Emotional Availability. Well, What Does That Really Look Like?

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Good morning ladies,

I was thinking about the qualities that I need in a partner, and emotional availability is one of them. So I do my visualizations in order to get a feel of what I'm looking for, but for someone reason I can quite pin down what that would look like.

Is it simply long talks about feelings?
An ability to express emotions?
An ability to respond to a partners emotional expression?

What exactly does/did this look like in your quality relationships?

not hiding feelings for whatever reason
not always putting you in a position to guess what he is thinking, feels, or wants
lets you know his specific concerns regarding you/the relationship
lets you know if he knows he is not ready for [whatever]
is open about status of relationship (seeing other people, not the monogamous type, whatever)
actually knows what he is looking for and not telling you some crap about "just seeing where things go"
knows what went wrong in past relationships
knows limits in current relationship w/ you (ie not affectionate, doesnt need to call all day everyday)

Dang, according to the list most people aren't emotionally available.

I brought this up because I am currently in therapy and learning how to recognize and express my feelings.
The phrase gets thrown around a lot, but I only know 2 people who are very clear and expressive in this manner.

not hiding feelings for whatever reason
not always putting you in a position to guess what he is thinking, feels, or wants
lets you know his specific concerns regarding you/the relationship
lets you know if he knows he is not ready for [whatever]
is open about status of relationship (seeing other people, not the monogamous type, whatever)
actually knows what he is looking for and not telling you some crap about "just seeing where things go"
knows what went wrong in past relationships
knows limits in current relationship w/ you (ie not affectionate, doesnt need to call all day everyday)

soooooooo, I am basically about to cop this list from you. Love it.

What I have found is that we attract emotionally unavailable people if we are emotionally unavailable. Not necessarily to other people, but to ourselves. So you may be very open and sweet to others but don't listen to yourself or honor your needs regarding rest or whatever it is your heart is asking you for. I find that that the more in touch you are with your own self and your own feelings and needs the better your relationships become and the more open people are to you. Otherwise it's really hard to get folks to be open up and be vulnerable. It's like trying to pry open a can with a plastic spoon.

What I have found is that we attract emotionally unavailable people if we are emotionally unavailable. Not necessarily to other people, but to ourselves. So you may be very open and sweet to others but don't listen to yourself or honor your needs regarding rest or whatever it is your heart is asking you for. I find that that the more in touch you are with your own self and your own feelings and needs the better your relationships become and the more open people are to you. Otherwise it's really hard to get folks to be open up and be vulnerable. It's like trying to pry open a can with a plastic spoon.

Now, that's real. How can you be authentically available for someone else if you can't even be available for yourself?

Now, that's real. How can you be authentically available for someone else if you can't even be available for yourself?

Yes and Yes....Just YESSSSSS to it ALLL!

I agree with CaraWalkers list. Also a lot of people seem emotionally unavailable because you can't be everything on that list with EVERYONE. You would suffer quickly. I often make sure I practice these qualities once in a while and show my availablity to those I know will be responsible with it, and then I practice my emotional guarding with everyone else.

Not everyone is worthy of all those traits listed because they will not reciprocate or appreciate their meaning.

Quoting for emphasis. Feel your feelings, sounds so simply but so many people push down or run away from their feelings. This is one reason why I think me time is so important. Take some time to just be, to just feel! Write them down if it helps.

I've learned that it's extremely important for a man to communicate (in actions AND words) his intentions.

Slightly off topic but I love this article regarding emotional availability (and lack of it); it put a lot of things into perspective for me:

http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-09-24/7-signs-that-youre-the-one-who’s-emotionally-unavailable/

Sooooooo, this article was everything. Not that I didn't know this already (I had an unconfirmed inkling), but I am slightly :look: emotionally unavailable, and so many of these signs were spot on. I have some work to do. Thank you for sharing!

@hopeful you are so right! I have learned that we (men & women) develop traits during childhood from modeled relationships and we act out according to our most intimate childhood relationships (parents/guardians/care-givers). It's interesting to ask a man about his parent's relationship and how he feels about what he experienced. I also just read the article below on oprah.com that was eye-opening....

How to Tell Which Attractions Lead to Love...and Which Lead to Pain
The author of Deeper Dating explains what you need to know—right now—about your future relationships.
By Ken Page

201505-AttractionsThatLeadToLove-promo-949x534.jpg

Illustration: Natsuo Ikegami/Moment/Getty Images

This is the way we have been taught to understand our attractions: You're either attracted to someone right now, or you won't ever be. For example, Ann was attracted to guys who were somewhat arrogant, but she didn't appreciate being treated disrespectfully by anyone—least of all by her boyfriend! Still, cocky guys turned her on in a visceral way, and nice guys just didn't. She really wanted a husband and family, but the people she was attracted to weren't marriage material, and the ones who were marriage material didn't excite her.

If you relate to Ann's predicament, you certainly are not alone. All of us are attracted to certain types that can knock us off balance: a physical type, an emotional type and a personality type. These iconic attractions can make us weak in the knees, and they trigger our insecurities, as well as our longings. We keep feeling we have to do something to win our partner's love, approval or care. These are what I call "attractions of deprivation."

With some attractions of deprivation, we see the red flags early on but can't stop ourselves. With others, the upsetting aspects of the relationship don't reveal themselves right away. Soon enough, however, these less-than-positive qualities become obvious, whether your partner is lying, cheating, unavailable to you in times of need, overly critical, selfish or—in the worst cases—addicted to substances or in the grip of a psychological disorder.

If these attractions are so painful, why isn't it easier for us to break free of them? One reason is that attractions of deprivation are what behavioral theorists call "intermittent reward systems." In these systems, you get rewarded only sporadically and you can't control when the reward will come. Intermittent reward systems are some of the most compelling forms of reinforcement and among the hardest to break free of. Gambling is a perfect example.

Attractions of deprivation are also among the trickiest ways to flee real intimacy. In these relationships, our fear of intimacy is hiding in plain sight. We're desperately seeking a solid love—from someone who we know, deep down, won't give it to us. With an attraction of deprivation, in some odd way, we are safe. I've found that the people most drawn to attractions of deprivation experience discomfort, fear, unworthiness or anger when they are confronted with a kind, stable and available partner. The more we are drawn to attractions of deprivation, the less we will feel comfortable with available and caring people. Attractions of deprivation are frequently birthed by our fear of our own power and, oftentimes, our fear of love. At bottom, they are distractions from the scariest things of all: the challenge of our gifts in our lives.

The great secret to lasting love lies in learning the difference between your "attractions of deprivation" and your "attractions of inspiration." Then only follow your attractions of inspiration. This method sounds so simple, yet it takes decades for most of us to arrive at this truth, if we ever do at all.

Recognizing attractions of inspiration takes time, patience—and attention. In these relationships, our challenge is to accept and return our partner's caring, not to win that caring. Attractions of inspiration are fueled by the real sense of well-being that the relationship creates in us, not by the unrelenting itch for something that's denied us. These attractions often unfold slowly. They get richer as time goes on.

Here are some markers for identifying your attractions of inspiration: Are you inspired by your partner's (mostly) consistent caring and acceptance? Are you inspired by your partner's goodness, decency and integrity? Is your love fueled by respect for the kind of person your partner is? Are you and your partner willing to do the hard work of healing the relationship's areas of weakness? Do you like who you are in the presence of your partner? Does he or she make you a better you?

Relationships of inspiration are not just for the lucky. We all can find these relationships by dating in wiser ways. The first step on this path is to look for inspiration at least as much as we look for sexual attraction. These relationships are not only the path to love; they are the path to our own greatness. Through them we can find a way past the fears and wounds that dwarf us. We experience our partner seeing into our very core—and valuing what is there. With this comes a sense of bravery, an innate desire to share our gifts—not out of obligation but from a sense of joyful overflow. And that makes us into just the kind of person we are looking for—one who inspires others simply by who he or she is.

201505_Deeper-Dating_Ken-Page-300x205.jpg
This adapted excerpt was taken from Deeper Dating by Ken Page.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/shiftyourlife/Which-Attractions-Lead-to-Love#ixzz3bGlwaRru

@hopeful you are so right! I have learned that we (men & women) develop traits during childhood from modeled relationships and we act out according to our most intimate childhood relationships (parents/guardians/care-givers). It's interesting to ask a man about his parent's relationship and how he feels about what he experienced. I also just read the article below on oprah.com that was eye-opening....

The author of Deeper Dating explains what you need to know—right now—about your future relationships.
By Ken Page

This is the way we have been taught to understand our attractions: You're either attracted to someone right now, or you won't ever be. For example, Ann was attracted to guys who were somewhat arrogant, but she didn't appreciate being treated disrespectfully by anyone—least of all by her boyfriend! Still, cocky guys turned her on in a visceral way, and nice guys just didn't. She really wanted a husband and family, but the people she was attracted to weren't marriage material, and the ones who were marriage material didn't excite her.

If you relate to Ann's predicament, you certainly are not alone. All of us are attracted to certain types that can knock us off balance: a physical type, an emotional type and a personality type. These iconic attractions can make us weak in the knees, and they trigger our insecurities, as well as our longings. We keep feeling we have to do something to win our partner's love, approval or care. These are what I call "attractions of deprivation."

With some attractions of deprivation, we see the red flags early on but can't stop ourselves. With others, the upsetting aspects of the relationship don't reveal themselves right away. Soon enough, however, these less-than-positive qualities become obvious, whether your partner is lying, cheating, unavailable to you in times of need, overly critical, selfish or—in the worst cases—addicted to substances or in the grip of a psychological disorder.

If these attractions are so painful, why isn't it easier for us to break free of them? One reason is that attractions of deprivation are what behavioral theorists call "intermittent reward systems." In these systems, you get rewarded only sporadically and you can't control when the reward will come. Intermittent reward systems are some of the most compelling forms of reinforcement and among the hardest to break free of. Gambling is a perfect example.

Attractions of deprivation are also among the trickiest ways to flee real intimacy. In these relationships, our fear of intimacy is hiding in plain sight. We're desperately seeking a solid love—from someone who we know, deep down, won't give it to us. With an attraction of deprivation, in some odd way, we are safe. I've found that the people most drawn to attractions of deprivation experience discomfort, fear, unworthiness or anger when they are confronted with a kind, stable and available partner. The more we are drawn to attractions of deprivation, the less we will feel comfortable with available and caring people. Attractions of deprivation are frequently birthed by our fear of our own power and, oftentimes, our fear of love. At bottom, they are distractions from the scariest things of all: the challenge of our gifts in our lives.

The great secret to lasting love lies in learning the difference between your "attractions of deprivation" and your "attractions of inspiration." Then only follow your attractions of inspiration. This method sounds so simple, yet it takes decades for most of us to arrive at this truth, if we ever do at all.

Recognizing attractions of inspiration takes time, patience—and attention. In these relationships, our challenge is to accept and return our partner's caring, not to win that caring. Attractions of inspiration are fueled by the real sense of well-being that the relationship creates in us, not by the unrelenting itch for something that's denied us. These attractions often unfold slowly. They get richer as time goes on.

Here are some markers for identifying your attractions of inspiration: Are you inspired by your partner's (mostly) consistent caring and acceptance? Are you inspired by your partner's goodness, decency and integrity? Is your love fueled by respect for the kind of person your partner is? Are you and your partner willing to do the hard work of healing the relationship's areas of weakness? Do you like who you are in the presence of your partner? Does he or she make you a better you?

Relationships of inspiration are not just for the lucky. We all can find these relationships by dating in wiser ways. The first step on this path is to look for inspiration at least as much as we look for sexual attraction. These relationships are not only the path to love; they are the path to our own greatness. Through them we can find a way past the fears and wounds that dwarf us. We experience our partner seeing into our very core—and valuing what is there. With this comes a sense of bravery, an innate desire to share our gifts—not out of obligation but from a sense of joyful overflow. And that makes us into just the kind of person we are looking for—one who inspires others simply by who he or she is.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/shiftyourlife/Which-Attractions-Lead-to-Love#ixzz3bGlwaRru

i love this!!! I am Ana wholeheartedly. Im tempted to buy the book lol

By Ken Page

That was a beautiful read. Thank you for sharing.

This thread is so timely, because Im currently dissolving a romantic relationship with a gent that is EU.

However, there is another dude that has been pursuing that is EA, but Im not really physically attracted to him. I feel bad now, because I know that he was the one I shouldve been talking to all along.

Have any of you not been really into a guy, but because of his ability to be EA you grew to be attracted to him although you initially were not physically attracted to him?

While I do think some people (and I too) have struggled with being attracted at times to types I KNOW will be unavailable to me (and staying much longer than I should once I have learned that fact) and understand what the excerpt was saying about choosing more wisely (and being more open to people you wouldn't necess. be initially attracted to because of personal issues), I don't necessarily believe that you should deny yourself the joy of being attracted to someone you are pursuing something with.

Call me crazy, but I both want someone that is Emotionally available AND physically attractive to me. I don't think you have to sacrifice one for the other.

No physical attraction + Emotional Availability = Friends. Lol. Thats why I don't date my girlfriends. :lol: shrugs.

@NGraceO
But that's what the article says: "The first step on this path is to look for inspiration at least as much as we look for sexual attraction."

I have also noticed that the older I get the more I am attracted to kindness, availability, and attentiveness, as in a person is attractive to me based heavily on that criteria. People who seem to need/want to be chased or encouraged to like me are unappealing to me. Like they can still be attractive, good looking or whatever, but also not attractive to me. When I started to see this shift in myself I was thrilled. It makes everything easier in life IMO.

I always thought emotionally available means he is willing and able to be in a "regular" dating relationship that can lead to long term and he can legally marry you.

I know emotionally unavailable means he is not really your man for whatever reason. That's my very simplified definition.

Preach.

Back