Drying Hair

Compassion

Greetings Everyone,

Quick question. Is it okay to dry hair with a hooded dryer periodically? I am trying to wash my hair every three days, but I don't want to damage it with drying. I have type 4b hair. Other than using the hooded dryer, I really can't think of any other alternative. I tried the braid out, and that did not work very well. Hope every one had a pleasant weekend. Thank you kindly to those who respond. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Compassion

you can use the hood dryer without damage as long as it is on low setting (or u may as well be using a blow dryer). airdrying is also very good, just leave the hair to dry, either in a ponytail or just hanging down. if you are in a hurry to get it dry like when uare tired simply use the hood dryer till the hair is NEARLY dry-damp and then proceed. moisturizers tend to take better in damp hair anyway. with my hair at least!

Periodically, I use my hooded dryer to dry my hair (just did last night). I haven't experienced any negative effects from it. HTH.

Hi Compassion,

The hooded dryer shouldn't be a problem. It's the direct heat of the blow dryer you want to avoid. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You ladies are great! Thanks. I will most likely use the hooded dryer each time I wash. My hair is 4b, and dry right now with all this cold weather. I don't think air drying would provide me with a look that I can wear out and be seen. I air dried my hair when I did the braid out. My hair looked like a bird's nest. /images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks though!!

Compassion

Hi Compassion...I use my hooded dryer but what I do it sit under there for about 20 to 30 minutes then I let it air dry the rest of the way. As for the braid out i have learned that the more moistuire u use the better it comes out with the less frizzes. I have a pic of one in my album. It is hard for me to get a perfect braid but when I perfect it where it comes out right everytime I will post directions. What are u currently using to do yoiur braid outs?

Morning Compassion, sorry the braid out didn't work for you. Didn't work to well for me at first either. I've learned to work with it, but the hooded dryer or the ponytail method might be best for you. Good luck. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yea Sistas, it did not work. Hey Nita!! Tonya, I used Creme of Nature Shampoo, then Motions Conditioner, followed by some ORS Mayo (under the dryer for 20 min), then I added some leave in Infusim 23. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh, and I sprayed my hair with some Fanstasia Oil, WGO and rubbed some Perm Repair on my hair. Then I braided and rolled my hair. It was an utter disaster!! My beau and I had planned a weekend get away outta town. We were supposed to go after I got off work. Girls, my hair was such a mess, I called in to work and did not go on the weekend get away. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I had to wash my hair again, and set it on rollers. I am not good at roller setting. BUT compared to what my hair looked like prior, the roller set was a welcomed change!

Compassion

Tonya, your hair is really pretty. It looks healthy too. I know you must be proud. I don't think your braid out was any where near as bad as mine /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Compassion

Compassion it could be the type of proudust u used. When my braid out comes out bnest it is when I used...
Elasta QP Design Lotion a tad of mousse and eithe curl activator or Motions Moisture...then I braid it up and let it dry over night. Did u do cornrows or individual braid??? I get the best results with cornrows the hair falls neater.
Thanks for the hair compliments as well but I have to get a good 3 inches trimmed off because it was damaged frm the color treatment.

Hi Compassion,

There is nothing wrong with using a hooded dryer, especially when it's on medium or low heat. The downside is it might take longer to dry and the constant against your scalp could make the scalp dry. That was the biggest thing I noticed...dry scalp. A good oil can combat that though.

Hi Compassion,

After joining the board, I became committed to NOT using any heat to dry my hair, however, after reading Daviine's thread entitled "My visit with Marvin (extremely long)" I now have second thoughts and may go back to drying my hair under the hair dryer. Here is what Marvin said about using heat to dry your hair...

"He [Marvin] told me that air-drying is bad for your hair. He said something about your cuticle drying roughly. He then also went on to say that it was bad because your dries wrinkly and makes it more susceptible to breakage. He said that the heat allows relaxed hair to dry smoothly."

I think he was speaking of using the hooded dryer. Hope this helps.

Tonya, I did individual braids. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Guess I'll try the corn rolls when I am feeling hopeful again. Where do you purchase your QP Elasta products?? I think I may have seen those at Sally's. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I need all the help I can get. And Julia, I did not read the posting about what Marvin said in relation to drying hair. I need to check that out! Many thanks. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Compassion

Compassion, Eliminating heat was hard for me at first, it took time and time to figure out what to do with my hair just to make it presentable. I'm so sorry that you had to re-wash your hair, been there done that. Next time, if there is one, pull into a puff or add a scarf around you head and go.

From weeks 1 thru week 8, I roller set on the weekend, I either air dry or sit under the dryer long enough to dry my scalp. I wear down for the weekend, then back up it goes. From weeks 9 thru 13, I wash and braid. My hair isn't long enough to hang and look right to me in a braid out yet. So I work on styles where I can take the textured hair and pin up or puff out. I do this to blend my relaxed hair with my outgrowth.

I'm sure you will find something soon that will work for you. The ladies on this board have wonderful ideas.

Best of luck to you.

Compassion, I roller set my hair after washing it. I use the hooded dryer only if I washed the hair late in the afternoon or early in the evening, and I want my hair to dry before I sleep. I hate sleeping with rollers!! So I'll sit under the dryer for about 1/2 hour to get the drying going. I don't do this often but I haven't had any bad side effects from this.

THanks Ladies. I am going to wash my hair again tonight and roll it (hooded dryer). I'm keeping my fingers crossed...and praying. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Compassion

I get my Elasta QP from any ole corner Beauty Supply I do believe that Walmart carries it as well. Sally's selection varies by it's location I have found.

Back