few days. do a simple tuck and roll or bun and air dry if you can. Twists outs may be too much manipulation until you get your moisture/protein balance in check.

@ the bolded This stuff is no joke... it made my fine hair sooo brittle... I will never use mayo or any egg protein again.

You sound like you have protein overload and honesty, you seem to be doing a whole lot to your hair in general. you have so much DC'n, baggying, and oiling, and acving going on your hair cant adjust.

Keep it simple hunny. you will find the naturals with the longest hair have the simplest reggies.

the mayo probably made your hair hard and plus the acv stripped it especially if you did not dilute the ACV (u didnt specify).

My advice:
Do a moisture DC and put your hair up for a few days. do a simple tuck and roll or bun and air dry if you can. Twists outs may be too much manipulation until you get your moisture/protein balance in check.

Agreed! No offense, but is this a new reggie for you? It sound like plenty of hodge podge. I am relaxed, but I cannot use protein unless it is thorougly mixed with a moisturizing con. And the protein would only count for less than 1/3 of the mix.

ACV absolutely does need to be diluted. If your porosity is fine than there's no point of using the ACV. And if your hair is over proteinated than its even more trouble.

Do a moisturizing co wash after your hair is dry and put it away for a day or two. it will be easier to assess your needs once you're not freaking out. :yep: Hth!

I'm sorry to hear your going through this! I'm not a pro but I do have the same hair type as you and no matter what kind of DC I use 30min is as long as I can leave it in even w/o heat. I left my last DC in for 45min by mistake and I'm thankful I didn't see alot of breakage. I wish you luck!

The aloe vera has protein properties within it. So that along with the ORS Mayo and the ACV is probably the problem. Do an overnight moisture rich DC or leave on for a few hours, if you do this regularly I'm sure your hair will whip back into shape quickly.

The aloe vera has protein properties within it. So that along with the ORS Mayo is probably the problem. Do an overnight moisture rich DC or leave on for a few hours, if you do this regularly I'm sure your hair will whip back into shape quickly.

Try a few hours first OP

overnight DC's can reak havoc after protein overload.

Protein enhances the hairs ability to absorb and retain moisture, so an overnight DC especially on fine hair may cause moisture overload.

Try a few hours first OP

overnight DC's can reak havoc after protein overload.

Protein enhances the hairs ability to absorb and retain moisture, so an overnight DC especially on fine hair may cause moisture overload.

Yeah that's absolutely true, probably best to just take baby steps rather than rush to get a result and make it worse. :yep:

Can you provide more details? Like are you relaxed, texlaed, transitioning, natural? How often do you shampoo wash and/or co-wash your hair? Do you ever use heat and how often? How does your hair feel once it dries? What do you use to detangle your hair?

My hair is natural , 4a and fine I shampoo say every 2 weeks with non sulfate shampoo, but I co-wash as an when. No more than twice a week. Never ever use heat because it would make me bald! I detangle with my fingers or magic star comb.

My advice:

I've never liked the mayo but I wanted to use it up cos I've got a big jar with most of it left! Nope - it's going in the bin. Never again. I admit I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to protein - I guess once every two weeks is too much - but I'll use something else next time.

You are right, I will keep it simple next time. There is a fantastic wealth of info on here, but I guess you can't do it all at once! Thanks

Agreed! No offense, but is this a new reggie for you? It sound like plenty of hodge podge. I am relaxed, but I cannot use protein unless it is thorougly mixed with a moisturizing con. And the protein would only count for less than 1/3 of the mix.

ACV absolutely does need to be diluted. If your porosity is fine than there's no point of using the ACV. And if your hair is over proteinated than its even more trouble.

Do a moisturizing co wash after your hair is dry and put it away for a day or two. it will be easier to assess your needs once you're not freaking out. :yep: Hth!

Yes this reggie is 100% new. Nearly everything I'm doing is new! I don't even know what porosity is :nono: "plenty of hodge podge" yes indeed. As another member suggested, I will take baby steps, and try not to freak out. Thank you for all the suggestions :)

My hair is natural , 4a and fine I shampoo say every 2 weeks with non sulfate shampoo, but I co-wash as an when. No more than twice a week. Never ever use heat because it would make me bald! I detangle with my fingers or magic star comb.

Ok. I agree with the other ladies, lay off the protein for a while and see what happens. Find a good moisturizing conditioner.

If you are not doing so already ready, I would also recommend increasing your water intake and finding a good multivitamin.

It has also been my experience that if the hair does not grow strong to begin with, you will be chasing your tail with products trying to control breakage later on. HTH.

I would just moisturize for now w/o the protein. Do another DC but moisture only. The ladies identified which products you were using are protein based, just use those protein products in moderation like once a week and find moisture leave-ins and a moisture DC product to alternative for DCing.

Back