Dry Hair

Hey guys this has been urking me since I started doing my own hair. Everytime I wash my hair afterwards it feels like straw. Tonight I did that used a deep conditioner sat under my dryer for 10 mins and as soon as I wash the conditioner out the straw is back especially my ends. Yes I put coconut oil and bjco but it feels like the products are on my hair not penetrating it. What should I do?

Sent from my Eris using Long Hair Care Forum App

Can you give us a little more information?

Are you natural or relaxed? What specific products are you using to wash/condish/DC? At what frequency are you doing each?

I used Wen cleanser and hair mayo for a deep conditioner. I'm textlaxed and I never used a clarify shampoo.

I also use coconut oil and bjco but it feels like it coats the hair not penetrating it. Like my hair feels like straw and I run my hand through it and coconut oil is all over my hand.

OP, do the porosity water test. You need to know.

I had been going through that very thing. My daughter told me that I may have low porosity, and she was right. I put some baking soda in my conditioner and cowashed with it. My hair is soft and it is absorbing stuff again.

How do I do a porosity test and what do you guys recommend as a moisturizer? I thought the oils would moisturize LOL. That's probably one mistake I did.

Before I started my HHJ, my hair used to be SO dry. I mean REALLY dry. I used to wonder how anyone ever managed to go, and stay, natural with such desert-dry hair.

Don't have this problem anymore. You have to create a healthy regimen for your hair the same way you would for your body. In your case- wash with a moisturizing shampoo (or maybe co-wash instead- this is what I do), condition with a moisturizing conditioner, ditto with a DC, apply a moisturizing leave-in or moisturizer (the ladies on the board can recommend lots of different options), THEN you seal with an oil like jbco or coconut oil (or any other that you prefer).

As another sis mentioned, oils do not moisturize your hair; they work to seal in moisture that is already present in the hair. This is probably why your hair is so dry after you apply them....there wasn't enough moisture in your hair (by way of a leave in or moisturizer, for example) for them to be effective.

Last edited:
LOL thank u sooo much just learned somethin. U guys saved my hair. Ima go out today and get a moisturizer and see how it does. Trial and error LOL

Also ima try to use a clarifying shampoo... I never used one and I may have a bit of build up LOL

OP I think you may find that the clarifying shampoo will allow your hair to absorb moisture much better. Be sure to use a sulfate free shampoo.

Good luck

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Omg I went to sallys and bought some moisturizers and experimented and my hair feels so soft and that it has life... that is what I was missing... a good moisturizer. I see why its sooo important to do so. It's not straw anymore. Thank you!!!

I had a similar problem a while back. What helped me was rinsing the deep conditioner out with cold/cool water and then applying a leave-in. My hair was no longer straw-like and dry feeling after that. Don't know if that helps.

I'm also gonna try that too cuz after a day it gets really dry. It seems since I'm texturizing my hair is dryer than when I was relaxing LOL

Back