Easy Airdry!

Neroli

I washed my hair last night and because I'm expecting guests, I just did my usual leave in and oils and combed out with wide tooth comb and let it hang down loose and damp and kept on fixing things up around the house. About 2 hours later, my hair was about 80% dry, super moisturized and fairly straight. I then comb it into a pony tail low on my head, secured with a satin scrunchie and rolled the ends with one large magnetic roller (grey), tied it snug with a silk scarf and when to sleep. This morning my hair is straight straight, as if I rollerset! Straighter even than when I bun dry. I have 4B hair and am 8 weeks post relaxer and can't believe its this simple! Here's what I did:

1. 'poo (keracare hydrating)
2. condish (humecto) detangle while hair saturated with condish
3. leave-in (nexxus headress)
4. oils (nexxus botanic + jojoba)
5. serum (panthenol + dimethione copoyol + castor)
6. comb very gently with wide tooth comb
7. leave loose for 2 hours or until at least 80% dry
8. pony tail, roll & tie down with silk scarf

Man, all the time I've spent trying to "set" my hair after washing when all I had to do was comb it out and leave it alone for a couple of hours . . . .

Dang, less is more . . .

I too have gone to air drying and love it. I usually let it air dry straight down, moisturize and seal. I think I'll try the one roller thing...sounds good. Thanks for the tip!

Neroli said:
I washed my hair last night and because I'm expecting guests, I just did my usual leave in and oils and combed out with wide tooth comb and let it hang down loose and damp and kept on fixing things up around the house. About 2 hours later, my hair was about 80% dry, super moisturized and fairly straight. I then comb it into a pony tail low on my head, secured with a satin scrunchie and rolled the ends with one large magnetic roller (grey), tied it snug with a silk scarf and when to sleep. This morning my hair is straight straight, as if I rollerset! Straighter even than when I bun dry. I have 4B hair and am 8 weeks post relaxer and can't believe its this simple! Here's what I did:

1. 'poo (keracare hydrating)
2. condish (humecto) detangle while hair saturated with condish
3. leave-in (nexxus headress)
4. oils (nexxus botanic + jojoba)
5. serum (panthenol + dimethione copoyol + castor)
6. comb very gently with wide tooth comb
7. leave loose for 2 hours or until at least 80% dry
8. pony tail, roll & tie down with silk scarf

Man, all the time I've spent trying to "set" my hair after washing when all I had to do was comb it out and leave it alone for a couple of hours . . . .

Dang, less is more . . .
Amazing!! :clapping: When you combed your hair into a low ponytail after 80% dry, did you lose hairs?

It sounds like your head became a giant roller when tying it into low ponytail (kind of like wrapping does sideways)

Hmm...I wonder how much longer it took (besides overnight) for your hair to finish drying. Probably just another 2 or 3 hours, right?

Thank you Neroli for sharing yet another successful and easy hair experience we can all use! :up:

Another question. What about shrinkage after 2 hours of airdrying your hair loose? The usual rollersetting stretches out the air and smoothes it as it airdries. It seems like there would be shrinkage (like a damp afro) before putting it into a low ponytail, which would be like a puff.

Isis said:
Another question. What about shrinkage after 2 hours of airdrying your hair loose? The usual rollersetting stretches out the air and smoothes it as it airdries. It seems like there would be shrinkage (like a damp afro) before putting it into a low ponytail, which would be like a puff.

With my hair, the weight of the water helps my hair to air dry very straight. I don't get shrinkage. But those who towel-dry their hair or squeeze dry their hair might experience some shrinkage if they air dry. I suggest letting hair drip all the way dry with only the help of the air to dry it.

Don't ponytails made in wet hair create a dent when it's dry? And does the hair right under the scrunchie feel a little more tangled than the rest?

That's what happens to me at least; this wouldn't work for me.

Congrats on a good experience! I put coconut oil over Salerm 21 or Silk Elements. The other day I was in a hurry but didn't want to use a dryer. I used a ceiling fan and an adjustable floor fan. My hair came out nice and fluffy.

I learn something new every day of this hair journey:)

Supergirl said:
With my hair, the weight of the water helps my hair to air dry very straight. I don't get shrinkage. But those who towel-dry their hair or squeeze dry their hair might experience some shrinkage if they air dry. I suggest letting hair drip all the way dry with only the help of the air to dry it.
Thank you, that makes sense about using the weight of the water to air dry straight. I need to experience this so I can see it working. :scratchch

Isis:

I didn't lose much hair at all when I combed into pony tail -- at 80% dry, my hair was super moisturized and quite resilient and I was VERY VERY gentle, combing from ends to roots and smoothing with hands quite a bit to put into pony. I don't know how much longer it took to dry after I pony tailed and rolled, but it was completely dry by morning. I squeezed the water out of my hair before applying leave-in and oils and I did experience some shinkage, but not much under the circumstances -- that's why I'm so shocked at how nice and staight it is! I will try Supergirl's suggestion and let it "drip dry" next time. It probably will take longer than 2 hours to get 80% dry if I start with dripping wet hair, but I'm gonna give it try to compare . . .

Blu217:

When I put in pony tail, my hair was not wet or even damp, but almost dry at about 80%, so no dents and no tangles -- truly nice staight hair for the barest minimal effort . . .

Last edited:
Neroli said:
Isis:

I didn't lose much hair at all when I combed into pony tail -- at 80% dry, my hair was super moisturized and quite resilient and I was VERY VERY gentle, combing from ends to roots and smoothing with hands quite a bit to put into pony. I don't know how much longer it took to dry after I pony tailed and rolled, but it was completely dry by morning. I squeezed the water out of my hair before applying leave-in and oils and I did experience some shinkage, but not much under the circumstances -- that's why I'm so shocked at how nice and staight it is! I will try Supergirl's suggestion and let it "drip dry" next time. It probably will take longer than 2 hours to get 80% dry if I start with dripping wet hair, but I'm gonna give it try to compare . . .

Blu217:

When I put in pony tail, my hair was not wet or even damp, but almost dry at about 80%, so no dents and no tangles -- truly nice staight hair for the barest minimal effort . . .
Thank you Neroli. I saved your technique and will try Supergirl's suggestion also.:)

As per Supergirl's method of airdrying straight, I use the same kind of concept to "weigh hair down" so it will dry straight. I airdry with my ends on 4 jumbo self holding rollers. The tension and weight of the rollers allows the hair to dry straight. :)

Back