Don't stone me..I have a simple henna question

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I only want to use the henna for the strengthing and conditioning effects. I don't want the color it gives. If i mix it and apply immediately(don't wait for color release) will this give me the strengthing and conditioning effects without the color. I have been reading henna threads for two days and i'm overwhelmed. I just need this simple question answered. Someone please help.

Thanks in advance. My hair is already a brownish red and i don't need it any redder.

:nono:

I wouldn't trust it. You MIGHT be able to avoid all color, but henna is - stubborn and powerful. :lol:

What color is your hair now? If it's dark enough, you most likely can get away with it.
If you have any grey/light brown/blonde parts - it's not worth the risk. :nono:

I'd suggest looking into cassia, instead.

:nono:

I wouldn't trust it. You MIGHT be able to avoid all color, but henna is - stubborn and powerful. :lol:

What color is your hair now? If it's dark enough, you most likely can get away with it.
If you have any grey/light brown/blonde parts - it's not worth the risk. :nono:

I'd suggest looking into cassia, instead.

I have a light brown with a reddish tint to it.:ohwell: Should i use indigo to make it darker? Thanks for answering so quickly.

I have a light brown with a reddish tint to it.:ohwell: Should i use indigo to make it darker? Thanks for answering so quickly.

I have medium brown hair with a reddish tint. Regular henna makes me look like Lucille Ball, so I use Rainbow Research NEUTRAL Henna with great results. I've used it for 5 years with no issues.

:nono: If you like your current hair color, seriously, leave the henna be. Even with the addition of indigo.

I have medium brown hair with a reddish tint. Regular henna makes me look like Lucille Ball, so I use Rainbow Research NEUTRAL Henna with great results. I've used it for 5 years with no issues.

:yep: It's actually Cassia, not Henna. Close relatives, gives you the strength and shine, but it's a pale yellow color. If you have stark white hair, it could make you look like a pale blond, but otherwise, it's good.

I used to apply my henna mix immediately without waiting for the color release and my hair still turned reddish brown.

I'm going to see if the lady will take back this henna and give me cassia instead. Let me call her.

It's actually Cassia, not Henna.

I know that it's Cassia Obovata, but the label on the jar says "Rainbow Henna: Persian Neutral". I wanted her to have the actual name of what I use in case she wants to check it out. Lots of Cassia is billed as being "Neutral Henna", which is why you have to check the label.

I spoke with the lady at Mehandi and she said that Cassia is very very drying. She said it does offer conditioning benefits but for the average AA hair type, it is too drying.

I spoke with the lady at Mehandi and she said that Cassia is very very drying. She said it does offer conditioning benefits but for the average AA hair type, it is too drying.

Just my luck. First bandwagon i wanted to jump on and can't. Can a girl get thicker hair please or at least let it appear thicker.

Henna is still a mystery to me the first few weeks I used it my hair felt lip crisp then after a while it started to look shiny feel soft and well conditioned. I have black hair and every now and again I noticed that after using henna I had a hint of color residue which was all the more apparent in daylight... I don't mind the color. Anyway, my confusion began when mygodmother who has jetblack thick hair suggested adding coffee to a premixed henna and to add yogurt if I wanted, she said the coffee releases the color but after using that method I didn't notice any color changes bun instead my hair appeared to be all the more darker???!!! I honestly don't know nor do I understand.

Anyone else uses that method? What are your results?!!

Nope, not gonna work your hair is going to acquire a tint .. it won't be noticable in regular light, but in the sunlight you will see it. I only use my henna for strengthening purposes... I don't add anything acetic.. (only yogurt.. oils... and hot water) and I put it on my head for immediately after for 2-3hrs... hmm come to think of it maybe if you didn't boil the water you may get less colour release

Btw I suggest using amla for conditioning and moisture (the powder). No one ever seems to talk about amla as much idky

Nope, not gonna work your hair is going to acquire a tint .. it won't be noticable in regular light, but in the sunlight you will see it. I only use my henna for strengthening purposes... I don't add anything acetic.. (only yogurt.. oils... and hot water) and I put it on my head for immediately after for 2-3hrs... hmm come to think of it maybe if you didn't boil the water you may get less colour release

I was looking at the henna for hair site and it said the dye releases extra slow in cold temps. I wondering if i mixed it with really cold water(almost freezing) and apply it immediately for about 30 minutes with no heat would the dye not release.

I was looking at the henna for hair site and it said the dye releases extra slow in cold temps. I wondering if i mixed it with really cold water(almost freezing) and apply it immediately for about 30 minutes with no heat would the dye not release.

You may still get some dye release. If you are just wanting strengthening and conditioning without the color then you should use Cassia. I use henna, I let the dye release for about 2 to 3 hours, and leave it on my hair for only about an hour and still my hair gets the color. I only let the dye release a little and the color shows quite a bit. To be on the safe side, just don't use it. You said your hair was a light brown, you will have red hair.

2.jpg

this is my hair. Sorry trying to stay anonymous and i have bad painting skills:lachen:

Yeah, henna will make that redder. No doubt. :yep: Even with the cold water, the heat from your head is going to start it releasing.

Btw I suggest using amla for conditioning and moisture (the powder). No one ever seems to talk about amla as much idky

I agree with what the ladies have said. I used cassia as I didn't want the colour either but i still ended up with red all over.
Like Stelladata said Amla is a great sub. I am a HUGE FAN of Amla. I get the strenght and shine. I wish henna didn't give the colour release but its the side effect of the wonderful benefits.

If you wanna see if there is colour release try butting some henna mix (with the cold/freezing water) on the palm of your hand and leaving it for a couple hours... ...... peel it off and then see if the colour released on your hand.... the longer the henna stays the better the results and from what I have read its good to keep it in for at least an hour.

If you wanna see if there is colour release try butting some henna mix (with the cold/freezing water) on the palm of your hand and leaving it for a couple hours... ...... peel it off and then see if the colour released on your hand.... the longer the henna stays the better the results and from what I have read its good to keep it in for at least an hour.

ok i will try this tonight and see how much it releases. When you ladies say red do you mean like red red or brown red? Do you mean looking like a fool red? I want darker hair really. I hate this color and it is my natural color.

i never wait for color release... i mix and apply right away, due to the fact that i leave it on for 1 hour+ i always get color... but i like the reddish hint on my dark brown hair

I found a better pic of my hair in my photo stash. This is my hair up close and personal. I don't mind if the henna will give a a red tint i just don't want bright red or orange hair. Let me know what you ladies think. What color would henna turn this
christmas2009096.jpg

Im also having the same issue OP. I use henna, but when mixing I mix it with Aveda black malva and amla oil to try and keep my hair dark and so far so good, it looks black. However in the light as the other ladies were saying I can see a reddish tint, but it isnt obvious as others dont notice. Not sure if it is something that you would like to try, but it maybe worth sticking with cassia if you dont want the risk.

Hope this helps. :)

Im also having the same issue OP. I use henna, but when mixing I mix it with Aveda black malva and amla oil to try and keep my hair dark and so far so good, it looks black. However in the light as the other ladies were saying I can see a reddish tint, but it isnt obvious as others dont notice. Not sure if it is something that you would like to try, but it maybe worth sticking with cassia if you dont want the risk.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks. I don't think i really know what color my hair is.:lachen: It looks different in every photo. I'm picking up some amla and castor oil today.

thanks for the post, i had planned a treatment this weekend and completely forgot, just mixed mine up. i posted threads about the same thing. i've never tried it before, but i've mixed up 5 tbl cassia, 2 tbl henna, 1 tbl amla and 1tbl bringhraj, hopefully i'll get alot of strength and conditioning, no real color release.

thanks for the post, i had planned a treatment this weekend and completely forgot, just mixed mine up. i posted threads about the same thing. i've never tried it before, but i've mixed up 5 tbl cassia, 2 tbl henna, 1 tbl amla and 1tbl bringhraj, hopefully i'll get alot of strength and conditioning, no real color release.

wouldn't the henna give you a color release though? I thought cassia and henna were kind of the same but one had red in it and the other is sort of neutral or do people use both?

I chickened out and decided not to do the henna. I have some cassia coming in the mail and i think i will try that first. I may get brave enough to try henna later.

Back