Encouraging words.

Sheriberi

I'm reading Adventuring Through the Bible by Ray Stedman (it's an easy-to-use comprehensive guide to the entire bible). In the chapter on the book of Joshua I found encouragement in the following passage:

In chapter two we have the remarkable and intriguing story of Rahab and the spies that were sent out by Israel. When these spies came into the house of Rahab, she hid them under some flax drying on the roof. While the men of the city were searching for them. the spies learned a most startling secret from Rahab:
"I know that the Lord has given you the land, and that the fear of you has fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land melt away before you. For we have beard how the Lord dried up the water of the Red Sea before you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites that were beyond the Jordan, to Sihon and Og, whom you utterly destroyed. And as soon as we heard it, our hearts melted and there was no courage left in any man, because of you; for the Lord your God is he who is God in heaven above and on earth beneath..." (Joshua 2:9-11 RSV)
How long before the spies entered into this city had these events taken place? Forty years. In other words, for forty years the inhabitants of Jericho had been a defeated foe. Their hearts were melted. They were defeated before the armies got anywhere close. Israel could have gone in at any time and taken the land. How long have you been waiting to enter in and take a defeated foe in your life?

I'm reading Adventuring Through the Bible by Ray Stedman (it's an easy-to-use comprehensive guide to the entire bible). In the chapter on the book of Joshua I found encouragement in the following passage:

In chapter two we have the remarkable and intriguing story of Rahab and the spies that were sent out by Israel. When these spies came into the house of Rahab, she hid them under some flax drying on the roof. While the men of the city were searching for them. the spies learned a most startling secret from Rahab:
"I know that the Lord has given you the land, and that the fear of you has fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land melt away before you. For we have beard how the Lord dried up the water of the Red Sea before you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites that were beyond the Jordan, to Sihon and Og, whom you utterly destroyed. And as soon as we heard it, our hearts melted and there was no courage left in any man, because of you; for the Lord your God is he who is God in heaven above and on earth beneath..." (Joshua 2:9-11 RSV)
How long before the spies entered into this city had these events taken place? Forty years. In other words, for forty years the inhabitants of Jericho had been a defeated foe. Their hearts were melted. They were defeated before the armies got anywhere close. Israel could have gone in at any time and taken the land. How long have you been waiting to enter in and take a defeated foe in your life?

Awesome Word ! Awesome!

That word had me laughing. It's like an arrow that hit the mark. Thank you, I really needed that tonight.

Back