Easy beginner styles for naturals?

Vinyl

I never learned how to do my natural hair. Yesterday my therapist suggested that instead of wearing a ponytail between braiding appointments, I learn how to do some styles myself.

What's an easy style I can start with? Is there a thread with instructions on how to part hair? Thanks!

I agree, twists or finger coils are pretty easy and protective. I have a fingercoil tutorial in my blog and there are tons for both styles on youtube.

Do you ever do wash n go's or shakes? That could be fun in between your protective styles. It's getting a little dry for those though. Good luck and have fun!

^^ there's no real method to wash n go/shakes. Pretty much the way I did mine was jump in the shower and co wash. I would detangle until the showerhead and then shake my hair like a puppy fresh out the tub. Then I'd be on my way

You could try box braids and box braid outs. The pics in my siggy show some box braids I put it for a box braid out. I am styling challenged as well and that style is super simple for me.

I agree, twists or finger coils are pretty easy and protective. I have a fingercoil tutorial in my blog and there are tons for both styles on youtube.

Do you ever do wash n go's or shakes? That could be fun in between your protective styles. It's getting a little dry for those though. Good luck and have fun!

I'm on my way to check 'em out. I've heard of twisting hair, but just noticed this terminology "finger coil" while visiting Wonderstar's Fotki. :bookworm:

Wash n go's did not work for me. Everytime I tried one, I ended up looking like Fredrick Douglas....

Not that there is anything wrong with that :look:

This lady taught me how to do my hair. I will always and forever give her props cause if I hadn't found her site, I might have relaxed!

www.roshini.net

Wash n go's did not work for me. Everytime I tried one, I ended up looking like Fredrick Douglas....

This lady taught me how to do my hair. I will always and forever give her props cause if I hadn't found her site, I might have relaxed!

www.roshini.net
OMG Thanks so much Gin for posting this site!!! She looks like she would be my hair twin. Can anyone tell me what is her hair type because I cant figure out hair typing to save my life.

www.roshini.net

This mental picture is priceless :lachen:

motowngirl has good info on styling natural hair. also check out the fotki's of some of the natural ladies on here, that where a i get styling ideas. i would also recommend checking out some books on natural hair, i like "let's talk hair" by pamela ferrell (my favorite),"plaited glory" by lonnice brittenum bonner, and "no lye" by tulani kinard. you can probably check them out from a library to avoid buying them or get them cheap on half.com.

Last edited:

www.roshini.net

Simply luv her site. And she has styles from when she had the twa...pictures galore.

Back