Dry set patterns

Tracy

I've been trying to master getting curls by setting my dry hair. I've tried pin curls, and bantu knots, I've tried flexi rods and magnetics. They never come out right. There's either not enough curl, or too much, or the curls aren't going the right way...or whatever. :ohwell:

Now I've bought a pack of Scunci satin covered foam rollers. I think the reason previous attempts don't come out right is because I don't set my hair "right". I don't think I have the right number of sections, nor do I roll the rollers in the right direction.

Does anyone who rolls their hair at night explain how they do it? How many sections do you use? How do you put the roller in? Take it out? Style in the morning.

The kind of roller or method getting curl matters less to me than the actual process you go thru...

I'd love to hear a few variations on how this is done.

Hi Tracy :wave:
When I do a dry set, which is not every night, I use magnetic rollers or pincurls along w/ leave-in, setting lotion, or both.

If I wear pincurls (which is more comfortable to sleep in than magnetic rollers :) ) in the morning I take them out and style w/ a wide tooth comb, usually I use a headband to push hair away from my face.

If I do a dry rollerset,I make three sections and start rolling like I would normally do for a wet set, with all the rollers going back except for the sides, I roll them down most of the time (many ladies roll differently so this depends on how you roll your hair). I take rollers out in the morning and also style with a wide tooth. I wear my hair down when I do a rollerset, so the style is usually curly and bouncy.

I don't think dry sets last as long as when you set your hair wet :ohwell: Well, that's how it is w/ my hair. My curls end up falling most of the time. But using a little setting lotion helps the curls last a little longer for me. ;)

HTH!

Have you tried the Caruso rollers yet? The set lasts all day and only takes a few minutes to do. Plus your hair gets moisturized as it curls.

Bumping....

Thanks for the suggestion, Chosen.

I still need help. I used the satin rollers last night and I RUINED my rollerset. My hair is VERY curly....and as ever, the curls are going every whichaway. :ohwell: Think Mae West...Marilyn Monroe....

I was trying to avoid the harder magnetics because they really do disturb my sleep. These were great, sleepwise...but I look like a poodle this afternoon....

I want the same smoothness I get with my rollerset and just a way to put a gentle bend in my hair without heat. This.... :wierd: is not what I meant.... :crazy: :lol:

I would like to see more responses too. I've wondered the same thing as you Tracy. :)

But lately, I've been able to get my hair to come out right! I'm doing this rollersetting regime. Here's the way I achieve curls on dry hair after it's been rollerset: I spray oil sheen on my hair, make a part at the crown of my head, comb my hair down on every side (front, side, back, side), then I wrap it with a wide tooth comb at night. In the morning, I loosen the wrap with my hands then gently comb my hair with a wide tooth comb (without combing out the curls). Then I style my hair with my comb and fingers to lift some of the curls, shape them, and have to go the right way, then spray with oil sheen again. I remember when I did wraps on dry hair (that is, no oils/moisturizers), my hair did not come out right.

I haven't tried pincurls yet and would like to try them instead of wrapping all the time. Check out lonei's album. She pincurls her hair days after having a wet rollerset: http://public.fotki.com/lonei and I think her password is jesus. I'm gonna try to look at her pictures and imitate her pincurls.

I also wonder about how CaramelHonee pincurled her hair after that AMAZING ROLLERSET she did a while back. I always look at the picture but don't know the actual process of how to pincurl the curls. I know if I tried pincurling a bunch of curls in my head, it would look a mess if I dont have the right technique. I hope she makes a post in this thread too! :grin:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info PB!

I love CH's pin curls too...

In fact, I actually had her album up once as a reference when I did pin curls. Same crazy looking result. Looser curls then I have now, but still no real shape or style to it....

Hopefully the experts will chime in soon...

:)

yeah! CH's hair came out FANTASTIC after taking down those pin curls... all sleek and shiny... hair to die for!!! :love:

Tracy said:
but still no real shape or style to it....
I posted a little while back about me setting my dry hair on flexi rods (did this on Christmas Eve). I did use the curling iron first to smooth out my hair and then I immediately rolled it (while each section was still warm). My hair looked really nice. Since my hair is cut blunt across the back, it has no shape really or style. So, when I wear my hair curly, it pretty much just hangs straight down. After getting a relaxer touch up yesterday, I had my hair rollerset. After I removed the rollers, my hair was finger combed. This pretty much gives me very loose looking spiral curls. Since my hair isn't cut in a style, it just hung straight down, but I was please with the way it looked.

I have this problem sometims too-then I just put a roller on the section that is misbehaving to try and "train" it back in the dirction that I want it to go in. Whenever I'm getting ready to dry set, I always try to pull the hair together so that all of the curl (or bend or whatever is left) is going in the same direction, and then I roll based on that. The next day, it usually falls the same way.

I know that some of you all don't like the idea of using foam rollers, but I use them faithfully and they work great for me!!:)

I just wrap the roller with an end paper... I have the medium sized and the large ones. If I use the large ones without setting lotion, I end up with just a slight wave rather than actual curls... (I do my mohawk rollerset at night).

You should give it a try Tracy... it just might give you the look you want.;)

Lindy can you explain the mohawk rollerset again for me? I don't recall how exactly you do it...

And again - thanks to all those that are chiming in! :) I know there are million ways to do this, and I'm interested specifically in HOW you guys use what you use and the pattern you're using to set your hair - how many sections you use, what direction you roll your hair in...all that.

Pweese? I know it's tedious....but I MUST KNOW. I get terrible results when I do ANY kind of set at ALL.

The mohawk is when you just gather all your hair up to the top of your head and put the rollers in going from the top of your forehead all the way down in a straight line back to the nape of your neck... so that the rollers form a "mohawk" (there are no rollers on the sides).

Since the sides aren't really getting rolled (just the ends are) it gives you looser curls than if you had set up all your hair. Someone here posted a pic of their mohawk set recently... I can't recall who it was right now though...:ohwell:

If I want a more curly look, I'll just set all my hair with the foam rollers, I dont really part it out and pay a lot of attention to neatness. I just set ALL my hair going back... I'd say I use about 15 rollers...

Thanks guys!

Kitch that was VERY helpful!

Lindy - I think I get it....I'm gonna check your album and see if I can find a pic. I'm SO understanding challegned when it comes to hair STYLING. I can grow it! And I can rollerset it! and I can make it swing and shine! But I can't style my hair worth a DAMN! :(

Hey Tracy!

Usually when I rollerset my hair and after the initial flat-ironing, I try to avoid using additional heat for the duration of the set. What works for me is at night I set my hair in 3 large pin curls to maintain the loose, tousled curly look:

Here are the pin curls:

Also sometimes I'd do 2 pin curls - one on top and one in the middle like in the above pic, but the hair where the 3rd pin curl is - I'd wrap instead.

Here's the result - hair is a bit frizzy because it was beginning to revert. Here my curls are somewhat flipped, but I can use my fingers to have the curls flip or bend - depending on what I'm going for.

HTH!

Lindy said:
The mohawk is when you just gather all your hair up to the top of your head and put the rollers in going from the top of your forehead all the way down in a straight line back to the nape of your neck... so that the rollers form a "mohawk" (there are no rollers on the sides).

Since the sides aren't really getting rolled (just the ends are) it gives you looser curls than if you had set up all your hair. Someone here posted a pic of their mohawk set recently... I can't recall who it was right now though...:ohwell:

If I want a more curly look, I'll just set all my hair with the foam rollers, I dont really part it out and pay a lot of attention to neatness. I just set ALL my hair going back... I'd say I use about 15 rollers...

Hmmm... I might try this tonight!!!! Sounds like a good idea!!! :)

Carefree - that pic is very helpful....

When You do that do your pin curlt he hair loosely? Tight? Anything special you do to it to make it come out that way? The way your hair comes out is exactly how I want mine to come out...and our hair is almost exactly the same length... :)

Tracy said:
Carefree - that pic is very helpful....

When You do that do your pin curlt he hair loosely? Tight? Anything special you do to it to make it come out that way? The way your hair comes out is exactly how I want mine to come out...and our hair is almost exactly the same length... :)

No prob Tracy!

To form the pin curls I kinda loosely "roll" my hair using my 2 index fingers (kinda like I'm rolling the hair around an invisible roller) - then I pin it in place - sometimes using 2-3 pins to make sure they're secure.

I don't have a pic of the sides but I believe my technique is similar to the mohawk that was previously mentioned in this thread - it's just I use pin curls instead of rollers. The sides are smoothed back and pin curled into place- so when you undo them the curls fall loosely.

Sometimes I add a little WGO to the ends before pin-curling. I don't know when I will be rollersetting again - but I'll try to take more detailed pics next time. I hope this works for you!

Carefree said:
No prob Tracy!

To form the pin curls I kinda loosely "roll" my hair using my 2 index fingers (kinda like I'm rolling the hair around an invisible roller) - then I pin it in place - sometimes using 2-3 pins to make sure they're secure.

I don't have a pic of the sides but I believe my technique is similar to the mohawk that was previously mentioned in this thread - it's just I use pin curls instead of rollers. The sides are smoothed back and pin curled into place- so when you undo them the curls fall loosely.

Sometimes I add a little WGO to the ends before pin-curling. I don't know when I will be rollersetting again - but I'll try to take more detailed pics next time. I hope this works for you!

It sure does give me a good sense...Thank you so much Carefree! :)

I'm going to try pin-curls tonight!! I would love to be able to pincurl instead of using the foam rollers!! :) (I miss the nodding smiley!!:mad: )

Ok here is how my hair looks from the side with the pin-curls (my hair is in it's frizzy, curly-fro state now - but just wanted to show how the sections would look from the side):

:shocked: Did you JUST take this pic carefree? For this thread? :lol:

:kiss: You ladies are the sweetest bunch, I swear it!

This makes it CRYSTAL clear...I couldn't get my head around what happens on the sides. Lindy, is that what your "mohawk:" looks like too? I notice the pattern is basically the same - even in Kitch's album....

Last edited:
Tracy said:
:shocked: Did you JUST take this pic carefree? For this thread? :lol:

Yes girl I'm guilty - I just took that pic lol. I'm home today and have too much time on my hands :) Besides I love discussing hair and it's kinda fun to be able to demonstrate what I was trying to describe.

Tracy said:
Lindy, is that what your "mohawk:" looks like too?

Yep. Pretty much, except that I comb my sides "up" (to the top) instead of "back" (like Carefree's are in her pic)... and I put about 5 rollers going down...

Back