Dry ends!! HELP!!

Bronxcutie

I currently have hair that is both relaxed and highlighted. I got my highlights in September. I do not use heat. I let my hair dry overnight in rollers. I use both the Jane Carter Solution "Nourish & Shine" (not too impressed with this) and Cantu's Shea Butter lotion. I use both protein and moisturizing conditioners. My hair is not breaking, but I have noticed that since the weather has become much colder in NY, my ends are very dry. This started in mid-October. I have both Pink & Natural and Queen Helene's hot oil treatments but they haven't worked. Can anyone recommend something else?

I had this problem last year, which led to many setbacks, but so far cowashing is doing the trick for me...i live in NJ so i know EXACTLY what u mean about the weather...also this season is when i really keep my hair hidden(wind, and breezy dry air=no good) so braids, wigs, weaves, it is

Hey girl! :welcome:

The shear fact that you're relaxed and have highlights may have something to do with the dryness, but its GREAT that you dont use heat bc that would only make the problem worse. :yep: How often do you deep condition and what do you use to deep condition?

You asked for a recommendation on daily moisturizers so here are a few I like:

ORS olive oil (in the jar--the bottle is okay too) :love:
Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship- leave in conditioner
NTM leave in conditioner.

Also, you should be sealing with an oil to help prevent the moisturizers from evaporating too quickly.

One more thing: protective styles will definitely help keep your ends protected from the dry cold weather.

I deep condition every week with Creme of Nature Jojoba & Olive Oil Deep Conditioner. I also use Motions CPR conditioner for protein. How do I know which oils to buy? I am assuming that a lot of the oils that are sold in the drug stores are full of perfume and other chemicals? What kind of protective styles can I try? My hair isn't long enough for a bun.

Bronxcutie,

How are you styling your hair at night? If you wrap your hair or twist into a bun before putting your scarf on, your hair may be robbing your ends of moisture! To prevent this I moisturize & seal at night and use a large flexi-rod on my ends and then tie my hair up. In the morning my hair is moist with a nice little bend! I also found the nourish and shine to be not so great if you are not using a moisturizer along with it.

Bronxcutie,

How are you styling your hair at night? If you wrap your hair or twist into a bun before putting your scarf on, your hair may be robbing your ends of moisture! To prevent this I moisturize & seal at night and use a large flexi-rod on my ends and then tie my hair up. In the morning my hair is moist with a nice little bend! I also found the nourish and shine to be not so great if you are not using a moisturizer along with it.

I wrap my hair every night. I have flexirods from when I had longer hair. I don't think it's going to work on my short hair.

TRY using EVOO extra virgin olive oil after you moisturize. jost a few drops to seal in the moisturizer OR grapeseed oil is very good as well ome people swear by castor oil i only use it when i am wearing a bun bc it is a litte sticky i buy mine fron trader joes or a health food store they are about 3 to 4 bucks they can be used as a hot oil treatment as well b4 you shampoo i hop this helps if you have more questions feel free to pm me

I MADE APL :woot:

This is what I used to combat my dry dry dry ends:

Apply a good amount of Vatika hair oil and leave it overnight. Wash out the next day

apply vegetable glycerine throughout hair and seal with almond oil.

My 2 cents.

This is what I used to combat my dry dry dry ends:

Apply a good amount of Vatika hair oil and leave it overnight. Wash out the next day

apply vegetable glycerine throughout hair and seal with almond oil.

My 2 cents.

Where can I get this stuff? I'm in NYC so I assume I can find pretty much anything here, lol

You asked for a recommendation on daily moisturizers so here are a few I like:

ORS olive oil (in the jar--the bottle is okay too) :love:
Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship- leave in conditioner
NTM leave in conditioner.

Also, you should be sealing with an oil to help prevent the moisturizers from evaporating too quickly.
What she said. :yep: I love all three of those products, and seal with a couple drops of jojoba or EVOO. The NTM gave me a new head of hair.

I deep condition every week with Creme of Nature Jojoba & Olive Oil Deep Conditioner. I also use Motions CPR conditioner for protein. How do I know which oils to buy? I am assuming that a lot of the oils that are sold in the drug stores are full of perfume and other chemicals? What kind of protective styles can I try? My hair isn't long enough for a bun.

I'd recommend Vatika oil in the summer for your ends...for the winter Avacoda oil or Vitamin E oil for your ends. You can get these natural oils from the Vitamin Shop or GNC.

You are right, I would not purchase oils from the drug store, they are not natural/pure oils.

I use Garnier Fructis Strength & Repair conditioner on my ends. It has ceramide is it. Then I seal with evoo. I do this 3x a day.

Last edited:
Where can I get this stuff? I'm in NYC so I assume I can find pretty much anything here, lol

well I'm in the UK so I can't help with that. I know that most Indian

grocery stores should have it (vatika hair oil the one in my siggy) if you

can't find one they sell it on ebay and amazon. As for the almond oil most

grocery stores should have it and the glycerin you can should be able to

get at the pharmacy and if not once again you can get it on ebay.

i moisturize my ends every morning and every night. i also always seal with an oil. i use keracare cream hairdress or hydratherma naturals growth lotion to moisturize and coconut oil or cocasta oil to seal. its getting cold here too but i dont think that should be a problem since i do this twice a day. also i ALWAYS pre poo with a deep conditioner(moisture) or a good natural oil. then i shampoo with wen(a cleansing conditioner, more moisture). and then i deep condtion with heat for no less than 30minutes(more moisture).
i also use several moisturizing leave in conditioners.

I think that you need to re-evaluate your regime to counteract the climatic conditions. Try your DCing with more natural ingredients (*coconut, avocado or jojoba oils, butters are also great) and add glycerin to your regime. Your hair needs more care with the highlights which are very drying. CWing is great for adding moisture especially mixed with natural products and try adding Ayurveda powders to your conditioner which also helps. Products containing alcohol and sulphates also dry out the hair, which many ladies on this board are aware of, and if you must use them try pre-pooing with a heavier oil to counteract their dryness.

Sleeping in flexi-rods can lead to breakage, trying rollersetting or flat ironing and then wrapping your hair around your head. It holds the style really well. You could also try neutral henna which is great for conditioning and will help to hold the highlights better. Also using too much product to moisturise dry hair can also have the opposite effect, so keep it simple. Moisturise with a liquid product or oil moisturiser and use a little oil. This keeps your hair healthy and shiny without feeling coated and greasy, less product is more.

Your hair looks great.

MeechUK

Hi Bronxcutie,
do you follow-up your protein treatments with a moisturising conditioner? You may be overdoing the protein or may not need to use in colder weather. Healthfood stores are a good source for buying pure and essential oils.

MeechUK

Last edited:
Hi Bronxcutie,
do you follow-up your protein treatments with a moisturising conditioner? You may be overdoing the protein or may not need to use in colder weather. Healthfood stores are a good source for buying pure and essential oils.

MeechUK

I always use a moisturizing conditioner after the protein. The strange thing is today my hair looks great. I didn't wrap my hair last night. I added the Cantu Shea Butter and rolled my hair. My ends don't look dry at all. Could wrapping actually dry out your hair?

I always use a moisturizing conditioner after the protein. The strange thing is today my hair looks great. I didn't wrap my hair last night. I added the Cantu Shea Butter and rolled my hair. My ends don't look dry at all. Could wrapping actually dry out your hair?

It depends on what you wrap your hair with. Do you use a silk or cotton scarf to cover your hair? Also butters are great, especially when you use distilled water or water-based moisturiser. I don't think that wrapping dries your hair out, what did you do differently apart from using the Cantu butter?

MeechUK

It depends on what you wrap your hair with. Do you use a silk or cotton scarf to cover your hair? Also butters are great, especially when you use distilled water or water-based moisturiser. I don't think that wrapping dries your hair out, what did you do differently apart from using the Cantu butter?

MeechUK

I use a silk scarf. I think the dryness is because of the change in weather. I rolled my hair again last night and it is NOT dry.

My sister had bleached her hair and it was very parched and splitting. I had her use some of my henna treatment on it and her hair bounced back like you wouldn't believe. I would also recommend using UBH creme moisturizer, it is the bomb and works to soften my excessively dry hair instantly.

Back