Dont underestimate plats

daaiyah

I love plats. Here is why.

A.They give my hair a break.
B. They allow me to really wash as frequently as I want with low manipulation.
C. There is strength in numbers. No breakage from stress points like ponytails. The strands in each plat stand united against pulling and breakage.
D. I can wear my hair down more often. Water and oil protect the ends just fine.
E. Very versatile hair styles. The thinner the plats the more versatile.
F. I always see length accumulate after undoing my hair.
G. It is my emergency go-to when breaking and shedding go rampant.
H. They are cheap and easy to do.
I. They respond well to most any shampoo and conditioner.

My plats are larger than microbraids and I never, ever add hair.
Pics in my fotki.

I like wearing my hair in a plait or two, sometimes. I would love to be able to wear it in numerous ones like the styles in your Fotki (Very pretty, btw), but my hair unravels like crazy unless I put a hair accessory on the end.

I like wearing my hair in a plait or two, sometimes. I would love to be able to wear it in numerous ones like the styles in your Fotki (Very pretty, btw), but my hair unravels like crazy unless I put a hair accessory on the end.

Mestiza,
If I had hair as long as yours, I would take my one plat, hair accessory and all, and swing all up and down the street. And if someone looked at me wrong, I could use it as a weapon.:grin: Just kidding. I do like your hair, though.

That is how I feel about twists, I love them and my hair loves them too. Your hair is pretty and the braids look great on your hair.

Mestiza,
If I had hair as long as yours, I would take my one plat, hair accessory and all, and swing all up and down the street. And if someone looked at me wrong, I could use it as a weapon.:grin: Just kidding. I do like your hair, though.

I just might have to do that.
19.gif

Thanks, also. :wink2:

I knoooowww
I love them because you can get to your scalp easy (for washing and oiling est), and you can keep your hair detangled really good with the sections, and you can go to a braidout from there for something special which is cute with no heat

I dont wear mine anywhere though because i never take the time to make them look presentable and my hair is shorter than yours and it wouldnt look right to me :nono: (but yours are ca-yute, nice texture of hair) i keep the back braided up and wear a fall, and in the front i keep my hair out (like 1 inch of hair going all the way across) and braid/twist that section up at night, and undo in the morning

I knoooowww
I love them because you can get to your scalp easy (for washing and oiling est), and you can keep your hair detangled really good with the sections, and you can go to a braidout from there for something special which is cute with no heat

I dont wear mine anywhere though because i never take the time to make them look presentable and my hair is shorter than yours and it wouldnt look right to me :nono: (but yours are ca-yute, nice texture of hair) i keep the back braided up and wear a fall, and in the front i keep my hair out (like 1 inch of hair going all the way across) and braid/twist that section up at night, and undo in the morning

Good point. I forgot to add easy access to your scalp. No parting and extra combing.
I bet when you undo the twist or braid in the morning it is so cute. They leave a natural looking wave in your hair that is very complimentary.

I agree. I love plaits and twists. I dont have any pics of mine in my fotki, but I will add them soon.

Daaiyah, yours are really nice. And you're right...so versatile.

I knoooowww

Fluffylocks: This is exactly what I do:yep:

Daaiyah: Your braids are beautiful and the twists are pretty too. By the way I checked out the video link and it's a beautiful message, very moving.

Fluffylocks: This is exactly what I do:yep:

Daaiyah: Your braids are beautiful and the twists are pretty too. By the way I checked out the video link and it's a beautiful message, very moving.

Thanks. Girl #1 loves twists, because she can do them herself.

Ok I had this convo about what a plait is last night at work and I can't seem to picture what your talking about and If it's what I think, I'm like :eek: she wears this out. Off to stalk her fotki......be right back.

ETA: Ok just like last night with my coworkers. I was thinking that a plait was what my mom used to do to my ponytails when she divided my hair in 2 then twisted and tacked a barette on to the end. So what's that called a twist???? but I have a totally diff view of what a twist is but I guess it works:ohwell: Yeah those would be nice then you could just take them down and wear it like a braidout after a day or 2 or 3 maybe. Dual role.hmmmm may have to check this out.

Last edited:
I grew up hating plats. On wash days my mom would wash my hair and plat my hair in like 20 or so braids to airdry. And I would always get teased or called whoopi goldberg:perplexed. So ever since I've been traumatized.:look:

I've never worn a plait in the daytime, but they are so cute on Dlewis I might give it a shot. :yep:

Ok I had this convo about what a plait is last night at work and I can't seem to picture what your talking about and If it's what I think, I'm like :eek: she wears this out. Off to stalk her fotki......be right back.

ETA: Ok just like last night with my coworkers. I was thinking that a plait was what my mom used to do to my ponytails when she divided my hair in 2 then twisted and tacked a barette on to the end. So what's that called a twist???? but I have a totally diff view of what a twist is but I guess it works:ohwell: Yeah those would be nice then you could just take them down and wear it like a braidout after a day or 2 or 3 maybe. Dual role.hmmmm may have to check this out.

When I was younger I used to do my hair like your mom did yours until I got the hang of doing it w/ three sections of hair. I used to call it twisting my hair. You should give plaiting a try and see how you like it, now. They can be very pretty and so can braidouts from them. I see plaits as a 2 for 1 hairstyle.

I grew up hating plats. On wash days my mom would wash my hair and plat my hair in like 20 or so braids to airdry. And I would always get teased or called whoopi goldberg:perplexed. So ever since I've been traumatized.:look:

Some kids will find anything to tease somebody about. :( At one point, I hated wearing my hair in plaits, too. I wanted to try different hairstyles like the girls who went to school w/ me, but my mom said that it was out of the question b/c I was not going to be walking around looking grown like them.

I love plats. Here is why.

A.They give my hair a break.
B. They allow me to really wash as frequently as I want with low manipulation.
C. There is strength in numbers. No breakage from stress points like ponytails. The strands in each plat stand united against pulling and breakage.
D. I can wear my hair down more often. Water and oil protect the ends just fine.
E. Very versatile hair styles. The thinner the plats the more versatile.
F. I always see length accumulate after undoing my hair.
G. It is my emergency go-to when breaking and shedding go rampant.
H. They are cheap and easy to do.
I. They respond well to most any shampoo and conditioner.

My plats are larger than microbraids and I never, ever add hair.
Pics in my fotki.

I agree with everything you said about plaits:yep:! I started out with twists (but they mesh now and try to loc) so lately have switched to almost micro sized plaits and I LOVE it.

I used to do twist but some reason it just doesn't work for me anymore. I braid/plait it up now and my hair is thanking me for it. I even deep condition and everything and it still looks nice.

I love them, too! I wear them under my half wig as a protective style because the sides of my hair just isn't long enough to wear them down yet and look good. Soon, though! :)

Thats funny. I have seen some 'supposed to be grown' men wearing the twist with a barrette :barf:.

If my hair was natural I would wear twists all the time. I love them too.

I got a lot of growth from wearing twists all the time. I am over twists now so I need a new style. I plan on hiding my hair for a couple of months under braids or a sewn in weave.

I love plaits too. I wear them under my half wig and wash my hair with them while still in plaits. I get alot of growth when my is that way and I leave them alone.

Yes, I luv my protective cornrow style...no extentions added.
Check out my fotki for pics. I think my plats have helped me stretch to 14weeks and it is a perfect way to protect my ends. I put foil on the ends and beads, old school style just the way momma usto do.:grin:

Yes, I luv my protective cornrow style...no extentions added.
Check out my fotki for pics. I think my plats have helped me stretch to 14weeks and it is a perfect way to protect my ends. I put foil on the ends and beads, old school style just the way momma usto do.:grin:

I know about the foil.
BTW you are so pretty, you have a beautiful face and graceful, slender neck. Not trying to be creepy, but that was the first thing I thought when I saw your fotki.

Back