Edges and Wigs......Please Share

SelfStyled

Just wanted to share what I do to protect my edges while wearing wigs. I don't like wig caps because they give me a major headache and also because they rob my hair of moisture.

What I have been doing before I place my wig on is : moisturize, seal and cross wrap my hair, then I place a head band on the perimeter of my head. The head band serves as a barrier of protection from the wig band.

The head band is silky, like fake silk scarf material:lachen:. The only place that I have been able to find this type of head band is at Sally's.

Here are some pics:

this is what the head band looks like
hband.jpg

and this is how I place it
hblhcf.jpg

Please share YOUR tips- I know there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I could never find the satin wig caps that I have heard about on here....

ETA: I have not experienced any damage to my edges with this method.

Happy Hair Growing

Last edited:
b u m p..I haven't been able to find the satin wig caps either although this is a good alternative.

This is right on time....I was just thinking about this today. When I take my wig off, in the front my scalp is so very sore.

Your idea may help with giving more padded protection.

Thank you Selfstyled:kiss: Its been a while since I wore a wig mainly cos Im too self conscious but ive been thinking about wiggin it for a month or 2 in 2009. However I wear headwraps with the big knot in the back and I wear a stocking cap b4 I put on the headwrap to protect my nape and temples....the stocking cap gives me a headache too so this is the perfect alternative to that...Thanks again!!!

b u m p..I haven't been able to find the satin wig caps either although this is a good alternative.

Someone posted a link with a website that has satin and silk wig caps. I wish I had bookmarked it. Maybe you could start a thread asking where to purchase it online?

My edges use to look bad when I first started wearing my wigs. I started to apply a combo of rosemary oil , vitamin e oil, and peppermint oil every other day twice a day. And my edges filled in pretty quick.
I use to also get headaches from my wigs until I took out the comb attachment. I just use bobbypins to secure my wig, trust me it will stay in place. I am in the Army and me and my wig has been through somethings but it never comes off or slides out of place when I secure it with bobby pins. :grin:

I find satin wig caps at my local bss and my hair remains moist underneath the half wigs with it...Also I only use 100% silk as a headband because if you are wearing a headband on a regular basis, the other materials can pull on the hair even it isn't tight. I get the silk from a sewing and materials store.

I just bought the Dr. Miracle's temple balm last night, as I noticed my hairline needs a break from the braids. I've started up with my half wigs again, and I too noticed the dryness from the nylon cap. I will look for the satin cap...I'm sure it's all over Ebay.

My edges use to look bad when I first started wearing my wigs. I started to apply a combo of rosemary oil , vitamin e oil, and peppermint oil every other day twice a day. And my edges filled in pretty quick.
I use to also get headaches from my wigs until I took out the comb attachment. I just use bobbypins to secure my wig, trust me it will stay in place. I am in the Army and me and my wig has been through somethings but it never comes off or slides out of place when I secure it with bobby pins. :grin:

lmao at that!

I find satin wig caps at my local bss and my hair remains moist underneath the half wigs with it...Also I only use 100% silk as a headband because if you are wearing a headband on a regular basis, the other materials can pull on the hair even it isn't tight. I get the silk from a sewing and materials store.

No way....really!?!? I have been searching high and low for these and yet to find them. All I have found are the stocking cap type ones. Let me know if you can do a cp for me & I can pay u anyway u like for them.

Back