Dryness: Could it be the Cellophanes?

HermioneWeasley

Hi all,

Well, after doing some "research," I decided to dump my "must trim with every relaxer" stylist and pay a little more for good service and good hair health. So I decided to go to La Var Hair Designs and see the fabulous Marcia. Yes, she is awesome, and YES, my experience corroborates every single amazing thing that has been said. Usually, relaxing is a very stressful thing for me, but there was no static with Marcia. She LISTENED, she used the relaxer I asked for (Fiberguard Mild, Lye), no tugging, deep conditioning, the whole nine.

The thing is, I'm two weeks post-relaxer and my hair feels awful dry, and I'm wondering if it is because I had her put a cellophane rinse in. I wanted darker color and when she put it in, it looked great. Leaving the salon, my hair was singing and swinging like it was Christmas Eve! :grin: But I washed and (attempted to) rollerset it today, using my staples - Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo and Aveda Hair Revitalizer, and while my hair didn't dry "crunchy," it sort of feels that way now. Crunchy and rough. Two weeks after a relaxer, it has never felt this way, and again, the only thing I did differently was the cellophanes.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do about it? Should I try changing conditioners?

Maybe you should've deep deep conditioned after washing...or try a pre-poo with oil or conditioner. There are many things you can do to try to soften your hair.

Hermione,

As many here know from my recent 'turquoise hair' thread I recently tried the black orchid Colourshines (cellophane) ...and now after about a week, my hair and SCALP are drier than normal. I've been using hot oil treatments (olive oil) and doing my normal cw's...but darn, I wish I'd never tried cellophanes.

I will not ever again. -- also I'm noticing a little more shedding ..despite using aphogree just before coloring. I'll be doing Emergencee today. My scalp has never itched this much ever.

sassyhair said:
Maybe you should've deep deep conditioned after washing...or try a pre-poo with oil or conditioner. There are many things you can do to try to soften your hair.

Thank you. I will try deep conditioning with Humecto, which also gives good results. I have gotten lazy about deep conditioning, and I guess I can't do that now.

Synthia said:
Hermione,

As many here know from my recent 'turquoise hair' thread I recently tried the black orchid Colourshines (cellophane) ...and now after about a week, my hair and SCALP are drier than normal. I've been using hot oil treatments (olive oil) and doing my normal cw's...but darn, I wish I'd never tried cellophanes.

I will not ever again. -- also I'm noticing a little more shedding ..despite using aphogree just before coloring. I'll be doing Emergencee today. My scalp has never itched this much ever.

Synthia, I'm so sorry to hear that. Turquoise hair? :eek: Geez. Have the oil treatments helped at all? And I have noticed my scalp itching more lately. Damn. Yeah, I think I will swear off cellophanes from now on.

Also, if your stylist used the Sustenance Fortifying treatment that goes with the Fiberguard relaxer, then you may want to clarify your hair. This treatment really sticks to the hair. Even the instructions say to use a "normalizing" shampoo the next time you wash your hair to remove that product.

The hot oil treatments surprisingly weren't effective for this.

BUT ...my hair if feeling like butter now primarily because of a deep moisturizing conditioner and a leave-in I just did.

Just this evening, I shampooed, did an apple cider vinegar rinse, then put Emergencee (protein reconstructor) on for 20 minutes under heat, then I rinsed that out and baked in some Aphogee balancing moisturizer (a humectant conditioner) for about 30 minutes, and then after I rinsed that out I put in Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Creme (it has 8 nature oils.) Now thankfully my hair is pliant and buttery. Hope this lasts.

I think I'll use the Wonder 8 creme daily this week and perhaps add it permanently to my collection (I stole this bottle from my mom).

Anyway, my scalp still itches, but I'm just trying to keep the scalp moisturized lightly.

It may be the Colourshines. I experienced dryness after using this one time too. It has protein in it.

Back