ELasta QP Mango Butter

Songbirdb

Ladies, have you noticed that it is methosulfate in the ingredient list??? What is methosulfate??!! Is it bad for hair like regular sulfates? I've stopped using this product now because I'm unsure.

I don't know what methosulfates are and never noticed them on the ingredient list, but I just know that I wasn't a big fan of the Elasta QP Mango Butter and every time I read a really good review on it (there are a lot of Elasta QP fans here), I try to go back to revisit it. My hair still no likey though:nono:

I am interested to know what the methosulfates are though.......

BB

I don't know what methosulfates are and never noticed them on the ingredient list, but I just know that I wasn't a big fan of the Elasta QP Mango Butter and every time I read a really good review on it (there are a lot of Elasta QP fans here), I try to go back to revisit it. My hair still no likey though:nono:

I am interested to know what the methosulfates are though.......

BB

yeah, my hair no likey anymore either. It makes my hair feel soft but really dry. I'm wondering if that has to do with the cones though. I'm not sure but I need to know what these methosulfates are.

Behentrimonium methosulfate is the mildest hair-detangling ingredient available. It is made from non-genetically modified rapeseed oil. This scientifically sophisticated ingredient is renowned for its superior detangling ability, without causing build-up on the hair. Unlike other hair detanglers, which are known for their irritancy, behentrimonium methosulfate is extremely mild, being recommended for use in baby products which are left on the skin. It is superior in effectiveness and mildness to it's commonly used cheaper cousin, behentrimonium chloride. It is not a sulfate.

Found this info on purist.com.au

So its NOT a sulfate. Hope that helps. Also skin deep cosmetic safety database records hazard as 0.

Last edited:
Behentrimonium methosulfate is the mildest hair-detangling ingredient available. It is made from non-genetically modified rapeseed oil. This scientifically sophisticated ingredient is renowned for its superior detangling ability, without causing build-up on the hair. Unlike other hair detanglers, which are known for their irritancy, behentrimonium methosulfate is extremely mild, being recommended for use in baby products which are left on the skin. It is superior in effectiveness and mildness to it's commonly used cheaper cousin, behentrimonium chloride. It is not a sulfate.

So its NOT a sulfate. Hope that helps. Also skin deep cosmetic safety database records hazard as 0.

Thank you so much for this. This is some real good info. That makes me feel relieved. I think I'll still stop using it because of the cones but at least I know its not harmful.

Behentrimonium methosulfate is one of my hair's favorite ingredients. If a conditioner has this higher on the ingredient's list, with a minimum of ingredients like proplene glychol, which my hair doesn't like too much, it's a "must buy," for me.

Hmm, I saw this in our bss store today and din't buy it because of the metosulfates in it. Thanks for the clarification issidoll. I might try it and see if my hair likes it.

I thought methosulfates were surfactants which are used to increase the "contact ability" of two incompatible solvents or materials like oil and water.
Basically enabling them to mix smoothly.
Forensic Science Graduate...but maybe I'm wrong.:ohwell:
Sold all my chemistry books.

http://www.skincaredictionary.com/Behentrimonium_Methosulfate.html

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Behentrimonium Methosulfate[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Definition:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Made from colza oil (canola) Mild ingredient used as a emulsifier, recommended for use in baby products which are left on the skin.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9863628[/FONT]

Also known as "emulsifying conditioner", this gentle ingredient is the key to exceptional hair conditioners. It is derived from natural Colza oil and provides many functions. It is an exceptionally mild conditioning agent, detangler, and hair thickener. It also functions as the primary emulsifier in lotions and conditioners. It gives a soft powdery afterfeel to lotions and creams. Easy to use flakes. Recommended usage is 1-10%. INCI: Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=701037&nothanks=1

About CAMPHOR BENZALKONIUM METHOSULFATE: Camphor Benzalkonium Methosulfate is the quaternary ammonium compound that conformsto the formula:

Back