Dying black hair.

Inspiired

Have you ever dyed your hair? What did you use? How did your hair feel afterwards?

Hopefully this thread with be a collective of stories/tips to help those who may be intending to dye their hair and continued support for those who have already.

Natural & Relaxed.

-- http://www.twitter.com/bootyfurl

yes i love jet black. the best box color is Textures and Tones. but i like to use Wella and mix. i think for the mixing, that should be left to a professional.

just with any color, make sure you stay on top of conditioning and moisturizing. my hair is currently jet black now. once i make my first goal, for a treat i plan to color my hair blue black.

Yes, I reward myself when I reach goals by getting highlights:giggle:. I use regular old Dark n Lovely (sun kissed brown) this last time I think. It was applied by a licensed cosmo though:yep:. I pay attention to my hair period but noticed this last round I need way more protein. So I use Nexxus Emergencee (reconstructor), Joico k-pak (reconstructor), or Aphogee 2-step (when in need of hard core protein). So, naturally I'm DCing once or twice a week (depending on seasons). I'm sure it's because I went lighter this last time. My hair feels great. I will say I always use my DC (Joico) and Roux porosity control versus the products they provide in the box.

I dye my hair blue black on the front and bleach and go purple in the back. I use the Ion color range from Sally's. I've only done it once, but I plan on keeping it up for a while, so my plan is to re-dye every 3-4 months. I did a serious protein treatment (Ion Reconstructor) a week before and applied the Ion Pre-Color Treatment immediately beforehand.

First I start with the back. I mix ammonia-free powder lightener with 10 volume peroxide. I think I used a 1:2 ratio. I sectioned off the part I wanted to bleach and applied it from the ends to the roots. I let it sit for an hour. It didn't get white blond, but it was light enough that the color I wanted would show up. While the back was processing under a foil with the bleach, I did the front. My hair is naturally a dusty off black, but I want extra shiny dark black, so that's why I dyed it. I used Ion demi-permanent. I mixed 2 tubes of Blue Black with 1 tube of Clear Shine with 10 volume developer. I used a 1:1 ratio. I applied from roots to tips and let it process for 25-30 minutes.

I rinsed it all out at the same time. I applied a small amount of shampoo to the bleached area per the instructions. I towel dried and applied the purple semi permanent over the bleached area. I used Beyond the Zone Color Jamz in Purple Passion. It is crap. Once I'm done, I'm moving to the Ion Brights.

For upkeep, I focus a lot more on moisturizing. I shampoo weekly with the sulfate free L'Oreal Ever Creme shampoo. I DC every time I shampoo. Right now I'm using Ion Smooth Polisher conditioner. It's okay, but I'm going to try something else. I do a protein treatment once a month. Last time I used Ion Effective Treatment, but it was a sample pack so I have to replace it. I think I'm going to go back to Aphogee 2 Minute because it never did my hair wrong.

I use Bigen in Oriental Black, very often as I have LOTS of grey (50% or more) and have to retouch frequently.

B_Phlyy said:
I dye my hair blue black on the front and bleach and go purple in the back. I use the Ion color range from Sally's. I've only done it once, but I plan on keeping it up for a while, so my plan is to re-dye every 3-4 months. I did a serious protein treatment (Ion Reconstructor) a week before and applied the Ion Pre-Color Treatment immediately beforehand.

First I start with the back. I mix ammonia-free powder lightener with 10 volume peroxide. I think I used a 1:2 ratio. I sectioned off the part I wanted to bleach and applied it from the ends to the roots. I let it sit for an hour. It didn't get white blond, but it was light enough that the color I wanted would show up. While the back was processing under a foil with the bleach, I did the front. My hair is naturally a dusty off black, but I want extra shiny dark black, so that's why I dyed it. I used Ion demi-permanent. I mixed 2 tubes of Blue Black with 1 tube of Clear Shine with 10 volume developer. I used a 1:1 ratio. I applied from roots to tips and let it process for 25-30 minutes.

I rinsed it all out at the same time. I applied a small amount of shampoo to the bleached area per the instructions. I towel dried and applied the purple semi permanent over the bleached area. I used Beyond the Zone Color Jamz in Purple Passion. It is crap. Once I'm done, I'm moving to the Ion Brights.

For upkeep, I focus a lot more on moisturizing. I shampoo weekly with the sulfate free L'Oreal Ever Creme shampoo. I DC every time I shampoo. Right now I'm using Ion Smooth Polisher conditioner. It's okay, but I'm going to try something else. I do a protein treatment once a month. Last time I used Ion Effective Treatment, but it was a sample pack so I have to replace it. I think I'm going to go back to Aphogee 2 Minute because it never did my hair wrong.

B_Phlyy - wooo that's cool, how does your hair feel when you bleach it? & do you have any pics? :)

-- http://www.twitter.com/bootyfurl

I use regular old box color. I used soft sheen Carson's honey blonde I believe. I really wanna see how I'll look in a blue black color.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

I have used:

Loreal Feria in Iced Mocha. This brand will definitely lift dark hair color after a couple applications/touch ups, but is drying overtime)

Loreal Excellence Triple Protection Cream I used this in reddish brown. This was good. Did not experience damage or dryness. Went from #2 to #4 with slight reddish tinge for those of you who understand weave/wig colors. Color took awhile to fade.

Silk Elements ColorThis was ok. I dyed my hair with two of their reddish colors. It seemed like the color did not really process my whole length and took mostly at the roots. It also turned brassy rather quickly.

Revlon ColorSilk Color Very gentle. You will only be able to dye your hair darker with this or go from black/brown to a level or two lighter. It is also ammonia free.

Loreal Excellence Cremelights Awesome for highlighting relaxed or natural hair without damage. Your hair will feel dry right after doing it just like it does with any chemical process but with a nice deep conditioning my hair usually feels fine afterwards.

I am REALLY itching to dye my hair. My curls are getting so boring.. but I am torn between these ideas:

Blue black

20100116_130207_aaliyah-photo-a.jpg

Auburny/red

12736811415906483_DOiCDatw_f.jpg

Light brown/blonde highlights

60376451224049538_xD213Hjl_f.jpg

Or just good ole Jet Black

rihanna-jetblack-short-hair_src.jpg

I can't decide between the vibrancy of the red, drama of the blonde, or the health and shine of the black. :spinning:

ETA: I think this is really cute. Wonder how it would look in a wash n go?

blackhair14.jpg

Last edited:
When I was Relaxed I used Jazzin for Bluest Black (loved It!!!), Ebony, Mahogany, and Cherry Cola. (Rinses) In the Clariol Beautiful Collection in Amethyst, Rosewood Brown, Cedar-Red, Black and Jet Black. (Semi-permanent) Natural Instincts-Rosewood and Cinnaberry. I stopped using Black and Jet Black when I determined it was too harsh for my skin tone. I know, I know...I used to say I have part ownership in Clairol. lol
Now that I am Natural, I use Henna. I just love the way dye enhances hair color! :)

I've used Revlon color silk in the second to darkest black don't remember the name) but it's not blue-black. My hair felt great. I like the conditioner pack that comes with the hair color and even looked to see if they sell it separately. Apparently not. I've also taken the all natural route with henna and indigo. Indigo's great but doesn't last on my hair.

This summer I'm thinking about getting chocolate brown with a few blonde highlights. I've never tried a lighter color except for henna so it should be interesting.

Back