Eliminating breakage while stretching: TIPS

cocoagirl

I am about 7 months post and wanted to continue stretching for another 2-3 months. The problem is I have been suffering from some breakage, mostly straight pieces of hair, and w/o examining them to closely, I think the hair is breaking from the line of demarcation. I did a hard core Aphogee protein treatment two weeks ago, but I am still getting some long pieces of hair after my wash.
One of the reasons I am trying to stretch also is that I swim once a week for the next 7 weeks, so I didn't want to Swim/wash hair Sunday and then get a touch up on Fri/Sat, just to swim again on Sunday. It would be a waste of a relaxer to me.
Sooooo, my question is:
Is there another step/product I can take/use to eliminate the breakage while I continue my stretch?
What has worked for you?
Should I just get a touch up and say forget it?

Try applying your conditioner with an applicator brush to make sure your hair is nicely covered. You might also benefit from fortifying products like keracare intensive mask. I find it helps keep my hair strong and reduce breakage and shedding. Mizani thermasmooth conditioner is another product that moisturizes and strengthens the hair very well. I also see less hair after conditioning for 10-15 minutes or so with it.

Hmm, I just bought SheScentIt Fortifying Masque, wasn't sure how soon to use it after doing the 2 step, but I guess I"ll use it next wash. If that doesn't help I may have to breakdown and get a touchup..Any more ideas greatly appreciated...

Hmm, I just bought SheScentIt Fortifying Masque, wasn't sure how soon to use it after doing the 2 step, but I guess I"ll use it next wash. If that doesn't help I may have to breakdown and get a touchup..Any more ideas greatly appreciated...

I've used that before. I love the way it smells. It has lots of good emollients and moisturizers in it.

I hope you get more feedback and good luck :)

I just stick with moisturizing conditioners that melt into my hairstrands, I don't mess with hardcore protein once my stretch hits several months for me that has made my hair brittle and prone to start breaking.

I love silk elements moisturizing conditioner melts into the hair keeps it very moisturized while stretching.

So stick with deep conditioning with moisturizing products, i've done this for years and always had successful healthy stretches.

I do both, I would apply a aphogee 2 minute rinse for 5 minutes and then Silk Elements Megasilk for a few hours, and don't have any issues stretching. Right now I am going towards 5 months post.

Try pre-pooing with coconut oil before you shampoo. Make sure your roots are completely saturated with oil and let it sit with a shower cap for at least 30 minutes. This is what has helped me stretch this long when my hair starts to act up.

I am about 7 months post and wanted to continue stretching for another 2-3 months. The problem is I have been suffering from some breakage, mostly straight pieces of hair, and w/o examining them to closely, I think the hair is breaking from the line of demarcation. I did a hard core Aphogee protein treatment two weeks ago, but I am still getting some long pieces of hair after my wash.
One of the reasons I am trying to stretch also is that I swim once a week for the next 7 weeks, so I didn't want to Swim/wash hair Sunday and then get a touch up on Fri/Sat, just to swim again on Sunday. It would be a waste of a relaxer to me.
Sooooo, my question is:
Is there another step/product I can take/use to eliminate the breakage while I continue my stretch?
What has worked for you?
Should I just get a touch up and say forget it?

They key for me is making sure my new growth is super soft. I always pre-poo with EVOO or Coconut oil and I add EVOO to my new growth when I DC (under the dryer for 20-30 min). The EVOO does it. I can slide a comb through my hair with ease. Aphogee treatments are good every 6 weeks or so, but in the meantime, you need moisture! I co-wash once a week with a good moisturizing conditioner and I moisturize my new growth everyday (sometimes twice a day) with a spritz made of glycerin and water (75% water, 25% vegetable glycerin). It works wonders!

Don't give up the stretch, because you may regret it. Just keep looking for products that work for you!

Edited to add: I use a good deep conditioner on my whole head and then add the EVOO with a color applicator bottle to my new growth, cover with plastic cap and sit under the dryer. Also, the glycerin/water mix is not good for braidouts, twist-outs, etc unless you use very little. Too much and you'll look like you have a jheri curl! Lol! It's great for bunning though!

Last edited:
how are you styling your hair daily? Have you tried cornrows under a wig? washing in cornrows along with the moisturizing conditioner advice given above. Also moisturize through out the week while in cornrows if you try it
HTH

Im 5 months post and i wash and condition with Natures fusion from Pantene not to mention i dc with NTMand the Natures fusion condish
I blow dry them oil hair with castor oil it makes a hell of a difference my hair is always soft

Maybe a moisturizing deep conditioner with ceramides? Im about 7 months post almost and ceramides are really helping me...

I don't use any direct heat and I do protein treatments once a week and moisturize my hair everyday. I also do not comb my hair on a daily basis. One thing that really helps durning my stretches (I do them for 6-9 months) is to apply my conditioners, protein treatments, and moisturizers like I am doing my relaxer. By doing it this way I do not miss a strand and I do not have alot of breakage.

I love silk elements moisturizing conditioner melts into the hair keeps it very moisturized while stretching.

and then Silk Elements Megasilk for a few hours, and don't have any issues stretching. Right now I am going towards 5 months post.
I keep getting mixed reviews about the SE conditioner which is why I haven't tried it...rt now I'm using AOHSR but am always looking for a new fab condish.

Try pre-pooing with coconut oil before you shampoo. Make sure your roots are completely saturated with oil and let it sit with a shower cap for at least 30 minutes. This is what has helped me stretch this long when my hair starts to act up.

They key for me is making sure my new growth is super soft. I always pre-poo with EVOO or Coconut oil and I add EVOO to my new growth when I DC (under the dryer for 20-30 min). The EVOO does it.
Don't give up the stretch, because you may regret it. Just keep looking for products that work for you!
I used to use coconut oil back in the day but don't have any any more. I do have a gang of other oils though..I think I will do an oil rinse this wkd.

how are you styling your hair daily? Have you tried cornrows under a wig? washing in cornrows along with the moisturizing conditioner advice given above. Also moisturize through out the week while in cornrows if you try it
HTH

I have been wearing a half wig since October, I wash 1x/wk and cornrow my hair...

Pre-poo with coconut oil.
Clarify every 2 weeks or so, followed by a deep moisturizing treatment. Since you swim, leave the treatment in for as long as you can.
Light protein once a month!
Paul Mitchell has a swim shampoo. Look into that.

Good luck!! :)

Pre-poo with coconut oil.
Clarify every 2 weeks or so, followed by a deep moisturizing treatment. Since you swim, leave the treatment in for as long as you can.
Light protein once a month!
Paul Mitchell has a swim shampoo. Look into that.

Good luck!! :)

I've been mixing baking soda with my regular shampoo and following with an acv rinse, as I read online that baking soda/acv does the same thing that a swimmer's shampoo does...hpfly I'm not overdoing the baking soda...? I just didn't feel like spending $16 on AO swim shampoo at Whole Foods..

HTH
You wash with your cornrows in?How do you do that? and does your hair get clean? Also won't it just result in matting?

Lots of great tips! I am also stretching and I was wondering of any good moisturizers out there that doesn't contain glycerine. I'm in Canada and this winter has been COLD! I've read that glycerine is bad for hair in cold weather. What you LHCFers use for moisture when the weather gets cold?

You wash with your cornrows in?How do you do that? and does your hair get clean? Also won't it just result in matting?

lol, no I cornrow my hair after I wash it, to prepare it for the half wig. Then the next wkd I take the cornrows down to wash my hair...

Lots of great tips! I am also stretching and I was wondering of any good moisturizers out there that doesn't contain glycerine. I'm in Canada and this winter has been COLD! I've read that glycerine is bad for hair in cold weather. What you LHCFers use for moisture when the weather gets cold?

I'm still on the lookout for a good moisturizer..rt now I'm using Afroveda's herbal butter but I need something else..do a search for moisturizers and you will find a lot of rec's...I have had no luck personally:-(

lots of coconut oil while deep conditioning and mixed with water on dry hair has kept breakage at bay on my last stretch.

I'm still on the lookout for a good moisturizer..rt now I'm using Afroveda's herbal butter but I need something else..do a search for moisturizers and you will find a lot of rec's...I have had no luck personally:-(

i love karen's body beautiful hair milk. she has a website and there are some youtube reviews.

My Personal Tip(s) would be: to Co-Wash with a Moisturizing Conditioner, Use a Light Reconstructor weekly to keep Protein and Moisture Balance 'in check' and DC with a Heat Source i.e. Heat Cap, Steamer or Dryer.:yep:

Use a Good Daily Moisturizer focusing on NG to keep NG moisturized, healthy and strong.

I am 6mnth post and no matting or shedding/breakage. i do it all in cornrows. I can get to my hair and scalp better than wearing braids or weaves. :yep: I DC and everything in my cornrows. after i wash and they are 90% dry i may play with a few loose ones and rebraid. I take them down every 5 weeks one by one and blow dry using tension method and hotsock do the whole head wear hair out around house (pics) :grin: and braid back up. I have retained all my growth over the past 6 mnths doing this. I now know i get .5" a mnth.

i just tried dc-ing with yogurt and milk before my co-washing to help tame the ng.

have any of you ladies tried this method?

i really like the results and cannot wait to do this again!

now i'm trying oil rinses and i am happy to report they are working well!

it's not easy at 14 weeks post (the longest i've ever stretched!) but i must admit that cowashing 3-7 times a week and only baggy bunning have also helped alot!

i think i will always stretch my perms from now on.
especially since i now know how much damage perming every 6-8 weeks faithfully did to my hair.

Back