Dry Shampoo?

This is wierd I just got an email from Naturally Curly about how dry shampoo is becoming a rave right now. This is just the email NOT my personal opinion.

"For most curlies, shampooing every day is a big no-no. But even if you don’t wash it every day, you want it to feel fresh and clean.

That’s why dry shampoos are gaining popularity with the curly crowd.

Dry shampoos comes in a variety of forms and provide a waterless way to freshen and restyle hair. Traditional wet shampoos contain a soap-free detergent that reduces the surface tension of the water, allowing it to move into the small crevices in the scalp and hair shaft, breaking up the oil into droplets that can be washed away. Dry shampoos usually contain a base of talc, cornstarch, potato, or rice that absorbs rather than washes away sebum and dirt.

For those who think of Psssssssst! when they think of dry shampoo — a relic from the ’70s that left a white film on the hair — the category has evolved dramatically in recent years.

This fall, AG Hair Cosmetics, creator of curly favorite Re:coil Curl Activator, developed FastFWD dry shampoo. It is designed to refresh without suds absorbing oil without leaving a film.

“Clients were demanding a dry shampoo,” said John Davis, founder of AG. “The main reason they want it is because of the shear convenience. And people with curly hair don’t like washing it every day because they don’t want to dry their hair out.”

Creating a dry shampoo wasn’t necessarily an easy endeavor. AG spent the past year developing FastFWD, Davis says. The biggest challenge was the technology — creating a powder that comes out in a spray that wouldn’t cake or lump. To accomplish this, the company looked at a variety of powders and liquids, working on different formulas in parallel until they came up with the perfect formula. Davis said the final product uses rice starch, silica and a polymer in an aerosilized can - a combination that absorbs dirt and creates body without leaving a powdery residue.

“You can get up in the morning, give it a quick refresh and boom, you’re ready to go,” Davis says."

I use Ojon Rub out Dry Cleanser. I love it. You know when your hair starts to get a lil too heavy or limp after a few days or you used to much moisturizer or oil? This wakes it back up without going through the whole wash process and manipulation (Just spray, comb through and fluff). I also use it for sew-ins if the hair gets a lil too shiny from styling products. Your hair really feels clean and light as if you just did it.

hth

That Ojon dry shampoo sounds great. Do you apply on to your scalp or all of your hair?

This was kinda popular in the 70s, from what I understand. It seems it worked by using some powder to asorb the excess oils, hence "cleaning" the hair. I'd leave this one to WW.

This was kinda popular in the 70s, from what I understand. It seems it worked by using some powder to asorb the excess oils, hence "cleaning" the hair. I'd leave this one to WW.
:lachen:I use it and I'm not white if that's what it stands for. I saw a post from Pink Skates and she even uses it too. The sebastian one I got was through reading her recommendation and I love it. I also use a couple others at times...It's excellent for naturals who are say pressed (and other hair types who are or are not using heat) too who want to refresh and clean their hair in between but want to keep from manipulating their hair too much.

I like it, but to each their own.

My buddy works at Sebastian. Their dry shampoo is discontinued, but I'm sure I can find it online somewhere.

I use Ojon Rub out Dry Cleanser. I love it. You know when your hair starts to get a lil too heavy or limp after a few days or you used to much moisturizer or oil? This wakes it back up without going through the whole wash process and manipulation (Just spray, comb through and fluff). I also use it for sew-ins if the hair gets a lil too shiny from styling products. Your hair really feels clean and light as if you just did it.

hth

I use and love Ojon as well :yep: If my scalp is getting oily after a few days, I use it to freshen my hair to hold me over until I wash on the weekend. I spray it into my roots and rub in, let it sit for a minute to absorb, then brush my hair with a paddle brush. Works great! :up:

Oscar Blandi makes one that I always see at Sephora when I'm getting my Ojon fix, but I think the spray version of theirs has alcohol or something in it that turned me off to trying it out.

You know what else works pretty well? Oatmeal. Just crush up some oats as fine as you can and rub into your roots. Takes a little more work to get it out, but it absorbs well. Or even some talcum powder will do it.
The key to using dry shampoos is not to use too much, and to make sure to brush thoroughly afterwards.

Thanks, Soliel185. I did a search on dry shampoos, but I didn't find anything. Definitely didn't want to start something new. I JUST left Sally's and never thought to look there for a dry shampoo. I'm starting to hate ordering supplies online because of shipping and I don't want to pay alot. Maybe I'll check this one out.

Thanks again.

When I wear my hair blown straight it tends to get oily after a couple of days so i wanted a dry shampoo to get rid of that oiliness so I could make my blow outs last longer.

I tried the Batiste Blush recommended by Soleil. I got it from Sally's for $6.99. I sprayed a little in my hair, concentrating mostly at the crown and a little on the length of my hair. I waited maybe 20 seconds and then mssaged it in, per instructions on the bottle. I then brushed through my hair with a synthetic/natural boar bristle hybrid brush.

It seems to help a little but the middle and ends are still a bit oilier than I like. I never saw any power-like substance when I put in on so I may not have used enough of the product. Also, i figured I would start with a little and next time try a little more and see if it works better.

I am also considering the Ojon Rub Out product.

Back