dry hair help

Glamorous_chic

i'm newly natural and trying to find a regimen. since the closest to a ponytail i can do is a afropuff, this has been my staple style for the past few days. i've been cowashing my hair daily with either aussie moist/he hello hydration/or suave almond shea. i then apply either regular conditioner or kimmaytube's leave in then seal with coconut oil. my hair feels moisturized all day, and feels great until night/next day. it then starts to feel as dry as straw. so i almost feel like i have to cowash to keep it moisturized. is this normal? any advice? btw im thick density/fine/4a protein sensitive if that at all helps.

maybe you should do oil rinses and also spritz some water on your hair at night before you tie it down.. and a good moisturizer at nite might be helpful also.

try pre-pooing with aloe and evco mixed with your conditioner......put a plastic cap on and sit under the dryer for 20-30 minutes or without heat for an hr or 2......then continue with your co-wash or poo plus condish. this is my modified version of chiciro's moisture drenched pre-poo.your products aren't glycerin heavy are they? do you moisturize & seal? how often do you clarify because your co-wash products have cones in them.

i <3 jane carters nourish and shine. My hair was extremely dry before I started using it..I'm relaxed but have the dryest hair in life.

my hair feels moisturized all day, and feels great until night/next day. it then starts to feel as dry as straw. so i almost feel like i have to cowash to keep it moisturized. is this normal?

My hair is like this too, esp. when I used to wear it out in its natural state. Some hair is just really porous and loses moisture quickly. A few things I've found that help:

1. Moisturizing between washes with a good butter-type moisturizer. I like Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter. I had to try quite a few before finding one that leaves my hair moisturized, so you may have to, too.

2. Flexi-rod-setting my hair with a good leave-in. For some reason my hair gets much drier if I leave it totally free than if I set it. I use Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner and Sebastian Potion 9 as leave-ins.

3. Also, try some different leave-in conditioners if your hair is getting really dry. It took me a while to find one that was moisturizing enough.

4. Getting a shower head filter! I kid you not, the difference in my hair and skin was noticeable the first time I used it -- much softer and much less dry. My tap water in LA is heavily chlorinated, and pretty much any municipal water supply has chlorine and other junk that can make your hair dry. I ordered the Sprite High-Output chlorine filter and shower head from Amazon, and have been very happy with it.

Hope this helps! Keep trying and you'll eventually find what works.

Maybe you could try deep-conditioning each week and using Roux Porosity Control or doing apple cider vinegar rinses to seal your cuticles.

Are you clarifying? All of the cowash conditioners you listed contain silicones, which need to be cleansed with shampoo (needs sulfates or coco betaine). If you have build up, it may be difficult for your hair to hold onto moisture. Also, try a different oil and see if you get the same result. Coconut oil makes some people's hair dry and crunchy.

Back