End Care....

BrownBetty

Hola,

I just cut 3" of hair on Saturday. I was below bra strap but not anymore. The ends needed to go they were breaking and splitting. So now after a fresh relaxer, and some long layers I am trying to prevent my ends from splitting and breaking.
Can you all give me some suggestions? I already where my hair up 80% of the time. I sleep with it wrapped... I don't know what else to do. All of your suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
MV

Something that I find keep my ends very moist is Verifen Complex Constant Care for Ends. I've only been using it for a couple of days but so far so good. Keeping them moist should help with your problem.

Adrian said:
Something that I find keep my ends very moist is Verifen Complex Constant Care for Ends. I've only been using it for a couple of days but so far so good. Keeping them moist should help with your problem.

Try Tigi Bed Head Split End Mender after every wash. It works wonders.

I may try the Tigi. I'm getting a mini chop (an inch or 2) to get rid of my broken ends AGAIN. This is the LAST TIME. I need to keep my ends in shape!

At least twice a day I'll use a light moisturizer on my ends and seal with a little oil, usually jojoba.

Be mindful of the protein content in products made specifically for ends. There was once a thread where a lot of women mentioned that while in the beginning those things worked for them, with consistent, prolonged use they got breakage due to all the protein.

My hair is extremely dry, and to keep my ends in tact, I follow this basic plan:

I use a moisturizing spray on the ends. If you're looking for a product, I just buy whatever fits my budget and has the right ingredients. Just about any kind of good braid sheen or a product or a spray like S-Curl or UBH's Dew will work just fine as long as it does not contain any isopropyl alcohol or other drying ingredients including protein and does contain moisture retainers like glycerin and a light oil. Even if the spray does not contain an oil, I just add a little EVOO to the bottle--I'm not hooked on any particular brand.

I spray my hair, dampening the ends pretty well. Then--depending on the season--I'll seal in that moisture with a little EVOO (colder weather), or a light cream moisturizer (warmer weather). I do this every night to put my hair to "bed". When I wake up, I just use a nickel-size dollop of light moisturizer all over, and will add a little extra on dry-feeling ends. When the weather is colder, I tuck the ends in a phony pony or an up-do. I also carry a moisturizer around with me in the winter and use it when my hair starts to dry out. What can I say? I'm a New Englander, and I have to change up my routine very often! :lol: :lol: But, this routine works well for me.

luvSLave said:
At least twice a day I'll use a light moisturizer on my ends and seal with a little oil, usually jojoba.

Be mindful of the protein content in products made specifically for ends. There was once a thread where a lot of women mentioned that while in the beginning those things worked for them, with consistent, prolonged use they got breakage due to all the protein.

I totally agree becareful what u put on your hair after prolonged use.
I use as many natural products as i can.My hair does not like a lot of chemicals (like hair moisturizers).
To save my ends I carry a vile of unrefined coconut oil in my purse and apply it to my ends throughout the day or as needed.This oil is light so you can re-apply without your hair looking greasy.This oil works wonders during the cold winter months!

Cookie, I found an ingredient list I had printed out earlier. Here we go:

Constant Care for Ends is a conditioning supplement that provides moisture and extra protection for dry, delicate ends. When used daily, it effectively retards ends from splitting, while adding a healthy shine. It also shields ends when straightening with heat implements, helping to make them smoother. For best maintenance trim away unhealthy ends.

DIRECTIONS: Apply to the ends by gently working in with fingertips until creme is absorbed into the strands, and ends feel smooth. Do not overapply. Experiment to find out what amount is right for your hair. If lenght permits, style hair "up" after application (tucking away ends) so that ends are even more protected. For product to maintain it original consistency, refrigerate or store in cool place.

INGREDIENTS: Isocetyl Stearoyl Stearate, Petrolatum, Stearilc Acid, Linoleamidopropyl Ethyl Dimonium Ethosulfate, (&) Diethyl Lauramine
Isostearate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E), Propylene Glycol (&) Diazolidinyl Urea
and Methylparaben (&) Propoylparaben & Fragrance.
Contains no artificial color

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST!

Legend said:
My hair is extremely dry, and to keep my ends in tact, I follow this basic plan:

I use a moisturizing spray on the ends. If you're looking for a product, I just buy whatever fits my budget and has the right ingredients. Just about any kind of good braid sheen or a product or a spray like S-Curl or UBH's Dew will work just fine as long as it does not contain any isopropyl alcohol or other drying ingredients including protein and does contain moisture retainers like glycerin and a light oil. Even if the spray does not contain an oil, I just add a little EVOO to the bottle--I'm not hooked on any particular brand.

I spray my hair, dampening the ends pretty well. Then--depending on the season--I'll seal in that moisture with a little EVOO (colder weather), or a light cream moisturizer (warmer weather). I do this every night to put my hair to "bed". When I wake up, I just use a nickel-size dollop of light moisturizer all over, and will add a little extra on dry-feeling ends. When the weather is colder, I tuck the ends in a phony pony or an up-do. I also carry a moisturizer around with me in the winter and use it when my hair starts to dry out. What can I say? I'm a New Englander, and I have to change up my routine very often! :lol: :lol: But, this routine works well for me.
I do the exact same thing minus the phony pony:lol: I use the same moisturizing technique right down to the braid spray for moisture(I thought I was the only one:grin: ) then I put my hair up in a butterfly clip every day(I'm getting people at school anxious because they never see me with my hair down:lol: ) To start off the week however, on wash days I use a whole bunch of thick moisturizing lotion on my hair when still wet and seal it in with WGO...and concentrate on the ends of course. Since incorporating this moisturizing technique my hair stays moisturized right down to the ends:)

I really like Bed Head Ego Boost. A little pricey, but it does the job on keeping my split ends under control. :look:

I had a similar question a few months ago because dry ends are a major problem for me. and HoneyLemonDrop replied to my question. She has a fantastic oil mist for her ends (you can ask her for the specifics) - she mixes some of her favorite oils in a misting bottle with some distilled water and spritzes her ends, nape and hairline with it. i've been doing this recently and its helped keep my ends moist. also, lately i've been rinsing my hair daily in the shower, applying conditioner and either leave it in or rinse it out (if i rinse it out, i apply a leave-in once i get out the shower.) that and keeping my ends protected - in the buns that i hate - have helped my ends stay moist.

Back