DYI Layers

sareca

Now that my hair is in the best condition EVER and my regimen is on autopilot I'm free to think about styling options. I 'V' shaped layered cuts. I can't go to a stylist. I'm too scared. Instead I've been searching for videos showing how to do simple layered cuts. I just found one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO1KtgPUTY4

I love that her length didn't change and I love that there's no cutting behind the head it's all right where you can see it. :yay:

I have no clue what she's saying, but I CAN DO this cut.

Oh, if anybody knows what the thing she uses to thin the ends is, help a sista out.

Just what I needed! I'm learning to do things my self. I have the sew in down packed. I will be trying twists very soon thanks to you.:) I didn't think to look on you tube for the layered cut though.

Re: DIY Layers

Apparently it's just the two of us. :ohwell: I was SO excited. I also misspelled DIY in the title... dang! I just noticed that.

I love DIY. You shouldn't have any trouble with the kinky twists. They really are simple.

Cute haircut, and it looks really simple to do. I think she used a razor on the ends to thin them out a little, so it wouldn't have that blunt look to them.....

I cut my own layers (but I use to be a designer) I may see if I can come up with some basic instructions. I'm starting a Fotki...finally. I love layers, I can't wait til BSL with long layers!

sareca said:
Apparently it's just the two of us. :ohwell: I was SO excited. I also misspelled DIY in the title... dang! I just noticed that.

I love DIY. You shouldn't have any trouble with the kinky twists. They really are simple.

So, how do you do kinky twist? Pretty please:D I sure would appreciate it!

Pixel Lady said:
I cut my own layers (but I use to be a designer) I may see if I can come up with some basic instructions. I'm starting a Fotki...finally. I love layers, I can't wait til BSL with long layers!

I love your layers!
love0021.gif
Is this the way you cut them?

I love the final look!! I don't think I'll ever attempt to cut my own layers though. Too scared of messing up...lol! I'm also curious to know what the stylist used on the woman's ends after the cut.

sareca said:

I have done a couple before but not a whole head. A whole head is the challenge. I use to wear them all the time about 4 years ago because they wear in style and a lot of people got them back then. I watched the africans do them on my head and one of them showed me. I'm just courious...Do a lot of people wear kinky twist,where you are located? I'll do them toward the end of the summer. Thanks for tut.:kiss:

sareca said:
Now that my hair is in the best condition EVER and my regimen is on autopilot I'm free to think about styling options. I 'V' shaped layered cuts. I can't go to a stylist. I'm too scared. Instead I've been searching for videos showing how to do simple layered cuts. I just found one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO1KtgPUTY4

I love that her length didn't change and I love that there's no cutting behind the head it's all right where you can see it. :yay:

I have no clue what she's saying, but I CAN DO this cut.

Oh, if anybody knows what the thing she uses to thin the ends is, help a sista out.

Interesting. The first part looked pretty simple although I can't imagine being able to do it accurately myself. But how do you razor cut the ends? Do you know how to do that?

sareca said:
I love your layers!
love0021.gif
Is this the way you cut them?

awww thank you!

I do not cut my hair like this, though it is a good method for "the right head of hair"...long and thick. My hair is not long or thick and I want more control. I'm still contemplating on whether or not to do a tutorial, because it could be devasting if someone messed up and then I would feel so, so bad:( Now that I am typing it out...I don't think I will. I'm scared:(

I'm not sure who said it, but looks to me like she did lose length.

***Toy-Pisces*** said:
I have done a couple before but not a whole head. A whole head is the challenge. I use to wear them all the time about 4 years ago because they wear in style and a lot of people got them back then. I watched the africans do them on my head and one of them showed me. I'm just courious...Do a lot of people wear kinky twist,where you are located? I'll do them toward the end of the summer. Thanks for tut.:kiss:

You're welcome. :)

Actually I've never seen anybody else with kinky twists here. Come to think of it, I've never seen anybody with kinky twists anywhere--not on vacations, holidays, or business trips. That's weird. :confused:

sareca said:
You're welcome. :)

Actually I've never seen anybody else with kinky twists here. Come to think of it, I've never seen anybody with kinky twists anywhere--not on vacations, holidays, or business trips. That's weird. :confused:

That is weird. :confused: Well at least you can rock the style alone.:) Some people wear them here but not as often as oppose to 4 years ago. I love the thickness of your hair.

Pixel Lady said:
awww thank you!

I do not cut my hair like this, though it is a good method for "the right head of hair"...long and thick. My hair is not long or thick and I want more control. I'm still contemplating on whether or not to do a tutorial, because it could be devasting if someone messed up and then I would feel so, so bad:( Now that I am typing it out...I don't think I will. I'm scared:(

I'm not sure who said it, but looks to me like she did lose length.

Yeah, that is kind of a liability. I probably wouldn't do it either. You could show how you do yours, but I wouldn't give instructions for anybody else to try it. :nono:

So, you wouldn't cut APL length hair using this method? I was waiting for APL to try it. My hair is thick, but it'll only get to APL this year.

Theoretically you don't have to lose length. All of the hair that makes up your length (from the back/above the nape area) is on either side of your neck when you're in that position. My plan was minimal cutting from that area.

*sigh* I wish I could find a stylist I trust. I've gone to a few, but there's no way I'd trust them w/ scissors. One actually admitted that she has tricked people and cut 3 inches when they asked for 1 inch. :huh:

comike said:
Interesting. The first part looked pretty simple although I can't imagine being able to do it accurately myself. But how do you razor cut the ends? Do you know how to do that?

No, I have no clue how to razor ends. I don't even like that idea of that. :nono:

I've actually cut my hair in this position before. I just didn't go straight across. At the time, the ends in the crown area were really bad and shorter than the nape so I leaned foward, combed all the hair forward and cut just the tip. It did exactly what I imaged it would.

This works really well its how I cut layersinto one of my nieces hair...I did the easier alternative on my hair and my other nieces which is really great for curly hair and gives hair lots of volume and makes it look thicker...
What I did is bring it to the front in halves on either side and just trimmed an inch or so whilst it was in ponytails so that the hair didnt move. it was easier and quicker for my niece i made one ponytail at the top of the head...near her forehead (centre) and trimmed.

WoW- thanx for posting.

I have studied this about 4 times- I think I can do it.

No razor, but just the cut part.

I've grown out layers & I think I want them back, but don't want to make an appt. anywhere.

Gonna try this with my new shears...:scratchch

The stylist said that she used the razor 'cause the lady's hair was too thick and heavy and she wanted lighter/thiner ends. I don't think we need thinner ends:lol: You could avoid the razor if you want to.

la flaca said:
The stylist said that she used the razor 'cause the lady's hair was too thick and heavy and she wanted lighter/thiner ends. I don't think we need thinner ends:lol: You could avoid the razor if you want to.

Thanks for translating. I agree. We don't need thinner ends. :nono:

AKA-Tude said:
WoW- thanx for posting.

I have studied this about 4 times- I think I can do it.

No razor, but just the cut part.

I've grown out layers & I think I want them back, but don't want to make an appt. anywhere.

Gonna try this with my new shears...:scratchch

:yay: That makes three of us.

So let me make sure I understood the video right! She just parted down the back, combed all hair down to the front, & then cut STRAIGHT across. Is that right?:confused: I am so looving the outcome! Ilove that "V" shape, its ultra sexy!:look: :lol:

RachiQue said:
This works really well its how I cut layersinto one of my nieces hair...I did the easier alternative on my hair and my other nieces which is really great for curly hair and gives hair lots of volume and makes it look thicker...
What I did is bring it to the front in halves on either side and just trimmed an inch or so whilst it was in ponytails so that the hair didnt move. it was easier and quicker for my niece i made one ponytail at the top of the head...near her forehead (centre) and trimmed.

Excellent! So your method was similar to this one... http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/2156.html#cutid1 or were you leaning forward?

ETA: I cut my hair into it's current shape using feye's method for a U-shaped cut. http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/1827.html#cutid1

Last edited:
I've cut layers in my hair several times. Its easy to me. You leave the bottom layers of hair long and just cut the upper layers. I would grasp sections of my hair and extend it straight out to the side and cut straight up vertically. When I let go of the hair the top layers of hair are shorter and bottom are longer. I would do this around my entire head and then finish up with a vertical slant cut to the very bottom layer so that its not blunt. I don't how to explain it but basically this backward slash ( \ ) would be the way I would position the scissors to cut the bottom layer of hair on the left side of my head and the forward slash ( / ) would the direction I would hold the scissors for the rbottom layer on right side of my head. This way the bottom is not blunt and I haven't lost the length either. I learned how to cut my own hair from watching different stylists doing my hair and other people's hair.

HERicane10 said:
So let me make sure I understood the video right! She just parted down the back, combed all hair down to the front, & then cut STRAIGHT across. Is that right?:confused: I am so looving the outcome! Ilove that "V" shape, its ultra sexy!:look: :lol:

ITA. When I first joined LHCF I didn't like v-shaped hair. Now I'm wondering what in the world I was thinking.

It looked to me like she parted the hair down the middle, combed it to the sides, then only combed the top/crown part forward (to the front). So the nape area should be on the sides of your head (near your ears/temples).

Anybody else see that?

Last edited:
Cayenne0622 said:
I've cut layers in my hair several times. Its easy to me. You leave the bottom layers of hair long and just cut the upper layers. I would grasp sections of my hair and extend it straight out to the side and cut straight up vertically. When I let go of the hair the top layers of hair are shorter and bottom are longer. I would do this around my entire head and then finish up with a vertical slant cut to the very bottom layer so that its not blunt. I don't how to explain it but basically this backward slash ( \ ) would be the way I would position the scissors to cut the bottom layer of hair on the left side of my head and the forward slash ( / ) would the direction I would hold the scissors for the rbottom layer on right side of my head. This way the bottom is not blunt and I haven't lost the length either. I learned how to cut my own hair from watching different stylists doing my hair and other people's hair.

That makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing! :kiss:

sareca said:
That makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing! :kiss:

'choo welcome, hon!!:D I can't wait to see your end result. I can't watch any of these videos from work but I plan to watch them from home. I'll be in Chicago this weekend. Hopefully, I can steal the laptop away from my husband so I can still check in with you ladies!!:grin:

sareca said:
ITA. When I first joined LHCF I didn't like v-shaped hair. Now I'm wondering what in the world I was thinking.

It looked to me like she parted the hair down the middle, combed it to the sides, then only combed the top/crown part forward (to the front). So the nape area should be on the sides of your head (near your ears/temples).

Anybody else see that?

That's absolutely what I saw, girl!;) I can't wait to hit APL. Just 2 more inches..........tips off to CW & DC like a mad woman!:D

Back