DrugStoreCowGirl Challenge

PaleoChick

In my quest for hair care proficiency, I realize that many of my foibles have resulted from continual bandwagon jumping.

Since I am recovering from the splinters on my butt, I decided to take a different approach to my hair care. I see that a lot of the women with the 'ideal' hair use the least amount of products, or use simple things that are not expensive.

So, I have come up with (due to inspiration from Little Gold Lamb-thank you so much-love the BC by the way) the Drugstore Cowgirl challenge.

I will use products that I can get from the drugstore/Walmart/Target/Rite Aid/CVS/natural food store.

However, there will be no product buying online AT ALL!

If you want to join me, great! The more the merrier, but no rush.
Rules...

1. You must stick with the challenge for at least three months. I will stick with the challenge for one year. (9/14/2009-9/14/2010).

2. The products can come from the following sources: Drugstore such as CVS, Rite Aid; stores such as Target, Walmart; grocery stores; natural health food stores; Indian food stores if applicable. For example, TJ Nourish conditioner is cheap and works well, no need to exclude it. The priority is the DRUG STORE.

Ideally, no product should be more than $10-12. Food products can be used, as well as hair specific product.

3. Track your progress! Any wig, weaves, or protective styling, or no protective styling can be used. You can post pics if you like. I myself am not camera proficient...

4. NO, and I mean; NO products bought off the Internet! I am excluding Ulta, Sephora, or any store found in a mall, but that is just me. I will have to go to the BSS to get wigs and such, but I found a really nice black owned BSS in town. JUST WIGS!

Why such a challenge? I know I can retain healthy hair and foster growth, and you can too; without a lot of money. This is to help chronic band wagon jumpers like myself find and use great products that cost less money.

So, for example:

I use TJ Nourish to conditioner wash-$2.99 or VO5 moisture milk (Strawberries and Cream/Passion Fruit) for co-wash-$0.99

I use egg yolks, beer, and AO HSR conditioner-$7.99 for AOHSR, eggs and beer is bought in bulk so it works out- for deep conditioner

I use baking soda, ACV, and diluted Dr. Bronner's soap for shampoo-$10 for the Dr. Bronner's but I buy a large size; $2 for ACV; and $0.90 for baking soda

I use TJ Nourish+amla oil-$0.99 for VO5 and $2.59 for amla oil from indian store- for leave in #1-works well in summer and spring

OR I use SheaMoisture Leave in+amla oil-$6.99 for leave in at natural food store and as above from indian store- for leave in #2-works well for fall/winter

OR (to use it up) I use QB amla cream+olive balm in the dead of winter for leave in #3.

*I was turned on to Organix conditioner (Coconut and Shea Butter), may throw those in when the QB stash runs out as bases for leave in.

(I have a supply of QB olive balm and amla cream which I will use up, but will not rebuy for one year).
Come on in! All are welcome! :yep: Feel free to leave any cost-effective solutions, recipes, links, advice, etc. Peace and love. SunkistDiva

Last edited:
Oooh this sounds right up my alley, but I have really been patiently waiting to get some curly custard from Afroveda. Can I join after I place my order on Sept. 16 when the lady gets back? :spinning:

Pretty please!! LOL!! :grin:

Great idea by the way!! With this challenge our hair will grow longer and healthier, and we'll save some money in the "hair fund"!!

I am gonna join but need to use up my qb heavy cream, does anyone have anu syggestions for a good store bought moisturizer? I don't like to use S-curl for the winter, I like to use that for the summer LOL!!!!

Last edited:
This is my regi. Just homemade sstuff and things i can buy in the drugstore/walmart/natural food stores. And its been very very very good for my hair.

So count me in =)

Technically, this wouldn't be a "challenge" for me-I never order things online, it's this weird phobia I have. :look:
so i guess i'm in:grin:

I haven't ordered a hair product online yet. I think my most expensive product is the Kinky Curly Knot Today. I think it was around $10.

Here's my list for the next 3 month
co-wash - VO5
clarifying condish - V05
DC - aubreys organics island naturals
leave in/ detangler - knot today or Just for me 2 in 1
moisturizing spray - african royale
sealant - shea butter + coconut oil

I wish I could find a cheaper DC but its hard to find good cone-free DCs

Lys

The name of this challenge makes me giggle!

It sounds like something I might join...I'm tired right now, so I will revisit tomorrow and decide!

In my quest for hair care proficiency, I realize that many of my foibles have resulted from continual bandwagon jumping.

Since I am recovering from the splinters on my butt, I decided to take a different approach to my hair care. I see that a lot of the women with the 'ideal' hair use the least amount of products, or use simple things that are not expensive.

So, I have come up with (due to inspiration from Little Gold Lamb-thank you so much-love the BC by the way) the Drugstore Cowgirl challenge.

I will use products that I can get from the drugstore/Walmart/Target/Rite Aid/CVS/natural food store.

However, there will be no product buying online AT ALL!

If you want to join me, great! The more the merrier, but no rush.
Rules...

1. You must stick with the challenge for at least three months. I will stick with the challenge for one year. (9/14/2009-9/14/2010).

2. The products can come from the following sources: Drugstore such as CVS, Rite Aid; stores such as Target, Walmart; grocery stores; natural health food stores; Indian food stores if applicable. For example, TJ Nourish conditioner is cheap and works well, no need to exclude it. The priority is the DRUG STORE.

Ideally, no product should be more than $10-12. Food products can be used, as well as hair specific product.

3. Track your progress! Any wig, weaves, or protective styling, or no protective styling can be used. You can post pics if you like. I myself am not camera proficient...

4. NO, and I mean; NO products bought off the Internet! I am excluding Ulta, Sephora, or any store found in a mall, but that is just me. I will have to go to the BSS to get wigs and such, but I found a really nice black owned BSS in town. JUST WIGS!

Why such a challenge? I know I can retain healthy hair and foster growth, and you can too; without a lot of money. This is to help chronic band wagon jumpers like myself find and use great products that cost less money.

So, for example:

I use TJ Nourish to conditioner wash-$2.99 or VO5 moisture milk (Strawberries and Cream/Passion Fruit) for co-wash-$0.99

I use egg yolks, beer, and AO HSR conditioner-$7.99 for AOHSR, eggs and beer is bought in bulk so it works out- for deep conditioner

I use baking soda, ACV, and diluted Dr. Bronner's soap for shampoo-$10 for the Dr. Bronner's but I buy a large size; $2 for ACV; and $0.90 for baking soda

I use TJ Nourish+amla oil-$0.99 for VO5 and $2.59 for amla oil from indian store- for leave in #1-works well in summer and spring

OR I use SheaMoisture Leave in+amla oil-$6.99 for leave in at natural food store and as above from indian store- for leave in #2-works well for fall/winter

OR (to use it up) I use QB amla cream+olive balm in the dead of winter for leave in #3.

*I was turned on to Organix conditioner (Coconut and Shea Butter), may throw those in when the QB stash runs out as bases for leave in.

(I have a supply of QB olive balm and amla cream which I will use up, but will not rebuy for one year).
Come on in! All are welcome! :yep: Feel free to leave any cost-effective solutions, recipes, links, advice, etc. Peace and love. SunkistDiva

GOOD LUCK TO ALL! SOME PRODUCTS YOU CAN ADD.....
Yes to carrots & cucumbers $7.99-12.99
Sallys products
Pantene
Dark & Lovely..etc

(I am not in the challenge but,On the side-line giving you guys support) HAPPY HAIR GROWING!

Last edited:
Back