Dry Twist Out Product Recommendations Please

bklynLadee

Hi yall,

Lately i've been seeing a lot of dry twist out tutorials on youtube.

pgneiccy has a nice one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKTwQqL1vI

Mahoganny curls also:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLJlfK3kwA

I did this method twice. Once I used some product that claimed to stretch hair a bit I dont remember what it was because I threw it out.

The second time I used Shea Moisture Curl (the one in the jar) and a little bit of gel bc the first time I did it my hair looked dry (ashy) and my curls were loose like they had dropped ( no definition).

Now the second time I used too much product bc my hair basically shrinked up a lot...plus I don't think it was fully dry so it wasn't stretched.

Has anyone else had luck with this? What did you do?

robot. what are looking for in said product?

What have you tried...anndd what your hair type

Shine, hold, and stretch. I usually will remoisturize halfway through the week so moisture isn't a big deal for me, although finding an all-in-one product would be nice. I have a problem with frizz although I know my ends are badly in need of a trim.

I just purchased the Qhemet twisting butter, moringa tree conditioning ghee, and the cocoa tree detangling ghee. I wanted to try the curl junkie styling sampler pack but I can't pay $8 in shipping for some samples. :ohwell:

Recently I've been using the 10-n-1 gelee from dark and lovely. Works better on damp hair as opposed to dry.

Shine, hold, and stretch. I usually will remoisturize halfway through the week so moisture isn't a big deal for me, although finding an all-in-one product would be nice. I have a problem with frizz although I know my ends are badly in need of a trim.

I just purchased the Qhemet twisting butter, moringa tree conditioning ghee, and the cocoa tree detangling ghee. I wanted to try the curl junkie styling sampler pack but I can't pay $8 in shipping for some samples. :ohwell:

Recently I've been using the 10-n-1 gelee from dark and lovely. Works better on damp hair as opposed to dry.

robot. mmm i've been wanting to use the gelee from dark n lovely. But im glad I didn't because twist outs on wet hair is a CINCH to define!

But on that dry twist out!!! have mercy. I think we may have similar textures.

I was trying to DL a pic but it won't go thru.

Check out this product review I just saw...I was thinking of using this product at one point but I dismissed it. "design essentials"

http://kinkycurlycoilyme.com/product-review-design-essentials-stretching-cream/

That design essentials looks nice! But that price! I would love to try it one day though.

yes yummy is right with those products...they have glycerin in it tho *STAMPS FEET* Why is this so difficult lol.

You know what...ima just melt my shea moisture curl enhancing whateva...and whip in some IC black gel...or matta fact I won't melt it. I will just fold the IC black gel into the shea moisture....

do a dry flat twist and pat on some grapeseed oil for the added sheen and let that joint dry and then ima take it out.

Because I CANNOT even deal right now. All these darn products and I am not tryna break the bank trying everything lol.

I will let u know how that goes. I'm going to deep condition my hair overnight tonight and then tomorrow afternoon I will twist my hair and take it out on Wednesday.

The Ynobe you can get without glycerin. I'm trying to pick one to try right now lol. The flaxseed custard has good reviews.

When I did dry twist-outs, I always used Komaza Care Coconut Curl Pudding:

560540_2013567778596_626980207_n.jpg

I use Eden body coconut shea souffle pudding for my dry twist outs. Nice hold, stretches, lots of shine and smells good too.

How's your search going? bklynLadee

So far the Qhemet twisting butter and moringa ghee get a :up: from me! Both smell amazing and my hair has been moisturized since wash day last Friday. Super soft, fluffy, and shiny. Stretches my hair just how I like I too but it's been humid here with all the rain so it still shrinks a little.

robot. oh yeah???!!!! thats awesome!!! I used my shea moisture soufle mixed with IC black gel...so on air dried hair I would say maybe 50-60% I applied the shea moisture/IC mixture on each section (BIG Sections) and I braided it down on the scalp part...and the part that hangs...i twisted because I wanted more of a "wave barrel" look...and not ziggly for a full braid.

if I felt I put too much product...I just blow dried that section a bit to stretch it again.

The reason why I braided the scalp part is because I wanted increased tension for more hang time.

When I finished braid/Twist each section (I think I had 6) I would pull my twist down real tight and I put the blow dry over it to heat it up and again...increase length so i wouldn't have a curly fro.

In houston TX weather...I was able to run a couple of errands and after about 8 hours I took each section down (I had some oil in my hands so I wouldn't cause excessive frizz)

Results: beautiful bouncy curls
CONS: my hair was way too oily--- shea moisture doesn't feel oily on wet hair...it absorbs it and it usually feels very moisturized n springy for me. But on dry hair it always makes my hair feel oily.

Did your hair feel oily?? annnndd where do you live lol (sorry for the long post)

Recently I have used
Darcys
-Avocado and Wild Plum(very little, mostly on the ends) w/ cupacu butter
-Transitioning cream, if my hair was starting to dry or get tangled
Quemet Biologics
Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee

I liked all three combos, each was done on hair 2/3 day braidout/twistout hair
My hair was soft, and I was able to replait/twist or just tie down at night with good next day results
I have been wearing my hair out for the last 3 weeks straight. all day, all night. Through sun, rani, cigarette smoke and humidity.

I am 4a/b

Since it's summer and humid now I put Qhemet Biologics Twist Butter on top of the Burdock Root Butter Cream. :lick: I spray some Shea Moisture finishing elixir for a little shine.

I flat twist my hair once a week, sometimes wet and sometimes dry. I use the As I Am Twist Defining Cream or the Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter. For twistouts, the As I Am gives better definition, but I like them both.

That design essentials looks nice! But that price! I would love to try it one day though.

Are you referring to the design essential natural curl stretching cream?? It didn't do anything for me, basically a waste of money.

I've tried their methods too. The EcoStyler Gel works for awhile. Its just gets dry from not applying anything else. If I reapply when retwisting, it'll mess up the pattern. And the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie only works if I use oil with it. If not, I get that dry ashy look too. I think I've finally realized my hair doesn't really like creams all that much.

Right now, I've been using Fantasia ic Hair Polisher Gel with Sparkle Lites. It has been working great for my dry twistouts. Gives a soft hold, shine, no buildup, and my hair feels moisturized.

ForumRunner_20130706_105100.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L300 using LHCF

robot. oh yeah???!!!! thats awesome!!! I used my shea moisture soufle mixed with IC black gel...so on air dried hair I would say maybe 50-60% I applied the shea moisture/IC mixture on each section (BIG Sections) and I braided it down on the scalp part...and the part that hangs...i twisted because I wanted more of a "wave barrel" look...and not ziggly for a full braid.

if I felt I put too much product...I just blow dried that section a bit to stretch it again.

The reason why I braided the scalp part is because I wanted increased tension for more hang time.

When I finished braid/Twist each section (I think I had 6) I would pull my twist down real tight and I put the blow dry over it to heat it up and again...increase length so i wouldn't have a curly fro.

In houston TX weather...I was able to run a couple of errands and after about 8 hours I took each section down (I had some oil in my hands so I wouldn't cause excessive frizz)

Results: beautiful bouncy curls
CONS: my hair was way too oily--- shea moisture doesn't feel oily on wet hair...it absorbs it and it usually feels very moisturized n springy for me. But on dry hair it always makes my hair feel oily.

Did your hair feel oily?? annnndd where do you live lol (sorry for the long post)
I live in DC and my hair only feels oily on rainy days as it shrinks up :lol:

Back