Dominican Salons ???

AtlantaJJ

Okay, I'm obviously new to this whole hair care thing, I've been out of hair comissioin for the past 7 years after the birth of my son and PP hair sheding.

I've come out of braid jail and I'm learning so much here on the boards,thanks everyone, this has been a Godsend.

Now, what's up with the Dominican Salons? What do they do different from the regular old sista girl salons??

Help a newbie out!

LOL TIA!

AtlantaJJ said:
Okay, I'm obviously new to this whole hair care thing, I've been out of hair comissioin for the past 7 years after the birth of my son and PP hair sheding.

I've come out of braid jail and I'm learning so much here on the boards,thanks everyone, this has been a Godsend.

Now, what's up with the Dominican Salons? What do they do different from the regular old sista girl salons??

Help a newbie out!

LOL TIA!

What do they do different:
- wash, rollerset, blowdry the roots - you get tons of body and movement
- use less products than most AA salons - not all the gels, sheens, or greases
- you can be in an out in no time - where as in most "sista girls salons" you can spend a whole day in there

Cons:
- The HEAT can be a killer if you go often
- sometimes there is a language barrier

They're usually cheaper too :)

Not sure what side of ATL you live in, but check out Lilly's on Jimmy Carter BLVD in Norcross for a $25 DBO.

I'd say ask for Vanessa, Elsie or Gladys in that order. Gladys is Elsie's younger sister and GENTLE as all get out, but she's the slowest of the 3 named.

It's first come first served, walk in only and ALOT of the sistas are there when they open at 9AM with their names already on the list. It can get crazy at dominican salons, but I find even with the wait list, I'm in and out in a shorter time that with a traditional AA stylist.

Good luck!

Another "PRO" is that they also tend to use a lot of really great natural products, ie, avocado, olive oil, garlic, coconut-based....... Everything is really great for your hair, so you leave w/it feeling really healthy and well-nourished.

Oooh, thank you. I may give them a try for a roller set after a while. I love the no wait thing, that used to KILL me!

Thanks laides!

AtlantaJJ said:
Oooh, thank you. I may give them a try for a roller set after a while. I love the no wait thing, that used to KILL me!

Thanks laides!

Yup, i go to the Dominican salon once per week, and I am in and out in under an 1 1/2..... and one hour of that is spent under the drier. Its definitely not an "all day long" experience, the way going to the stylist used to be when i lived in MD. *smh* I couldnt STAND that jont! :mad:

Chiming in b/c I JUST came from the Dominican salon in Kennesaw just a few hours ago. I have gone there on a couple of occassions to let them flat iron my roots while i was stretching. I am now 17 weeks post relaxer and when I left there tonight, my hair felt so soft and silky i need to make sure this lady didn't give me a relaxer!! (I've only gotten the blowout done once and don't like the heat; I got the same result - great movement - with just getting my roots flat ironed)

I agree with the other posters that your hair feels really healthy. Before she started, the lady asked me if i wanted a conditioning treatment and I asked her if it was extra. She said "yes" and I told her no, but asked her wasn't she going to condition it anyway. She said I would just get a regular one that came with the shampoo. My hair feels so good that I would hate to feel it if i had gotten the "extra" conditioning treatment.

Overall, I am happy about this last visit. I can see myself stretching even longer and just going every blue moon to get a rollerset for special occassions.

Maaaannn, see ya'll really got me wanting to drive to Atlanta for the classic this weekend.:D

Why can't some Dominican's migrate to Nashville?!?!?:lachen:

:eek:
KiniKakes said:
Yup, i go to the Dominican salon once per week, and I am in and out in under an 1 1/2..... and one hour of that is spent under the drier. Its definitely not an "all day long" experience, the way going to the stylist used to be when i lived in MD. *smh* I couldnt STAND that jont! :mad:

I wish I could go once a week, right now I can't afford it, I've only gone once but I really liked the way my hair turned out, that blow dryer was hard to take :eek: Do you find it a little too hot? Since you go everyweek do you still do your own hair at home too? I'm trying to go every 2 weeks and not shampoo my own hair at home until it's in better condition, I had color put it 2 weeks before I went to the salon and my hair was breaking off really bad, the conditioner at the dominican shop helped a lot, that is why I want to keep going, I've heard they can really take care of your hair.

LP1177 said:
:eek:

I wish I could go once a week, right now I can't afford it, I've only gone once but I really liked the way my hair turned out, that blow dryer was hard to take :eek: Do you find it a little too hot? Since you go everyweek do you still do your own hair at home too? I'm trying to go every 2 weeks and not shampoo my own hair at home until it's in better condition, I had color put it 2 weeks before I went to the salon and my hair was breaking off really bad, the conditioner at the dominican shop helped a lot, that is why I want to keep going, I've heard they can really take care of your hair.

Well I live in Brooklyn and it's only $15 for a wash/rollerset/blowout, so its SO affordable. In the past i used to get my hair blown out, and yes, the blowdryer was hot but tolerable (beauty is pain, was my mantra!) But for the past couple of years i've stopped getting the blow-outs, because it was entirely too much heat on my ends. I now get the roots blown out only, and nah, its not too hot at all.

The only thing i do at home is moisturize throughout the week, and i do an Aphogee treatment every couple of months. I go to the salon for all washing/conditioning.

Yeah, im REAL happy with how they take care of my hair. :)

KiniKakes said:
Well I live in Brooklyn and it's only $15 for a wash/rollerset/blowout, so its SO affordable. In the past i used to get my hair blown out, and yes, the blowdryer was hot but tolerable (beauty is pain, was my mantra!) But for the past couple of years i've stopped getting the blow-outs, because it was entirely too much heat on my ends. I now get the roots blown out only, and nah, its not too hot at all.

The only thing i do at home is moisturize throughout the week, and i do an Aphogee treatment every couple of months. I go to the salon for all washing/conditioning.

Yeah, im REAL happy with how they take care of my hair. :)

I'm in Vegas, and I think it is about $30, I only went once and I got 2 diffent conditioners becuase my hair is breaking so bad so it was a little more. Is Aphogee good for breakage? the peroxide in the color was too strong for my hair and it made it break really bad.

LP1177 said:
I'm in Vegas, and I think it is about $30, I only went once and I got 2 diffent conditioners becuase my hair is breaking so bad so it was a little more. Is Aphogee good for breakage? the peroxide in the color was too strong for my hair and it made it break really bad.

Aphogee is GREAT for breakage. Makes your hair very strong!

Back