Eartha Kitt On Relationships + Compromise

While I found the video entertaining :lachen:, I somewhat disagree. Relationships require give and take on both ends. Never compromise your standards, but both parties need to be flexible and willing to meet each other's needs.
But if you are willing to meet your partners needs is it really a compromise? I've been thinking about this as well and the word makes me think of doing things in a relationship I don't want to do just because...he does something for me, I don't want to lose him, etc. And I've done that before and don't think I want to ever again.

But if you are willing to meet your partners needs is it really a compromise? I've been thinking about this as well and the word makes me think of doing things in a relationship I don't want to do just because...he does something for me, I don't want to lose him, etc. And I've done that before and don't think I want to ever again.

I think doing something from a place of fear (i.e. not wanting to lose him or feeling like you are repaying him) isnt the right place to come from. In fact that energy will probably repel a man because there may even be some resentment behind your actions and he might sense some inauthenticity. I think in a mature relationship, he will want to do things for you just because and vice versa. So it's a natural compromise. Miss Eartha sounds a little bitter in that video like she has probably been burned before and will never let that happen again. Making those kinds of personal vows ("I'll never let that happen again!") can close one off to the highest possibilities for romantic love.

I think doing something from a place of fear (i.e. not wanting to lose him or feeling like you are repaying him) isnt the right place to come from. In fact that energy will probably repel a man because there may even be some resentment behind your actions and he might sense some inauthenticity. I think in a mature relationship, he will want to do things for you just because and vice versa. So it's a natural compromise. Miss Eartha sounds a little bitter in that video like she has probably been burned before and will never let that happen again. Making those kinds of personal vows ("I'll never let that happen again!") can close one off to the highest possibilities for romantic love.

See this does not sound like a compromise to me though. What are you compromsing if you really want to do these things? Idk maybe I am hung up on the literal definition of the word. When I hear that I think, bargaining, settling, etc. When people talk about compromising in a relationship it mostly sounds like someone doing things they don't want to do but do anyway for whatever reason (not because they genuinely want to). And that doesn't sound good to me. But I'm still thinking on it.

See this does not sound like a compromise to me though. What are you compromsing if you really want to do these things? Idk maybe I am hung up on the literal definition of the word. When I hear that I think, bargaining, settling, etc. When people talk about compromising in a relationship it mostly sounds like someone doing things they don't want to do but do anyway for whatever reason (not because they genuinely want to). And that doesn't sound good to me. But I'm still thinking on it.
That's exactly how I saw it.

While I found the video entertaining :lachen:, I somewhat disagree. Relationships require give and take on both ends. Never compromise your standards, but both parties need to be flexible and willing to meet each other's needs.
I somewhat disagree as well. She sounds bitter. Compromise is a part of a healthy relationship IMO. Your morals, values etc should NEVER be a compromise but to me it may be.... I dont want to see the movie you want to but I will go because you like it and you will do the same for me. I would rather not go to your work function but I know its important for you to go because of your career and you need a date, I hate football but your friend and his wife are having a Super Bowl party I will go. I'm not going to tell my man no all the time and there are plenty of things that I ask him to do that he absolutely does not want to do but still does it just to make me happy. Brunch with my besties and their men? A visit to my moms house? ...he would rather get a prostate exam. Lol.......I think those type of compromises are normal as long as it's not compromising who you are your values or beliefs.

"I want to fall in love with me and share that with somebody."

That's some ole Kanye ish.

It could happen but ain't nobody interesting enough for that to last more than a few years. This is how things would eventually end.

tumblr_m3hcumKY8r1r1ult6o2_500_zpsb3178630.gif

"I want to fall in love with me and share that with somebody."

That's some ole Kanye ish.

It could happen but ain't nobody interesting enough for that to last more than a few years. This is how things would eventually end.

tumblr_m3hcumKY8r1r1ult6o2_500_zpsb3178630.gif
Eartha been through a lot of stuff. She may have very well been a narcissist. She said she did whatever she needed to do to survive and she learned how to adapt. She was constantly abused and given away as a child. Kanye mother abused him by giving him an inflated ego and not setting boundaries.
But I totally get where she is coming from.

Eartha been through a lot of stuff. She may have very well been a narcissist. She said she did whatever she needed to do to survive and she learned how to adapt. She was constantly abused and given away as a child. Kanye mother abused him by giving him an inflated ego and not setting boundaries.
But I totally get where she is coming from.
To quote Dreamgirls

Pain.gif

I know Eartha and Yeezy's backgrounds. A sane person wouldn't sign up for what Eartha proposed and Kanye is definitely not living with sanity.

Back