Dumb but, how do you USE a diffuser

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I will be using one for the very first time. Any diffusing pro's out there? Is it safe to use on my kinks and coils every day? Will it dry my hair out like a blow drier? How do you actually use it? Whats your method?

What kind of diffuser did you get? I have a couple of different types: one has "fingers." I rarely use mine, preferring instead to air dry. But when I do, I hold it in place for about 30 seconds at a time before moving on to another section of hair. With the fingers I sometimes place the cup close to my scalp, with the fingers touching. You can also cup the hair in your hands, pushing toward your scalp to scrunch and encourage curls. I also bend my head over to get the hair underneath. The point is to dry your hair without disturbing your curl formation.

I don't recommend using it every day--it's still heat and can dry your hair out. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick response ;) I just opened the sucka right now and it has a big dome-ish head..is that right? And yes it does have those prong thingy's, is that ok?

balisi said:
I don't recommend using it every day--it's still heat and can dry your hair out. Hope that helps.

That sucks. If thats the case I may as well continue to use my blowdrier and straighten my hair.

Yes, the "prongy things" are the "fingers" I mentioned. The large domed head means it will dry your hair faster. Why would you need or want to diffuse your hair every day? If you must, how about diffusing to get some of the water out, then airdrying the rest of the way?

Because I co wash every day when I'm not wearing my hair flatironed. I do it before I go to work and I don't like to have a wet head outside at 6:30 am erryday. Is there anything you can recommend based on your experience? Again I will be cowashing every morning. Plus I forgot to add that when my hair is dry thats the only time i can get it really shaped how I want it. When it's wet it's just "there" you know?

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're referring to wash 'n go styling. If so, what works for me, even when I fingerstyle is to shake my head and flip my head up and down a couple of times to help shape the style while wet. As much as possible, I try to preserve my hair style overnight so that I don't need to wet/wash it every day.

Back